OFFICIAL James Roberts granted immediate release

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The Brisbane Broncos have granted James Roberts an immediate release from the remainder of his contract on compassionate grounds.

Broncos CEO Paul White said Roberts had reached out to the Club and indicated his strong desire to return home to New South Wales with his partner and two young children.

“While we are disappointed to lose James, we understand his position – it wasn’t in the best interests of the Club to stand in the way of a player who has expressed a honest and strong desire to return home,” said White.

“We’ve always supported James since he arrived at our Club, and we have continued to work really hard over recent months to keep him at the Broncos.

“He has gone through tough times and great times with us. He has had two children and represented his state while being a Bronco.

“But he strongly feels that he needs to act in the best interests of his family, and that means returning to his family support network in New South Wales.

“All parties have worked together to facilitate a result that is best for all involved.

“These decisions are difficult for the player and for the Club, but one thing we do emphasise at the Broncos is that player welfare always comes into consideration when balancing decisions.

“This is the right decision for James, his family and our Club, and we thank James for all he has given to the Broncos and wish him all the best in the future.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/201...7FfIcXIO0T6Xqe7BihOdECJPLMteKu6qHPlDz0czp2364

James Roberts has been released from his contract on compassionate grounds

Admin please delete my other thread post. Obviously not needed now. *EDIT* You guys are quick haha.

This is sad to see but probably good for the club long term. I do think we should look to bring in another centre for the remainder of this year though. We don't have much backline potency and we will need that if we are to make the finals.

Alternative option, buy a fullback and move Boyd to centre.

Last edited:
Best for all parties. Though I wonder how he's going to go back in Sydney when he moved initially to get away from his troubles.

would love a player swap between him and Braidon Burns

This will only go one of two ways. I hope Jimmy keeps his head above water

Pretty disappointing that we'll never see Jimmy the Jet unleashed for us again. Regardless of his issues, he was still one of my favourite players to watch over the last few years.

If there's a bright side, it's that we can lock in TPJ & Oates now, should be no issues with funds.

So who do we even have as depth now?

Not much in the centres department..

If one of Staggs or Shibasaki go down we'll be looking at blooding a Perese, Niu, Farnworth or Coates.

More likely Perese or Niu, with the latter playing predominately wing.

Pathetic.... Bloke played with no heart all year and lost his spot.
Was drinking when he should have been rehabbing his injury and showing no commitment out on the field.
He gets dropped to reserve grade and instead of showing some toughness to fight his way back, he seeks release on 'compassionate grounds' to get out of the last 2 years of his contract.
Roberts is soft and a total quitter, Broncs deserve better and Staggs is already showing signs of becoming a superior player.

That's that then. Thank **** Staggs exploded onto the scene so swiftly.

I loved watching James when he was in open space. Very few backline players can be that exciting to watch, but he didn't do it anywhere near enough as he should have.

A lot of people put that at the feet of the coaches not utilizing him correctly, but now given the nature of his departure, I am comfortable putting it down to his own attitude. As soon as Bennett leaves, he cracks the sads which reflects in his own field form, Seibold axes him, and instead of taking it on the chin and fighting his way back into the side, he doubles down on the cracked sads, takes it personally, gets the shits with Seibold and suddenly he's "homesick".

Thanks for your service to the club James, but all signs are pointing to you being exactly the sort of toxicity that this club can do without.
[automerge]1559099457[/automerge]
Unsurprisingly, he's gone back to Souths

There goes the Inglis money.

Last edited:
Hope we aren’t paying a cent of his new interact.

He has asked for the release so we shouldn't be paying him anything. I wonder who will pick him up. Hopefully he can get on top of the challenges he faces.

EDIT: Just saw the above post, he'll probably come good for a while under Bennett and in a dominant team.

Last edited:
I just don’t want to see The Jet in full flight and in opposition colours against the Broncs .

We really need to sign some speed now. Our back 5 would have to be up there as the slowest in the comp surely... Oates is moderately quick once he gets going, but over 20m most of our players are stuck in sand...
[automerge]1559099518[/automerge]
So if we released him on compassionate grounds, that means we don't pay him a cent of what was left on his contract right?
Id assume so.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Foordy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • Stix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.