Kev and players cop it from former trainer

To further highlight the correlation between Bumper and our defence. Consider the below:

Points against:

2021: 695
2022: 550
2023: 425 (OFarrell)
2024:: 607

Quite a coincidence.

In a somewhat related note. In the clubs history, here are the 5 worst defensive performances:

1. 2021: 695 (Kev)
2. 2020: 624 (Seibold)
3. 2024: 607 (Kev)
4. 2009: 566 (Henjak)
5. 2022: 550 (Kev)

3 out of 4 of Kev’s seasons as head coach have been top 5 worst defensive efforts in broncos history.

O'Farrell was there in 22 and 23 and did the 24 pre-season.

Ben Ikin left midway through the 2023 season, which means he wasn’t involved in recruitment or preseason planning for 2024.

Lee Briers decided to leave at some point during the 2024 season sighting personal reasons. As our attacking coach, could more have happened there?

Brett O’Farrell was our tackling and defence coach that moved on in Feb 2024.

Cartwright committed to a head coaching gig in May 24.

Corvo got moved on.

Chopper Burgess was there until the end of 2022.

In my opinion, our defence, tackling technique and fitness are the biggest issues and seeing that from the end of 2022 season to the end of 2023 season, those in charge of fitness, defence, tackling, and organising a root in brothel (metaphorically) all moved on, that is where my mind goes to when looking for explanations.

After 2021 season was a failure (i.e didn’t make finals) we had the review that saw guys like Kev’s brother forced out and Kev was surrounded by a legit great support cast. Between then and now, all of that supporting cast has been eroded with only Ballen, Scanlon and Dave Ballard still with us next season.

Kev brought Corvo into his Queensland set up too in 16 and 17- they've worked with each other before the Broncos. They have a good relationship.

Green sacked Corvo when he took over.

Corvo was doing the Academy and was happy doing that in 21 and Ikin convinced him to help out his mate Ballad for the rest of the year but he never wanted to come back full time.

O'Farrell was there in 22 and 23 and did the 24 pre-season.
Yeah the positive turn around between 21 and 22 was seemingly out of nowhere (until the collapse) and the negative turn around between 23 and 24 coincides quite well with OFarrell’s input

Yes this O'Farrell chap is very highly regarded amongst Sydney clubs, especially after the work he did a few years ago with Penrith I think it was. I have seen a Youtube video of O'Farrell training with SBW in some wrestling techniques back from 2019 I'm pretty sure. SBW gets absolutely destroyed by O'Farrell in the training ring.

Brisbane really should be doing all they can to get him back. I would love to have him at the Bunnies hah.

Yeah the positive turn around between 21 and 22 was seemingly out of nowhere (until the collapse) and the negative turn around between 23 and 24 coincides quite well with OFarrell’s input

He was part time in 21 too.

Meant to add to previous post, I have heard O'Farrell is joining the Cowboys coaching staff for next season (not 100% confirmed though mind you).

He was part time in 21 too.
It shows lol.

So the turnover of assistance and support staff is a non-issue in your opinion? Nothing to do with Kev?

What do you put the collapse down to then? What’s the view of those closer to the club in regards to what has gone wrong?

It shows lol.

So the turnover of assistance and support staff is a non-issue in your opinion? Nothing to do with Kev?

What do you put the collapse down to then? What’s the view of those closer to the club in regards to what has gone wrong?

Not sure how you arrived at that, just pointing out you can't cherry pick the 'good year.' and ignore the years he was there, and things weren't so good.

Also, if things were so bad with Kev would you go full time and stay for three years?

There are a few other questions here behind- he left. O'Farrell and to a lesser extent Corvo have moved a lot to a whole lot of clubs. They have never stayed anywhere too long.

As much as I like to take the piss out of your coach, I don't think Kev can be blamed for anything much that happended in that grand final loss. Look, I love the bloke to death for what he has done for the Bunnies over the years, but the chief bedwetter in the GF loss was no doubt Reyno. He had to take control in that final 20 mins and he didn't.

Reyno is to blame for those idiotic decisions to take the short drop-outs when all he had to do was kick the living daylights out of that ball downfield. I do wonder if there is some lingering, residual resentment from some of the players towards Reyno over the season dating back to the GF. They looked upon him to lead them to victory, and instead, he massively shat the bed. He had to do much better with his experience in the heat of that GF battle.
You’re not wrong.
Reno was nervous AF before the GF. He looked like he was about to vomit in every shot I saw of him, including when he kissed his family good bye. That was when I began to stress we were gonna lose the GF.

Not sure how you arrived at that, just pointing out you can't cherry pick the 'good year.' and ignore the years he was there, and things weren't so good.

Also, if things were so bad with Kev would you go full time and stay for three years?

There are a few other questions here behind- he left. O'Farrell and to a lesser extent Corvo have moved a lot to a whole lot of clubs. They have never stayed anywhere too long.
Sorry, just to be clear my tone in the previous post was meant to be genuine, not loaded.

I genuinely am wanting to know your opinion. I value your insights

You’re not wrong.
Reno was nervous AF before the GF. He looked like he was about to vomit in every shot I saw of him, including when he kissed his family good bye. That was when I began to stress we were gonna lose the GF.

I`ve always thought he was a choker .
He also missed a goal in a GF as well .

It's like a lot of that Chopper thing- it's well and good to make calls about working fulltime all day and training hard at night and no resources and no staff and we won comps like that but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

When the Broncos first started, they had two full time staff- Canavan and Bennett.

That's not possible now, If you owned Winx would you train her like it's 1970? Or would you have the best vets in the world looking after her?

Go lay concrete all day with your broken hand isn't cutting it in 2024.

I've called for an old school hard pre-season- I think there are things old school that can't be replaced but there are not too many.

Fitness is nearly it now.

Balance.....like everything in life, you need to get the balance right.

The Broncos seem to have quite obviously got it way wrong.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • marw
  • Dexter
  • upthebroncs
  • Bucking Beads
  • BooKhaki
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Totally Unr3al
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.