VOTE Kev’s end of season mark

How do you rate Kev’s 2021 performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If we can get one more piece or two in that are unexpected over the offseason, I actually think we COULD make top 4. I am not saying it will happen but there is enough in these kids to think another offseason and the two big ins, well things are looking up. We also will have an elite halfback for the first time since Hunt and really solid depth with x factor on every line, still all with massive upside.

We have the best prop in the comp, one of the few elite centres as well. We'll have a rollercoaster again with some games we should win but lose and some where we get belted but remember, the quality of this comp in general is absolutely trash, so it is really a possibility.

He’ll be judged far more harshly because he’s had a chance to shape the roster and coach a stronger one through a season.
What he has done is not 'shape' the roster as his own regardless of whatever spin the media will try to put on it... they are cutting a shit ton of dead wood and crap contracts to create some sort of cap room that will actually allow re-shaping of the roster.

Next year's roster is probably marginally better than this year's roster purely through the addition of Reynolds and Capewell, but it is nowhere near a top 4 roster.

We've cut arguably 10 players who can be considered starting 17 worthy from this year's roster (Coates, Glenn, Milford, Bullemor, TPJ, Lodge, Levi, Asiata, Croft and Dearden) and replaced them with 2 genuine players and the rest being depth players.

Anyone who believes Kevvie actually thinks this is a top 4 team is just looking for ammunition to fire at him.

He's been spewing that sort of narrative since he was given the job, but it's mostly just lip service. "broncos are about playing finals", "do you think you can win a comp within 3yrs? Yep", etc.

Last time broncos mentioned anything related to a rebuild the media jumped all over us and we retracted the statement straight away and pretended like we were still looking at finals, whilst systematically cutting half the squad and paying other teams to take our crap.

Kevvie is there to change the culture and create a "no excuses" environment... broncos are finals and he's trying to make that mean something to the players again, but we are nowhere fucking near having a competent squad yet.

What he has done is not 'shape' the roster as his own regardless of whatever spin the media will try to put on it... they are cutting a shit ton of dead wood and crap contracts to create some sort of cap room that will actually allow re-shaping of the roster.

Next year's roster is probably marginally better than this year's roster purely through the addition of Reynolds and Capewell, but it is nowhere near a top 4 roster.

We've cut arguably 10 players who can be considered starting 17 worthy from this year's roster (Coates, Glenn, Milford, Bullemor, TPJ, Lodge, Levi, Asiata, Croft and Dearden) and replaced them with 2 genuine players and the rest being depth players.

Anyone who believes Kevvie actually thinks this is a top 4 team is just looking for ammunition to fire at him.

He's been spewing that sort of narrative since he was given the job, but it's mostly just lip service. "broncos are about playing finals", "do you think you can win a comp within 3yrs? Yep", etc.

Last time broncos mentioned anything related to a rebuild the media jumped all over us and we retracted the statement straight away and pretended like we were still looking at finals, whilst systematically cutting half the squad and paying other teams to take our crap.

Kevvie is there to change the culture and create a "no excuses" environment... broncos are finals and he's trying to make that mean something to the players again, but we are nowhere fucking near having a competent squad yet.
Yeah, he / we are at least a year or two away from completely washing away all the remnants of glaring roster mistakes (probably more if consider Lodge’s deal) but my main point is he’s had a chance to do some shaping.

Yeah, he / we are at least a year or two away from completely washing away all the remnants of glaring roster mistakes (probably more if consider Lodge’s deal) but my main point is he’s had a chance to do some shaping.
I think any 'shaping' that he's doing has been good... he's somehow managed to convince Reynolds and Capewell to sign and the culling appears to be mostly for cultural or salary cap reasoning.

I don't think it should be considered 'his' roster though... he's having to shape a cluster **** created by past management, and it is still far far away from being a powerhouse roster.

I just hope he gets the opportunity to coach through 2023, because there is an opportunity for the roster to be more like 'his' at that point... and I would much prefer that than a roster that is 'Paul Green's' because Kevvie gets sacked for taking a reserve grade squad to 10th

I think any 'shaping' that he's doing has been good... he's somehow managed to convince Reynolds and Capewell to sign and the culling appears to be mostly for cultural or salary cap reasoning.

I don't think it should be considered 'his' roster though... he's having to shape a cluster **** created by past management, and it is still far far away from being a powerhouse roster.

I just hope he gets the opportunity to coach through 2023, because there is an opportunity for the roster to be more like 'his' at that point... and I would much prefer that than a roster that is 'Paul Green's'
Yeah I agree. It probably won't be his "roster" for another year or so. I think talk of top 4 is over the top. I'd be stoked if we can scrape into the top 8.

