OFFICIAL James Roberts granted immediate release

Disagree. Our team is so slow he won't need to go past second gear.

That actually isn't true. There was a VERY recent article on NRL.com about player speeds and Oates rated a mention in the backs, while Haas and TPJ are the two fastest middle forwards in the game pretty much.
[automerge]1559104027[/automerge]
I might be in the minority but I hope bird sticks around,has had a shit run of luck with injuries.showed far more effort than the passenger jet.

It has never been that Bird isn't a good player or that he puts effort in, no one has questioned that. The problem is how much money he is on.

Last edited:
The buzz phrase over the last few years has been that the players need to buy in. Jimmy obviously didn't want to buy in so everybody wins, i guess.
I really wanted him to rise to the challenge and fight his way back but his disinterested nature shine through.

I wish him good luck but i fear once he gets back to Sydney, the old temptations will come back - Wayne or no Wayne.

Siebold is getting closer and closer to the team he wants...by extension hopefully the results us fans want too.

I still think it’s a while off. His only real signing is Seggy. He’s definitely swinging the axe though.

All the people saying the money we have spare from Nikorima and Roberts departing will be used on the retention of Lodge/TPJ/Oates I think are off the ball a little bit. Remember, we also released Kahu and McGuire at the start of the year and have only signed budget minimum contract players in their position.

Assuming reports of Nikorima was on about $250-300k and Roberts about $500k are correct, theres about $800k there. McGuire and Kahu likely contribute another $800k.

Lodge, TPJ and Oates all received upgraded deals for this year prior to losing any of these players. If we are to upgrade them further and continue with them moving forward I would be shocked if Lodge/Oates are getting more than an extra $100k/season, and TPJ maybe a little more.

Surely we are stacked for cash now... I say we buy a fullback and move Boyd to Centre/Wing if he doesn't retire...

Hopefully Roberts moving makes Bird want to leave too. I believe Roberts was his closest friend at the club. As good as Bird has been in his games this year before the injury, it's not worth the contract he is on.

If the rorters let go of a current NSW rep centre, a current Aus/ QLD forward, a current NZ halfback, and a former NZ player they'd be claiming they have 10 million dollars to spend.

If Wayne uses him like he did while he was here then we shouldn't worry too much. Unfortunately I think their halves will have a bit more say in that than ours did.
I do remember the first time he lined up opposite Copley and Copley ran rings around him. That wasn't the only game where Copley showed him up either.

There is a lot of South's dick riding going on in this thread. I fail to see how Roberts is going to improve their side. If anything his signing could be more of a disruption.

Hopefully after we smash the pricks in round 24 people will stop gushing over them.

As usual I'm backing our boys for the premiership!!

Roberts promised so much but didn't quite deliver on that as much as he should have.

His tag of being a match-winner and game-breaker, he didn't really live up to it all that much. I went through every single one of his tries for us and those moments just didn't happen all that often.

He could have done so much more with this side, but he didn't want to put in the effort to achieve that.

We’re not really going there that much lately anyway. Probably because dearden hasn’t been given much authority yet.
Yeah, but the better sides in the finals always shut down teams that only go one way. If we wanna be competitve in the long run, that edge will need to improve a lot.

Roberts promised so much but didn't quite deliver on that as much as he should have.

His tag of being a match-winner and game-breaker, he didn't really live up to it all that much. I went through every single one of his tries for us and those moments just didn't happen all that often.

He could have done so much more with this side, but he didn't want to put in the effort to achieve that.
Exactly why i am not upset that he is leaving.

Wayne can handle his fragile ego and try and get out of him what he couldnt get out of him while he was still our coach.

Good riddence.

The guys not a Bronco and never has been. When times get tough, he packs it in and buckles. Has a sook when Wayne leaves and doesn't want to put in for the team and the club. Drinks when he could be rehabbing and countless other negatives.

I want players that will bleed for the club and put the team first.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.