Josh Papalii vs Matt Gillett

Didn't this all start because of this post?

papabear said:
If you match up gillett with papalii, papalii eats him,

I think ol' papabear was one step ahead and bit off more than he could chew.

But seriously, both players are in the same league as one another and they're pivotal to each others side. I wouldn't bother ranking them because it would just be constantly changing through out the season.

Didn't this all start because of this post?

I think ol' papabear was one step ahead and bit off more than he could chew.

But seriously, both players are in the same league as one another and they're pivotal to each others side. I wouldn't bother ranking them because it would just be constantly changing through out the season.

Maybe Papabear is their version of Meady - he is actually Papalii, masquerading as a fan. The poor guy is just trying to drum up some appreciation for his work on the field, and we keep shooting him down.

Sorry Josh, we didn't realise it was you. You're a great player champ, different style to Gillett but just as important. Just, maybe stay off the typy typy posty posty machine, let us do the word things and you do the smash things.

Both good players, no need to decide "who's better" - the selectors of the rep sides will decide that. I'd be happy to have both though.

This started because I said I liked canberra's list more then the broncos list.

Someone did a match up of skins, giving a skin to gillett over whitehead and one to papalii over thaiday.

I just noted that it depends on who you compete for each skin, as I would give it to papalii if he competed with gillett...

But then I would take our early 90s teams over the broncos early 90s teams.

Just like I would take stuart over alfie.

So at this stage we're basing our picks off sentimentality and/or who we support? That's fine and all but there's no point bringing out stats if we revert back to this position, just say i'm biased but i prefer papalli, no one is going to hate you for that lol

This started because I said I liked canberra's list more then the broncos list.

Someone did a match up of skins, giving a skin to gillett over whitehead and one to papalii over thaiday.

I just noted that it depends on who you compete for each skin, as I would give it to papalii if he competed with gillett...

But then I would take our early 90s teams over the broncos early 90s teams.

Just like I would take stuart over alfie.

You mean the early '90s team that was busted for cheating the salary cap? I bet the Storm would take their '07 or '09 teams over yours...

Papa bear if gillets tackles are "cuddles", I can only think you have been missing some signals from the missus that all is not right. That or she's built like hulk hogan, possibly with a mustache to match. :p

Papalii, Gillett and Cordner are all about the same level IMO. Easily the best.

Gillett has the best sliding defense of any back rower in the league. He doesn't have the same impact as Papalii in attack but he can pull 1% plays out of nowhere and win games for you. See the end of last Fridays game for reference. Papalii is up there with the likes of Lolo in his ability to hurt the defensive line and draw in defenders. It's a bit apples and oranges to compare them outright, they're both brilliant in their own way.

So at this stage we're basing our picks off sentimentality and/or who we support? That's fine and all but there's no point bringing out stats if we revert back to this position, just say i'm biased but i prefer papalli, no one is going to hate you for that lol
Sentimentality obviously impact my opinion as it does to everyone to different degrees.

But yes I do genuinely believe the above ^^

If it makes you feel better I would take the broncos list from about 96 onwards to now.

Sentimentality obviously impact my opinion as it does to everyone to different degrees.

But yes I do genuinely believe the above ^^

If it makes you feel better I would take the broncos list from about 96 onwards to now.
I'm not insecure about an opp fan being on the boards/liking their players/talking their team up, it's refreshing. If you would take the Broncos from 96 onwards more power to you. I just think that at some stage our own biases come into play and we're best off recognizing that if we want to chat earnestly about players.

Ps. I like the Raiders, probably the clashes in the early 90's helped, so if Brisbane don't win I'd love to see you guys on the podium. A strong Canberra is good for the game.

Papa bear if gillets tackles are "cuddles", I can only think you have been missing some signals from the missus that all is not right. That or she's built like hulk hogan, possibly with a mustache to match. :p
Nigel Plum never had the highest tackle count.

We all know rugby league well enough to appreciate defenders defending in the corridor and where the attack should go.

If you are trevor gillmeistering people or doing to gallen what papa did to him, you should not be pushing 40 tackles a game, the attack simply should not be in your corridor that much.

The same argument was had on thegh about fensom. I liked him as a player, but tbh a second rower doing a shitload of tackles imo is a sign that, the opposition thinks that edge is better place to go then the people with lesser tackle counts.

Papalli is great to watch. He's one of the first players picked for the Maroons regardless of club form. He 'gets' Origin. Love the way he's been a terror to Gallen the last few years.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fozz
  • Shane Tronc
  • bert_lifts
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • teampjta
  • bb_gun
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • MrRobot
  • Santa
  • Bish
  • Old Mate
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.