OPINION Just another reason why Macca’s career is practically over

That ain't news lol he's been finished for years, it's just that we've only just finally found a coach who agrees

Last edited:
Turps isn’t overly speedy though is he? Next to McCullough he is but compared to others in the game 🤷🏼‍♂️

Turps isn’t overly speedy though is he? Next to McCullough he is but compared to others in the game 🤷🏼‍♂️
Next to Macca he's Linford Christie...ps mods headline should read "Just another reason..."
[automerge]1589320808[/automerge]
Ps I love the new rule, it will kill off the cynical penalties near the goal line. Keep resetting the 6 every time there is a penalty, and when the attacking team scores, then bin the last bloke to give away a penalty....

Last edited:
Yeah he wouldn't be top 5 or anything like that. He's light years quicker than Macca but he's probably only mid pack across the comp in terms of overall speed.

Only makes me shake my head once again about Segeyaro really...

Reinforces what I've been saying for a while though. The Dummy Half is rapidly becoming the most important position on the field, if it isn't already there. Teams who continue to pump money into Halves and don't adjust to invest heavily in top shelf Dummy Half talent will be left looking like dinosaurs before long.

Last edited:
I do and dont like this rule. If there was a way, somehow to give the team an option to take the kick sideline/goal vs another set? Even by default in the 20m zone on a goal line as some teams might strategically take the 2.

I don't mind it in the sense that a ref may be more inclined to give a 6 again as the impact isn't as big as a 30m kick for touch... so in that sense there may be more enforcing of the rules around the ruck

The other thing is they have only limited it to "ruck" penalties so theoretically offside, markers not square, etc. Are still full penalties.

I think what they might need to look at is repeat offence being a full penalty... so 3 resets in a row could be a full penalty??

Realistically the main thing they need to do is start calling professional fouls and penalty tries.

I don't watch a lot of union but it seems like they actually use the sin bin and call penalty tries... it seems like there is at least one sin bin a game for professional fouls... if there are multiple scrum penalties on the try line the ref just blows it up as a penalty try as the opposition is either deliberately stalling with penalties or unable to stop them from scoring.

In the NRL they will basically be next to the dummy half and tackle them in order to prevent a try... it's the most blatant professional foul in the game and it's more prevalent than ever, but is never treated as a professional foul. It's like they've completely forgotten the rule even exists

Really well said
I don't mind it in the sense that a ref may be more inclined to give a 6 again as the impact isn't as big as a 30m kick for touch... so in that sense there may be more enforcing of the rules around the ruck

The other thing is they have only limited it to "ruck" penalties so theoretically offside, markers not square, etc. Are still full penalties.

I think what they might need to look at is repeat offence being a full penalty... so 3 resets in a row could be a full penalty??

Realistically the main thing they need to do is start calling professional fouls and penalty tries.

I don't watch a lot of union but it seems like they actually use the sin bin and call penalty tries... it seems like there is at least one sin bin a game for professional fouls... if there are multiple scrum penalties on the try line the ref just blows it up as a penalty try as the opposition is either deliberately stalling with penalties or unable to stop them from scoring.

In the NRL they will basically be next to the dummy half and tackle them in order to prevent a try... it's the most blatant professional foul in the game and it's more prevalent than ever, but is never treated as a professional foul. It's like they've completely forgotten the rule even exists

I do and dont like this rule. If there was a way, somehow to give the team an option to take the kick sideline/goal vs another set? Even by default in the 20m zone on a goal line as some teams might strategically take the 2.
You might get teams giving away ruck penalties intentionally so teams CAN'T take the two.

So yes, if you get 3 in a row it absolutely should be a professional foul. Something like that

Let's not all of a sudden pretend Turpin is some colossal running from dummy half just because we hate Macca. Look at some stats:

Rd 2 - 5 DHR for 48m (Macca 2 DHR for 18)
Rd 1 - 3 DHR for 21m (Macca 2 DHR for 28)

Go back to round 15 last year 32 possession with 0 runs coming off the bench.

I don't like the rule. The first thing I would do as a player is give the 6 again especially early in the count if I thought the D was gone or stretched to the limit. The penalty doesn't get any worse if you are deliberately playing for time to let the D reset

Last edited:
Some smartass coach will find a way to take advantage of another kneejerk and unnecessary rule change. They always do.

He's fast enough to catch defence napping and score tries off the back of it.

I think Seibold has given his DH's a license to run if they see an opportunity (based solely on more running from Macca), but potentially Turpin hasn't quite let himself off the leash just yet.

I've noticed a couple times where he could've run, but chose to pass instead. Whether that comes down to Turps being happy to give the ball to Croft and let him do his thing (unselfishly for the team, as there are DH's that will run on 4th with no support) or he's feeling his way into the starting side and keeping things simple (strong defence, clean ball to the halves and support any line breaks).

As has been stated he's not an electric DH and was also a halfback coming through the juniors... so potentially he's not fully aware at this stage of when to run or how to work over the markers.

This could be something he works on during training, to build that confidence up before actually doing it during games.

Last edited:
I think Seibold has given his DH's a license to run if they see an opportunity (based solely on more running from Macca), but potentially Turpin hasn't quite let himself off the leash just yet.

I've noticed a couple times where he could've run, but chose to pass instead. Whether that comes down to Turps being happy to give the ball to Croft and let him do his thing (unselfishly for the team, as there are DH's that will run on 4th with no support) or he's feeling his way into the starting side and keeping things simple (strong defence, clean ball to the halves and support any line breaks).

As has been stated he's not an electric DH and was also a halfback coming through the juniors... so potentially he's not fully aware at this stage of when to run or how to work over the markers.

This could be something he works on during training, to build that confidence up before actually doing it during games.
But to already say that Turpin is a better runner out of dummy half than Macca just because 'we' hate Macca is false. The stats back it up. He doesn't run from dummy half.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • eggstar10
  • Manofoneway
  • Socnorb
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.