Kahu and Glenn to re-sign

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/b096ee7d6dbce84949fe23765b8e9ac7

THE Broncos have staved off poaching raids on Alex Glenn and Jordan Kahu, with the Kiwi Test duo to sign new deals as part of Brisbane’s $4 million retention drive.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos are in the final stages of negotiations with Glenn and Kahu, who will sign two-year upgrades to remain at Red Hill until the end of 2019.
New Zealand Test backrower Glenn fielded interest from three NRL rivals, while Kahu last month revealed he was considering a switch to rugby union, the sport he played as a child.
But the Broncos will win the battle for their signatures and plan to formally announce the re-signing of Glenn and Kahu after Friday night’s derby against the Titans.

For Glenn, the timing of his retention could not be better — the 28-year-old is due to celebrate his 200th first-grade game on Friday week against South Sydney.
The Broncos will outlay $1.6 million collectively to secure Glenn and Kahu, whose deals are worth around $400,000 annually, while five-eighth teammate Anthony Milford is on the verge of inking a $2.7 million extension.

Good mates Glenn and Kahu have virtually become a package deal at Red Hill. In 2015, the pair announced new two-year deals on the same day and once again the Kiwi comrades are committing to concurrent contracts at the Broncos.
Speculation was rife Warriors coach Steve Kearney was eyeing off Glenn, with whom he worked during his tenure as a Broncos assistant, but the backrower confirmed he is staying loyal.
“The Broncos have done a lot for me,” Glenn said.
“We’re still going back and forth but there’s been a lot of progress and the deal is getting closer (to completion)

“My family is settled in. I have a young daughter now so we’re pretty settled here. We’re still negotiating but it’s getting closer and things are looking good.”
Kahu and Glenn forged a special bond during the utility back’s brave fightback from two knee reconstructions.

While Kahu spent nearly two years out of the game, Glenn would take the field with the initials “JK” written on his wristbands in a bid to lift his spirits.
The Broncos regard Kahu, who has played 61 NRL games, as a key member of their backline and Glenn is confident the 26-year-old is going nowhere.
“I’d love to play more years with him,” Glenn said. “Hopefully we can both re-sign here and make some more memories out on the field.
“But it’s his decision. He has a young family to support too, and I’ll support him in whatever decision he makes.”

This is good
We are slowly locking our roster up

Couldn't be happier that we are locking up both players for a further 2 years.

$400k a year is pretty decent value imo, would've probably preferred 1 year deals to be safe, but can't argue with 2.

I get this feeling that Glenn will get surpassed by a number of players by some point next year. Certainly Pangai and Ese'ese.

400K for a winger, that's a bit rich

Wingers are very important these days. Good wingers can get sets off to a good start, a lot of them are very acrobatic and can finish off almost unbelievable tries, and are very important in defending against kicks. Honestly, a gun winger is much more valuable than a gun centre these days IMO. Not a throwaway position like in the past. Kicking goals is a bonus too.

Besides, you are just mad they are blocking you from playing FG. :p

Wingers are very important these days. Good wingers can get sets off to a good start, a lot of them are very acrobatic and can finish off almost unbelievable tries, and are very important in defending against kicks. Honestly, a gun winger is much more valuable than a gun centre these days IMO. Not a throwaway position like in the past. Kicking goals is a bonus too.

Besides, you are just mad they are blocking you from playing FG. :p
Im well aware of the importance of wingers.

Im probably a little slow getting use to the "Broncos Salary Cap"

Last edited:
I get this feeling that Glenn will get surpassed by a number of players by some point next year. Certainly Pangai and Ese'ese.
I hope so considering Glenn is pushing 30 and these guys are up and comers.

Im well aware of the importance of wingers.

Im probably a little slow getting use to the "Broncos Salary Cap"
How is it any worse than clubs who replace their whole team every three years and offer million dollar contracts over 23 years?

Just a question why dont the broncs play with glen on an edge, push thaiday in the middle and sims to the bench?

Can't complain, both could have got more $$ or a longer deal on the open market. Great show of loyalty by to great clubmen.

If I was running the club I'd have probably offered Glenn 50kish less a year. Love the bloke and it pains me to say it because he could earn so much more elsewhere. But I agree with others, we're still too stacked on backrowers. Especially with the Jnrs we've got coming through and Oates (who I firmly believe belongs in the back row).

I hate to say it but it might be time to let sam know, this might be his last season. I just get the impression, the days of him being a top flight consistant second rower may be drawing to an end, and there are options that if not now, then certainly by next season will be capable of filling the whole he might leave. He has been a great player and at this moment continúes to be, but the consistancies of performance is becoming less certain, the last few seasons. His mentoring of the young forwards will be invaluable this season, but next year, i think we can move on.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • broncoscope
  • Redfern_1980
  • FACTHUNT
  • Gaz
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Mpost
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.