Kev and players cop it from former trainer

In what world is 50/50 good odds in a Grand Final, on your own line, or in any match where points are on offer? How on earth has this absolute absurdity with short drops and kicks come from.

Absolute worst thing in the game, except maybe the 6 again rule.

So what Kev did last year worked well but this year it’s not been working. I wonder if the whole rockstar vibes and coming off a crap pre-season plus heart breaking grand final loss had anything to do with it.
Last year we had Ikin. I’ve mentioned it before but thought it was just coincidence but this article seems to prove he made more of an impact than originally thought.

In what world is 50/50 good odds in a Grand Final, on your own line, or in any match where points are on offer? How on earth has this absolute absurdity with short drops and kicks come from.

Absolute worst thing in the game, except maybe the 6 again rule.
I think there's a time and place for it, but defending for your life in a grand final with b2b premiers rolling downhill is not the place for it. How we could've done with a typical Bennett shut-it-down defensive performance in that last 20. Or even an experienced head to get in the ears of Walsh and co and just say guys tackle your arses off for 20mins and it's yours.

I think there's a time and place for it, but defending for your life in a grand final with b2b premiers rolling downhill is not the place for it. How we could've done with a typical Bennett shut-it-down defensive performance in that last 20. Or even an experienced head to get in the ears of Walsh and co and just say guys tackle your arses off for 20mins and it's yours.
Yes a Bennett shut it down defence... just like 2015

well at least we might've lead for a few more minutes before eventually losing lol.

I think we were cooked regardless from their ridiculous set completions. But offering them position and possession was just asking for trouble.

As much as I like to take the piss out of your coach, I don't think Kev can be blamed for anything much that happended in that grand final loss. Look, I love the bloke to death for what he has done for the Bunnies over the years, but the chief bedwetter in the GF loss was no doubt Reyno. He had to take control in that final 20 mins and he didn't.

Reyno is to blame for those idiotic decisions to take the short drop-outs when all he had to do was kick the living daylights out of that ball downfield. I do wonder if there is some lingering, residual resentment from some of the players towards Reyno over the season dating back to the GF. They looked upon him to lead them to victory, and instead, he massively shat the bed. He had to do much better with his experience in the heat of that GF battle.
I often wonder about persisting with the short kicks in all our games not just the gf. Like do we all think kevvie says I want only long drop outs but reyno just goes rogue. Like if it's not a team tactic surely Kevin just says ffs no more short drop outs... can't be that hard. Or is it a kev tactic the doesn't work but he wants to persist with, but doesn't bother getting right at training?

I'm still struggling to understand how Kev....part of the Brisbane old boys club,
part of the same generation that old mate the Gym Lord came from
would allow this kind of pandering to the players to happen?

Who came up with such a stupid concept in the first place? Why would a group of old boys see this/hear of the gym plan and not only think its fucken ridiculous......but then implement it and run with it?

and why would such a staunch **** (apparently) the Gym Lord not see this and walk away in disgust on day 1.......instead of hanging around and taking a few $100K's first,
and then sell his story to the grubs in the media?

We've become so lost in our values.......

Damn you to hell....!!

Angry What The Hell GIF by Hello All

Its interesting that Alf is the conduit between coach and captain re on-field tactics.

Alf.....a super star off the cuff, ad-lib...take a gamble type of player.

These ***** aren't as talented as you Allan.......next time tell 'em to keep it simple stupids.

well at least we might've lead for a few more minutes before eventually losing lol.

I think we were cooked regardless from their ridiculous set completions. But offering them position and possession was just asking for trouble.
I don't think it would've changed much to be honest.

If we started kicking long, then you're telling Penrith that forcing a drop out was automatically them getting the ball back and six more tackles. A set going nowhere... 3rd/4th tackle drop it into the ingoal and let's go again.

There's also more six agains now inside your own 30m, so there's every chance the couple tackles they waste having to get back to the 20m... assuming you can kick it 45-50m against that wind... could all be undone by a phantom six again anyway.

Penrith made like 1 error in the game... kicking it long and forcing extra tackles means you're waiting for the opposition to make a mistake... which they just weren't. You then tell them that every dropout is going long, then you're basically just settling in to have no possession for the rest of the game.

For us to win that game we needed to nail every chance we got... which we didn't... Or we needed to get some sort of possession just to give our guys a break... the possession stats in those last 20mins would've been insane.

The real turning point was the Herbie offload to no one inside panthers 10m after we had set up the lead. The ball went to ground, Leota (I think?) picked it up and ran untouched 30m downfield and within that set they scored their first try of the comeback... we pretty much didn't touch the ball after that.

If Herbie had just held the ball then we can try to set up some sustained pressure (it was like 3rd tackle) or maybe we get a final try that kills the game... Instead Herbie went a miracle offload to I think Palasia... when there was literally no other bronco within cooee and the whole panthers goal line defence waiting there.

