VOTE Kev’s end of season mark

How do you rate Kev’s 2021 performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’d be surprised if Kev has too much control over the cap. I think Ikin and Dave would step in if it wasn’t good long term.
yep , I'd say kev would say i need said type player and then it would be out of his hands.

I'm not sure if I like this or not ... but here are some details from the article
  • open ended contract with no fixed term
  • no pay out if the club sack Kevvie
  • The club have to give Kevvie 3 months notice should they decide to sack him
  • As part of the deal, the club has given Walters the licence to go shopping and bolster his football department.
  • the deal will include performance bonuses for Walters should he steer us to the finals, the top four or the club’s first premiership in 15 years.
  • The deal is not all skewed towards the Broncos. Currently on a salary of $400,000, Walters will earn major bonuses if he meets Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), such as making the playoffs.
  • Donaghy and Ikin are also on standard contracts with no fixed term

Kevvie says:

“I’m not expecting any favours from anyone here,”

“I have to perform,” Walters said.

“Every club has to get results and we’re no different.

“I’ve said for a while I want to be here long term and I intend to do that. But I’m not a fool either. I’m not kidding myself. It’s about getting results and I need to get results to stay in the role which is pretty clear.

“I want to be here for longer. We’ve had some player movement which hasn’t provided stability and what the Broncos need is stability across the playing group and the coaching staff.

“I never saw myself as a short-term appointment. I want to be here for a while, but to do that everybody at the Broncos has to perform and I’m no different.”

Kevvie's manager, Chris Orr, says:

“The Broncos want Kevvie to be their long-term successful coach,” he said.

“The Broncos are looking to throw all their support around Kevvie by increasing resources, whilst taking away any contractual questions by entering an employment agreement.

“This means Kevvie will be rewarded on results whilst also increasing stability across the club.”

Dave Donaghy says:

“We’re in discussions with Kevin, so I’d prefer not to (comment) for now,” Donaghy said.

“Look, Kev’s our coach. He’s our guy and he’s determined to succeed.

“There’s been quite a bit of change here in recent times, but we feel that with a number of things falling into place, the opportunity exists to build on where we currently are.

“We’ve prioritised investment in our football program and supporting our coach, staff and players.

“The growth I’ve seen in Kev as a coach and in the program led by Ben Ikin (head of football) has been tremendous.

“The pre-season starts Monday and we believe the group led by Kev will continue to grow on the gains we saw at the back end of last season.

“It’s for them to do, but I’ve got the confidence and belief in them that they will.”

“There’s real value in stability and continuity. I’ve been really impressed with Kevvie in the last three to four months. He’s certainly grown.”

p.s. If Kevvie is on 400k a season right now, that would make him one of the lowest paid coaches in the league

Badel also says, and for once i agree, that this could change the way coaches are contracted in the future. it's basically the same sort of employment contract everyone else has

I hope the part of that report that says kevvie will be sacked if we don’t make the 8 next year is wrong.
Whilst I am confident we can improve I think it’s line ball about us making the 8.
If say we Finnish 10th that would still be an improvement and I wouldn’t want kevvie sacked under those circumstances.

I hope the part of that report that says kevvie will be sacked if we don’t make the 8 next year is wrong.
Whilst I am confident we can improve I think it’s line ball about us making the 8.
If say we Finnish 10th that would still be an improvement and I wouldn’t want kevvie sacked under those circumstances.

the report doesn't say what will trigger the club to sack Kevvie.

it says that there is no end date to the contract, bonuses for hitting certain KPI's (like finals, top 4, premiership etc) and the club have to give him a period of notice (believed to be 3 months) should they decide to sack him

If they don’t make the eight, maybe he should be. We never tolerated not making the finals and I rue the early 2010’s when it became ‘okay’

It’s clear this new administration are Russian for success and determined to Polish the turd that the Broncos had sadly become.

The three month's notice is fairly meaningless. They could sack him and simply pay out the three months' notice period.

I can only take this as the club having doubts over whether Kevvie is the man to take us forward.

It can’t be true. Because it also states he gets a bonus if we make the 8.

If the contract states that either he gets a top 8 bonus or he gets sacked for not making the 8 then his salary isn’t $400k - it’s whatever the amount is he makes for making it to the finals..

The problem I have with a contract like that is that a coach could be forced to produce instant success even if it means stuffing up the salary cap long term by spending poorly, something that has happened across the NRL a number of times in recent years. Hopefully it works out, but the Broncos obviously have major PTSD from the Seibold situation.
No coach should ever plan for their potential successor
All the best coaches in the game don’t do that so why should we
Every team should be thinking win now not in 5 years time if everything goes right

The three month's notice is fairly meaningless. They could sack him and simply pay out the three months' notice period.

I can only take this as the club having doubts over whether Kevvie is the man to take us forward.

I'm not so sure about that. the article reported that both Ikin and DD are on similar types of employment contracts with no fixed term. so they've likely got their own KPIs they need to meet.

there's a comment in the article that says (and i tend to agree) that the club have overhauled their entire contracting mentality over the past 12 months. probably because we had to give Seibold $1.5 million for winning us our first wooden spoon.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • pennywisealfie
  • Fitzy
  • Dazza 92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.