Karmichael Hunt - Highlights.

Karmichael picked the right time to get out. He wasn't getting any faster, in fact he was already in the process of retiring his kamikaze runs which only left the second-man play and other teams were already beginning to utilise it and to better effect. I struggle to see him being right up there with the JTs, Smiths, Slaters, Cronks, Inglis' moving forward, especially with Lockyer's impending retirement. At best he would have been a good club player in the same vein as a Hodges, that is if he could keep his head straight which was looking extremely doubtful in his final couple of seasons at the club.

That's not taking anything away from his rookie seasons, he was extradinary but I think it was just as likely that he'd peaked.

Safe to say we win at least 2011 if he stuck around.

Warriors were never beating Manly but we would’ve beaten them in the prelim with Hunt there and Lockyer 100% plays his last game being a grand final

Karmichael picked the right time to get out. He wasn't getting any faster, in fact he was already in the process of retiring his kamikaze runs which only left the second-man play and other teams were already beginning to utilise it and to better effect. I struggle to see him being right up there with the JTs, Smiths, Slaters, Cronks, Inglis' moving forward, especially with Lockyer's impending retirement. At best he would have been a good club player in the same vein as a Hodges, that is if he could keep his head straight which was looking extremely doubtful in his final couple of seasons at the club.

That's not taking anything away from his rookie seasons, he was extradinary but I think it was just as likely that he'd peaked.
Agreed Pete......he had limited ability, of which he utilised to its fullest. Beyond that......well, the remainder of his career speaks volumes.

I thought his second man plays just kept getting better with each new year. He did start to protect his body more as he was preparing to leave, but I thought his passes and short kicks in 2009 were some of the best of his career.

He wasn't super quick, but he was sort of like a better version of Boyd in almost every area (his one on one tackling was similar to Boyd's last 2 years).

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve never seen a fullback with a short kicking game as effective as his was. I think he would have moved into 6 and been amazing for us there.

I thought his second man plays just kept getting better with each new year. He did start to protect his body more as he was preparing to leave, but I thought his passes and short kicks in 2009 were some of the best of his career.

He wasn't super quick, but he was sort of like a better version of Boyd in almost every area (his one on one tackling was similar to Boyd's last 2 years).
That's a fair point, he actually had a career-high 22 try assists (the best of any fullback) and 16 line-break assists (second to Slater). It was largely off the back of his work early in the season where he combined well with Wallace down that left hand-edge.

Still, it used to be a real point of difference for Hunt, but as we saw it became a very common feature among fullbacks in the competition who could run that play as well as excel in other areas.

Its been reported in the Courier Mail that Karmichael Hunt has signed up with South's Logan. It suggests that his focus is playing for South's Logan and a transition into coaching. But “if someone might need a hand somewhere’’ he would consider joining a NRL team if offered a spot.

Hunt has suggested he wasn't getting any better at league. And needed a new challenge which is why he went and played for the Suns. I think that was a cover for that the Suns offer in terms of money was too good to refuse.

But I wonder if Hunt would have got better if he stayed in league. He seemed like a quality player, but may have needed more in his repertoire to preserve his longevity. I think Benji Marshall has been good the last couple of years, but without his speed he isn't close as effective at his peak. Remember he had a couple of very average years at the Dragons.

Also some who have suggested Hunt would have made more money if he stayed in league are kidding. That Suns offer was too good to refuse. There is no way he would come out ahead if he stayed in league. But certainly did cause his career to be much about everything, but in terms of legacy absolutely nothing after swapping codes twice.

Its been reported in the Courier Mail that Karmichael Hunt has signed up with South's Logan. It suggests that his focus is playing for South's Logan and a transition into coaching. But “if someone might need a hand somewhere’’ he would consider joining a NRL team if offered a spot.

Hunt has suggested he wasn't getting any better at league. And needed a new challenge which is why he went and played for the Suns. I think that was a cover for that the Suns offer in terms of money was too good to refuse.

But I wonder if Hunt would have got better if he stayed in league. He seemed like a quality player, but may have needed more in his repertoire to preserve his longevity. I think Benji Marshall has been good the last couple of years, but without his speed he isn't close as effective at his peak. Remember he had a couple of very average years at the Dragons.

Also some who have suggested Hunt would have made more money if he stayed in league are kidding. That Suns offer was too good to refuse. There is no way he would come out ahead if he stayed in league. But certainly did cause his career to be much about everything, but in terms of legacy absolutely nothing after swapping codes twice.

I think he would have taken over from lockyer at 6 if he stayed in league

recycled story ... they first reported that last month

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Justwin
  • Tim K
  • Manlyman
  • Fatboy
  • theshed
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrRobot
  • Manifesto
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Shane Tronc
  • Stix
  • Mustafur
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.