Jake was fantastic

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Adorable double agent Gorden Tallis has submitted a column in today's Tower of Turd. If you don't know how these things work you might imagine he's actually put pen to paper because it carries his byline. So the entire article might seem like a quote. No. To protect the innocent, we still need to paraphrase it.

Gorden says the Broncos have given us a taste of what to expect under Kevin Walters but now they need to step up. He reckons we would've won had it not been for injuries to Matt Lodge (hamstring), Xavier Coates (neck) and John Asiata (shoulder), even after running out of petrol in the second half.

He was particularly impressed by the
"effort and attitude in defence" and how they "rattled the Eels early with their energy off the line" putting the Eels' playmakers under pressure. He says it was Milford's best control in years, taking "ownership in the first half" and pulling off "great passes and kicks." And that Milford appears to have returned to old and is praising the "impact Walters has on him as a player."

He describes Brodie Croft as having done his job, "backing up in support, having the odd run and kicking." But he singles out Jake Turpin, saying he was "fantastic at hooker with 47 tackles, including some bone-ringers on Parramatta’s big men."

Hremoteaxd

You will believe a man can fly

He says that although Brisbane lost there was "very little in the game and it could have gone either way. The Broncos didn’t get many decisions going their way." And reckons all the tries conceded could've been avoided with "some marginal defensive improvements and experience." That although Blake Ferguson is a "sensational finisher," more "experienced defenders would not have allowed him to get the ball down in the corner."

He couldn't fault even one Bronco for not wanting to win the game, and said they all tried their hardest for the full 80 minutes. He expects them to have their character tested again this Friday night against the Titans, and is talking up "a mouth-watering derby after the improvement the Titans showed last year." The Titans, now with added David Fifita have "another dimension to their game."

He says the Titans no longer expect to play "second fiddle" to the Broncos. Brisbane must "keep moving forward if they are to continue the long task of rebuilding Red Hill. They have set a platform and must not go backwards."

McHunt

Last edited:
wait, so ignore the opposite hooker who made more tackles and actually helped ice the game for his team?

Ignore Turps bombed try, his shithouse kick out of marker into the back of retreating defenders and handing possesion back to Parra on half way?

If we want the old boys back, then this type of dutch ruddering ISNT helpful...

Just call it as you see it. Turps was good yeh, but he had a impact on us losing as well.....dont just whitewash that away...

wait, so ignore the opposite hooker who made more tackles and actually helped ice the game for his team?

Ignore Turps bombed try, his shithouse kick out of marker into the back of retreating defenders and handing possesion back to Parra on half way?

If we want the old boys back, then this type of dutch ruddering ISNT helpful...

Just call it as you see it. Turps was good yeh, but he had a impact on us losing as well.....dont just whitewash that away...
Bad take

Tallis is a duplicite ****; last year he never once stopped sinking the boot in, now that Kevs back....all sunshine out of his arse...

Ridiculous.

Was Turps good on Friday night - yes
Was Turps really good last Friday night - yes
Was he fantastic...... no he wasnt.

I thought the other hooker out there was better. Sorry but my 2 cents...

Last edited:
why...its the truth..?
Tallis was taking about effort. No one showed more effort than Turpin. Turpin was also immense in defence and put on some great hits on far bigger men.

Ive spoken about the flaws in Turpin’s performance in several posts but being negative about a quote from Tallis acknowledging Turpin’s effort is a bit over the top.

Tallis even said that they need to keep improving (“moving forward”) if they want to rebuild the club. I don’t think it was whitewashing. Seemed like a pretty reasonable assessment from Tallis.

Why is how good the other hooker played relevant ?

Last edited:
..see above...
See what? That you think ‘really good’ vs ‘fantastic’ is worth having a dig about?

Tallis has given people plenty of reason to not like him but I think you’re being a bit silly.

See what? That you think ‘really good’ vs ‘fantastic’ is worth having a dig about?

Tallis has given people plenty of reason to not like him but I think you’re being a bit silly.
well...thats alright......suppose you can line up behind my wife in that case...

Perhaps my autism makes me too blunt at times....

My point is Parras number 9 had more imapct on that game than Turps did.

Granted, allowing his try (which should have been given) would have changed my mind on that...

well...thats alright......suppose you can line up behind my wife in that case...

Perhaps my autism makes me too blunt at times....

My point is Parras number 9 had more imapct on that game than Turps did.

Granted, allowing his try (which should have been given) would have changed my mind on that...
I agree with your assessments I just don’t think this is bad from Tallis.

All the boys put in good effort and plenty deserve praise but it’s all relative to expectations. Plenty of the parra players outplayed their bronco counterpart, doesn’t mean you can’t say anything positive just because they were outplayed.

Dude, lighten up.
I shudder to think how you would tackle the likes of Paulo and RCG in succession... for 80mns and still guide the team around at the ruck.

Let's see how he goes against Rein & the Titans next week to get a better gauge of his performances going forward.

Dude, lighten up.
I shudder to think how you would tackle the likes of Paulo and RCG in succession... for 80mns and still guide the team around at the ruck.

Let's see how he goes against Rein & the Titans next week to get a better gauge of his performances going forward.
Send the little Turpinator after Fifita or Tino. I reckon if he could shut one of them down

What annoys me about this statement (though I agree) is we are willing on one of the smallest blokes to hit hard. It should be TPJ’s job, or one of the other forwards.
Have to agree; when i read that Tallis quote about Turps hitting blokes bigger than him hard...i did wince...

The guy is already injury prone, and this is why. Now we want him to play 80 minutes AND hit guys bigger than him....

Thats isnt sustainable. We have very little depth behind him, we CANNOT afford him to go down for the year again

Better he doesnt try this, instead conserves his energy to make the right on field decisions at the right time.

That was, after all, the non-blunt version of what i was trying to say above.

If he can be counted upon defensively, be there to back up breaks/half breaks and get quality ball into the hands of our playmakers when they need it, he will have a successful season for us.

Trying to be some kind of enforcer around the ruck isnt his job...or shouldnt be...

Have to agree; when i read that Tallis quote about Turps hitting blokes bigger than him hard...i did wince...

The guy is already injury prone, and this is why. Now we want him to play 80 minutes AND hit guys bigger than him....

Thats isnt sustainable. We have very little depth behind him, we CANNOT afford him to go down for the year again

Better he doesnt try this, instead conserves his energy to make the right on field decisions at the right time.

That was, after all, the non-blunt version of what i was trying to say above.

If he can be counted upon defensively, be there to back up breaks/half breaks and get quality ball into the hands of our playmakers when they need it, he will have a successful season for us.

Trying to be some kind of enforcer around the ruck isnt his job...or shouldnt be...
It shouldn’t be but he only really started folding guys in the middle of the field toward the end when we were down on troops and our forwards were being dominated. It was exactly what was needed and if Milf had any football IQ, it very well could’ve been a big contributor to us winning the game.

Last edited:
yes...Milf....got a feeling we will revisit that lack of footy IQ a few more times this season....

Last edited:
For longevity sake Turps definitely needs to take a leaf out of C. Smith's book, we don't need him folding dudes in half, just quality effective tackles with less chance of hurting himself.

We mostly need him in attack, delivering quality ball and runs from dummy half getting us on the front foot.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Strop
  • mrslong
  • Manlyman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • davidp
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • Horseheadsup
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.