I just hope he gets the opportunity to coach through 2023, because there is an opportunity for the roster to be more like 'his' at that point... and I would much prefer that than a roster that is 'Paul Green's' because Kevvie sacked for taking a reserve grade squad to 10th
This is a really good point. They both signed for market value, indeed Reynolds could have got more at the Sharks.

My point? Walters managed to get two really good, bordering on great (not in the ‘all time great’ context, but rather the fact they’re in the top echelon of current players in their respective positions), players without paying overs to get them.

We are no longer a powerhouse club, indeed at that time we were the reigning wooden spoon team. So their signing for market value should not be understated.

Yeah we aren’t making top 4. 7-11 is my (admittedly wide net) prediction.

I will say one thing about Kev, despite my criticism earlier in the season I do think he’s so far looking like the best broncos coach not named Wayne. Weak competition though.

Yeah the bench use was amateur hour until about 4 weeks ago. He seems to have figured it out though, which is nice.

Though playing Mead in the middle was pretty cooked.
I think the idea was to use Mead as a ball playing lock since he has quite a bit of spine experience, Oates doesn't have much ball skills so if he was in the middle it would be exclusively as prop.

A stop gap obviously though due to Levi's injury, would of been better to use a Hooker in that role.

I think the idea was to use Mead as a ball playing lock since he has quite a bit of spine experience, Oates doesn't have much ball skills so if he was in the middle it would be exclusively as prop.
Pretty wacky idea. Mead was far from a ball playing fullback.

Pretty wacky idea. Mead was far from a ball playing fullback.
He still has alot more skills then Oates who probably has less ball skills then anyone in the team.

Personally I would of just put Mead in the Centres and play Herbie in Lock, they didn't play down his side in the second half anyway.

Yeah we aren’t making top 4. 7-11 is my (admittedly wide net) prediction.

I will say one thing about Kev, despite my criticism earlier in the season I do think he’s so far looking like the best broncos coach not named Wayne. Weak competition though.
I don’t think you’re being overly vague or fence-sitting with that prediction.

7-11 is a pretty narrow window really.

If you look at this years top 8, the top 4 are definitely better than us. But based on our form to close out the year, I don’t think we are too far behind the Roosters and are arguably even or better than 6-8. Looking outside the 8, I don’t think there is a team that finished the season in better form than we did, so finishing sixth next year isn’t a ridiculous ambition.

I genuinely feel we can achieve that and will be disappointed if we don’t (obviously a horror injury toll etc. might temper my expectations).

He still has alot more skills then Oates who probably has less ball skills then anyone in the team.

Personally I would of just put Mead in the Centres and play Herbie in Lock, they didn't play down his side in the second half anyway.
I would’ve just put Oates in the second row and Mead in the wing.

I would’ve just put Oates in the second row and Mead in the wing.
There was no lock rotation for Kobe in our squad, Riki played there the game before and was terrible for the short time he played middle especially in defence and **** having Glenn there.

There was no lock rotation for Kobe in our squad, Riki played there the game before and was terrible for the short time he played middle especially in defence and **** having Glenn there.
I don't think there were any forwards left in our squad for the last game... Flegler had just copped a suspension as the new TPJ and Piakura copped a 2 week suspension within 6min of his debut game.

NSWRL had literally obliterated our squad and yet we still managed to beat one of their darling teams with a fucking winger having to play in the middle.

At one point our middle was Bull, Kobe and Mead 😶😶😶

I don’t think you’re being overly vague or fence-sitting with that prediction.

7-11 is a pretty narrow window really.

If you look at this years top 8, the top 4 are definitely better than us. But based on our form to close out the year, I don’t think we are too far behind the Roosters and are arguably even or better than 6-8. Looking outside the 8, I don’t think there is a team that finished the season in better form than we did, so finishing sixth next year isn’t a ridiculous ambition.

I genuinely feel we can achieve that and will be disappointed if we don’t (obviously a horror injury toll etc. might temper my expectations).
I think talent wise we aren't too bad it's just backing up week in, week out for 26 rounds and then finals. I think we'll lose plenty of games again we should win.

The problem I have with a contract like that is that a coach could be forced to produce instant success even if it means stuffing up the salary cap long term by spending poorly, something that has happened across the NRL a number of times in recent years. Hopefully it works out, but the Broncos obviously have major PTSD from the Seibold situation.

The problem I have with a contract like that is that a coach could be forced to produce instant success even if it means stuffing up the salary cap long term by spending poorly, something that has happened across the NRL a number of times in recent years. Hopefully it works out, but the Broncos obviously have major PTSD from the Seibold situation.
I’d be surprised if Kev has too much control over the cap. I think Ikin and Dave would step in if it wasn’t good long term.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • mrslong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • levikaden
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.