OFFICIAL James Roberts granted immediate release

All the people saying the money we have spare from Nikorima and Roberts departing will be used on the retention of Lodge/TPJ/Oates I think are off the ball a little bit. Remember, we also released Kahu and McGuire at the start of the year and have only signed budget minimum contract players in their position.

Assuming reports of Nikorima was on about $250-300k and Roberts about $500k are correct, theres about $800k there. McGuire and Kahu likely contribute another $800k.

Lodge, TPJ and Oates all received upgraded deals for this year prior to losing any of these players. If we are to upgrade them further and continue with them moving forward I would be shocked if Lodge/Oates are getting more than an extra $100k/season, and TPJ maybe a little more.

Surely we are stacked for cash now... I say we buy a fullback and move Boyd to Centre/Wing if he doesn't retire...

Hopefully Roberts moving makes Bird want to leave too. I believe Roberts was his closest friend at the club. As good as Bird has been in his games this year before the injury, it's not worth the contract he is on.

I'm both disappointed and relieved with this, I'm sad to lose the speed out wide, Jimmy really does lift the crowd when he gets the ball, but we don't want to be babysitting players or make concessions for guys who don't want to put in the effort or commit to the team.

It does mean tho that Bird (when fit) takes up his preferred right centre position and we are able to keep Staggs and use him on the left.

Oh no, your post just reminded me that my son’s favourite player is/was Roberts. Always looking out for the #3 jersey. How do I break the news to him???
giphy.gif

Can't say I missed him the last few weeks. Apart from speed every few weeks, he didn't seem to have much going on.

No point in keeping on him if his head isn't in the right place. I'm sure the club will be happy all the speculation swirling around him is gone and they can concentrate on getting on with the season.

It's a shame, no more exciting player to watch when he is switched on and in full flight.

Last edited:
Seibold wants effort and challenged jimmy to show he wanted to play first grade. Jimmy didnt show that he was willing to put in the effort to work his way back into the team. It was never going to work out

I am concerned about our outside back depth and speed in the team. Is there anyone with a bit of toe nearing first grade standard?

I know perese has been in the 21 a couple times but am concerned that he may get caught out defensively in first grade.

So disappointed in Roberts, but good riddance what a sulky little pea heart.

At least Jack Bird showed some gumption when he got injured, trying to play on.
To be fair, i think if Bird got offered the same money as his current deal, he would go back to Sydney too. Fact is, no one would give him anywhere near what we did... Not now anyway.

Siebold is getting closer and closer to the team he wants...by extension hopefully the results us fans want too.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Maroon4life
  • Fatboy
  • Bronco bob
  • broncs30
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hurrijo
  • Gaz
  • Lozza
  • Manofoneway
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • dasherhalo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.