Kev and players cop it from former trainer

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

“A lot of it was Kevvie having ‘yes men’,” said Burgess, who oversaw conditioning sessions with Broncos stars including Payne Haas, Adam Reynolds, Pat Carrigan and Reece Walsh, on radio station 4BC.
“So you just don’t argue with the boss
“I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches.“They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’
“They quite enjoy that feedback and then compliment you on that kind of feedback.“Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway.
“I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership.“The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to ... if the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.”
Asked if Broncos players are too pampered and need a reality check, Burgess said: “110 per cent. Get them a job. Get them studying at TAFE where I am (doing mentoring).
“Stop having them sign autographs and take selfies with fans all day, and get them out there earning their money.“They are paid ridiculous money. Go out and earn it. Go and do some studying. Go to old people’s homes. Do some work. Go and tidy up a cemetery.
“Do something productive for society, not just collect your money.”
“Ben Ikin, for me, he’s the greatest loss that club’s ever had,” Burgess said.
“The worst decision ever made was to let Ben Ikin go. Secondly, it would have been losing (Tom) Flegler, Herbie Farnworth and Kurt Capewell.
“They need big, big changes. Massive changes.
“Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support.
“Review what happened in the last two weeks and make decisions off that.
“The issue is, will the Broncos do it? Are they a protected species? Will they continue to lose?“They haven’t won anything since 2006.
“You’ve got to be trained for greatness. The Broncos are a great club ... they need to get back on that pedestal.”
“I would hate to be a Broncos supporter today. They are being let down,” said Burgess.“It’s not how a rugby league team should run.
“Two biggest things that shocked me ... one, there were way too many mirrors in the gym and two, you weren’t allowed to sweat, and if you did, you carried a towel with you.
“This palatial gymnasium they have looks more like a hairdressing salon.“First and foremost, it was the number of staff they had.
“In 2000, it was Wayne Bennett, Craig (Bellamy), Dan Baker, probably the best weights coach ever, two physios, myself and Chris Haseman the wrestling coach and we were winning premierships.
“Wayne Bennett won many titles in a rusted old gym beside the bowls club.“I walked into the Broncos in 2022 and there’s a trainer per player doing something that justified their existence and position there.
“I asked that quite regularly (the club having excessive staff) and was mowed down for my comments.“It was a bit of a power trip for a lot of their staff.
“In the last two weeks, the Broncos have leaked (90) points.
“One of Wayne’s classic lines at any (pre-season) camp or program is, defence is about attitude.
“The Broncos have let (90) points leak in the last two weeks ... how do you reckon the players’ attitude is?“What you have in your heart goes onto the ground. That’s what I tried to drive, ‘Train hard, fight easy’, and Bennett loved it.
“They have this high-performance centre worth millions and millions of dollars, it’s the benchmark in the competition ... clearly it’s not showing on the field.”

There's a lot of the same old tired platitudes in here like "defence is attitude" and "go out and get a real job", but he isn't saying anything the majority of us around here haven't been screaming about for years. This club IS filled with some overly pampered, pooncy little pricks who are either too arrogant or too dumb to appreciate how good they have it, and clearly nobody in the current coaching staff has the guts or the temperament to call them out on it. I seriously wonder if even the powers higher up than Kev are terrified of these same players walking away and the subsequent media feeding frenzy that would follow. "BREAKING NEWS: CLUB IN CHAOS, EXODUS BEGINS, COBBO SIGNS WITH ROOSTERS"

I feel like we are all broken records, we were demanding harsher standards and reality checks for this mob the year we won the spoon. It has not happened.

A big issue is that we senicided all the older players out of the team around 2019/2020. That left a team full of young players who were expected to set standards for even younger players.

Capewell and Reynolds almost tipped the scales back in the right direction then we swiftly pushed Capewell out for a 20 year old.

People will say Taupau but Taupau is notoriously social media obsessed. To the point of it being cringy for his age, even by NRL standards.

It’s a bunch or rugby league latchkey kids who have grown up a little and are now expected to be the role models they never had.

The club officially died the day Matt Gillett retired.

We can’t just wait for Haas and Patty to grow into experienced players, they’ve never had experienced players to learn from. We need to import them like we did Capewell and Reyno.

A big issue is that we senicided all the older players out of the team around 2019/2020. That left a team full of young players who were expected to set standards for even younger players.

Capewell and Reynolds almost tipped the scales back in the right direction then we swiftly pushed Capewell out for a 20 year old.

People will say Taupau but Taupau is notoriously social media obsessed. To the point of it being cringy for his age, even by NRL standards.

It’s a bunch or rugby league latchkey kids who have grown up a little and are now expected to be the role models they never had.

The club officially died the day Matt Gillett retired.

We can’t just wait for Haas and Patty to grow into experienced players, they’ve never had experienced players to learn from. We need to import them like we did Capewell and Reyno.

Senicided ............

Not Bad GIF by Zara Larsson

We need to show some confidence in our development pathways to let go of guys like Staggs, Piakura, Riki, Cobbo, Mariner and use some of their money to bring in experience.

2 - 3 Capewell type signings. Origin or internationals that are winding down. Much like the Dolphins have done.

Frizell
Gagai
Papalii
Arrow
Welch
Leota
Tapine
DWZ
Safiti

There you go broncos, end of season review done.put a broom through the place please.

No sweating in the gym, that'll do me.

Its actually scary that stuff i heard about a long time ago is coming out in this article. Pretty sure i mentioned it here ages ago about how some of these entitled players actually had hissy fits about the type of FREE car they were getting.

Its actually scary that stuff i heard about a long time ago is coming out in this article. Pretty sure i mentioned it here ages ago about how some of these entitled players actually had hissy fits about the type of FREE car they were getting.
The club has allowed this shit for way too long. This isn’t a new thing.

We need to show some confidence in our development pathways to let go of guys like Staggs, Piakura, Riki, Cobbo, Mariner and use some of their money to bring in experience.

2 - 3 Capewell type signings. Origin or internationals that are winding down. Much like the Dolphins have done.

Frizell
Gagai
Papalii
Arrow
Welch
Leota
Tapine
DWZ
Safiti
DWZ is one of the best in the comp in my opinion. I reckon he'd rather part with a leg than leave NZ.

It's not no sweating- no working hard. It's no sweating on equipment players get boils. For hygiene you can't sweat all over everything.
Yeah was going to say isn't the sweating and carrying a towel around thing just gym etiquette...

Like if you're done with a machine or bench wipe the fucking thing down with a towel... like every person everywhere is required to do at a gym.

Yeah was going to say isn't the sweating and carrying a towel around thing just gym etiquette...

Like if you're done with a machine or bench wipe the fucking thing down with a towel... like every person everywhere is required to do at a gym.

Yeah I wasn't reading much into that comment. Just the truth being twisted to add more fluff to the article. It was co-written by Badel.

Coincidentally, it’s all been downhill for the Broncs, since Audi didn’t renew and we chose “Kia”…

I’d complain too. 🤣🤦‍♂️

But they should realise it fits, a mediocre brand to suit a mediocre team.

Unread

Active Now

• Horseheadsup
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.