I often wonder about persisting with the short kicks in all our games not just the gf. Like do we all think kevvie says I want only long drop outs but reyno just goes rogue. Like if it's not a team tactic surely Kevin just says ffs no more short drop outs... can't be that hard. Or is it a kev tactic the doesn't work but he wants to persist with, but doesn't bother getting right at training?
We barely kicked short this year... and that turned out well.

The issue is not having a fucking plan for it... us kicking it long doesn't stop the opposition from kicking it short and us having to defuse it.

We would have to be the worst team on both sides of the short drop out... us being that bad gives the opposition confidence and zero fear about drop outs whenever they play us.

We're just fucking bad on any contested kick and have been forever... Oates dick fingers didn't just appear in 2021 when Kevvie took over... they've always fucking been there.

Get some fucking AFL players in there and sort out how to take contested fucking catches... something storm have been doing for fucking years but yet again we put zero fucking effort into for decades... probably because of some archaic idea like "AFL?? that's the victorian game isn't it... this is rugba leeg... these boys are professional I think they know how to catch a ball".

You know what Bellamy realised with Coates... he can't actually fucking catch it... so what does he get him to do... knock it backwards OR position his body so a dropped catch will go backwards anyway.

Storm players know what Coates is going to do so they're back there waiting for it to spill out and swoop on it... probably like a ruck man to the smaller roving guys in AFL.

Eventually Coates gets confident under the high ball because it's not always disaster if he drops it and now he can actually catch bombs every now and then... and Bellamy also teaches his centres how to setup blocks for his winger so he's not always taking contested catches.

Wasn't there a story before the 2022 season that the players complained about training too hard?

So what Kev did last year worked well but this year it’s not been working. I wonder if the whole rockstar vibes and coming off a crap pre-season plus heart breaking grand final loss had anything to do with it.
Panthers have been carrying on like rockstars for at least 4 seasons but have 3 premierships and a possible 4 in a row

Last year we had Ikin. I’ve mentioned it before but thought it was just coincidence but this article seems to prove he made more of an impact than originally thought.
Pretty sure he left at the start of last year. He was certainly working for the QRL last year but not sure of his start date

We barely kicked short this year... and that turned out well.

The issue is not having a fucking plan for it... us kicking it long doesn't stop the opposition from kicking it short and us having to defuse it.

We would have to be the worst team on both sides of the short drop out... us being that bad gives the opposition confidence and zero fear about drop outs whenever they play us.

We're just fucking bad on any contested kick and have been forever... Oates dick fingers didn't just appear in 2021 when Kevvie took over... they've always fucking been there.

Get some fucking AFL players in there and sort out how to take contested fucking catches... something storm have been doing for fucking years but yet again we put zero fucking effort into for decades... probably because of some archaic idea like "AFL?? that's the victorian game isn't it... this is rugba leeg... these boys are professional I think they know how to catch a ball".

You know what Bellamy realised with Coates... he can't actually fucking catch it... so what does he get him to do... knock it backwards OR position his body so a dropped catch will go backwards anyway.

Storm players know what Coates is going to do so they're back there waiting for it to spill out and swoop on it... probably like a ruck man to the smaller roving guys in AFL.

Eventually Coates gets confident under the high ball because it's not always disaster if he drops it and now he can actually catch bombs every now and then... and Bellamy also teaches his centres how to setup blocks for his winger so he's not always taking contested catches.
A part of the reason we lost the GF 😖

It's heartache caused 100% by the team. They decided to stop playing good footy and do stupid shit. They decided to continue with halfwit plays that the entire league knew they weren't capable of, IE fucking short drop outs.

Brains disappeared in that final, but they all kept their jobs. Including chief idiot, Keb.
Yep and those some players have decided to put in no effort in 2024. Trauma does shitty things to us

I don't think it would've changed much to be honest.

If we started kicking long, then you're telling Penrith that forcing a drop out was automatically them getting the ball back and six more tackles. A set going nowhere... 3rd/4th tackle drop it into the ingoal and let's go again.

There's also more six agains now inside your own 30m, so there's every chance the couple tackles they waste having to get back to the 20m... assuming you can kick it 45-50m against that wind... could all be undone by a phantom six again anyway.

Penrith made like 1 error in the game... kicking it long and forcing extra tackles means you're waiting for the opposition to make a mistake... which they just weren't. You then tell them that every dropout is going long, then you're basically just settling in to have no possession for the rest of the game.

For us to win that game we needed to nail every chance we got... which we didn't... Or we needed to get some sort of possession just to give our guys a break... the possession stats in those last 20mins would've been insane.

The real turning point was the Herbie offload to no one inside panthers 10m after we had set up the lead. The ball went to ground, Leota (I think?) picked it up and ran untouched 30m downfield and within that set they scored their first try of the comeback... we pretty much didn't touch the ball after that.

If Herbie had just held the ball then we can try to set up some sustained pressure (it was like 3rd tackle) or maybe we get a final try that kills the game... Instead Herbie went a miracle offload to I think Palasia... when there was literally no other bronco within cooee and the whole panthers goal line defence waiting there.
Only time Herbie passed the ball last year🤣🤣

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.