OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

Guess we'll have all the Old boys coming out in defense of Kev. Webke is a smart man and he has a clue but clearly the review, from someone outside the club, showed that Kev didn't have control. It had to be damning.

I know he's your mate Webke but Walters could not honestly answer why his team was performing the way it was. He looked lost and he was clueless. You can't have that.
I'm glad the old boys have his back, for his sake, as long as they don't turn on the club like they did in the Seibold years.

Webke:

“When did it become our way to do things like this? We went from being wooden spooners to seconds away from winning the grand final. None of us are happy with the season just gone, and particularly Kevin. But I think the smarter thing to do, and the right thing to do, would have been to let Kevvie coach next year. This year is the wake-up call that we needed. We’ve got a good, strong club again, a wonderful roster full of great players. The wake-up call will lead them to bigger and better things next year, and perhaps getting back to where we know they can be.”​
“It can’t be anything else but spin. The toll on family wouldn’t make Kevvie Walters step away. I promise you. Kevin’s known that the whole time he’s been a coach. It does smell like they’re trying to put nice pretty wallpaper over it and call it something that it’s not. Adam Reynolds was saying the players did not know. If that is true, that is the most unprofessional thing I reckon I’ve ever heard that club come up with.”​
“If I thought this was the right thing, if I thought sacking Kevvie was the right way to go, I’d support it because one thing we all know is none of us are bigger than the club. No players are, no ex-players are, no one is. So the good of the club has got to come first. I just don’t think that this serves the best interests of the club. I don’t think anyone wins out of this, and I think you could have achieved the same result in a very, very different way. Give it a chance and all the rest of it and then none of us would be having these conversations. That’s the right way to do it, that’s the right way to run a footy club. On the surface it looks like a kneejerk decision made by people who don’t understand what our club’s about, and what our game’s about.”​
Now tell us what Webke said about Maguire taking over as coach.

I agree with a lot in here that we cannot go with a rookie coach. Rookie coaches come with the belief that they have to "make a mark" instil their new coaching philosophy on the team.

If the Broncos truly believe we have the squad available for a tilt at a premiership in the next 2-3 years, we need a coach that can just come in and polish us up in an offseason without wholesale changes to get the team they want.

Obviously we need some roster refreshment; but I look at our team overall and the only gaps we really have are in the second row and a few hard nosed props short.

I'm hitching my wagon to the Muggy train.

Walters could not honestly answer why his team was performing the way it was. He looked lost and he was clueless. You can't have that.
That came across quite clearly in most of the defeats, but especially in the humiliating games v Tits & Redcliffe.
You add on top of that the constant clearing of non existent crumbs from the table, highlighting that Billy played well too when asked about Mozers impact from the bench and finally but not least, the insistence that we WILL be playing finals, an admirable stance but foolhardy given what his team were showing on the field. All added up to an unacceptable situation.

If he'd been sacked the night of the Redcliffe shambles, I can't imagine a single person saying it wouldn't have been deserved.

Now they need to make his successor known quickly in my humble opinion so he can get his coaching team together in time for pre season, strengthen the team, and be ready with a style and pattern of play he wants to go with, not just get the ball to the fast bloke and hope for the best

Webcke not liking any of it, including the rumoured replacements.

Just confirms why the old boys should shut the **** up. They're in it for their mates not the broncos. Does he forget the best front rower ever at the club was from nsw or old boys Chris john's and terry materson was as well. Or does it only matter if you're replacing your buddy Kev with a coach from not Queensland even though he's the obvious best option. This is club footy.. not origin..I could give 2 ***** where any one is from..I just want the best available for the broncs to be the best again. So if by a miracle Bellamy wants to come back here is he ruled out because he's not a queenslander. Gtfo and grow up.

I hope Josh Hannay gets it, the Madge praise is craaaaaazy to me. Let’s build a future not a stop gap that might make us a top 4 team. Josh Hannay and Walker brothers as assistant. Than get an experienced defensive assistant
No more fucking rookies... do we not see the pattern of shit from un tested coaches.

I think we all knew this would play out like it has since Kevie was appointed.

-snip

It's just a question of who comes into replace him. I think the most logical choice would be Maguire under the guise that he's the best available and has premiership success. It's not ideal and I think Madge left a lot to be desired at both Souths and Wests but he's had an opportunity to learn and on the surface shapes as an improvement on Kevie.

I think the other options like your Hannays and Thorns are far more risky and feel like sentimental picks. I feel the Broncos would be wise to go with a meritocratic approach.

Very well written summary @Big Pete - takes the emotion out of it.

Kev is a great fella but he's peaked. Maguire really is the only option - speculation about Slater or anyone else is just fever dreams. They are not going to go for someone like Holbrook or another rookie.

When does the Board face consequences for their continued rubbish decisions. Not replacing Ben Ikin with a strong football manager to support the coach and now it seems the coach is taking the fall for the lack of support from the front office and from the players performance.
Hang on - didn't they let Ikin go exactly because he was a strong football manager and Kevvie felt threatened?

Kev's been given everything he wanted - while I don't have much time for Morris & co on the board, trying to hang this on them is a bit much. What was the last rubbish decision they made, just out of interest? Other than not telling Kev to suck it up and be professional enough to work with Ikin?

"Others in the mix for the Red Hill throne include Wayne Bennett’s former Brisbane assistant Jason Demetriou, ex-Eels coach Brad Arthur and Ipswich Jets premiership duo Ben and Shane Walker, who played for the club."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/971b994331b7a4874cc96f2c1e9fcbd5

Ben Walker and Shane Walker won't be given a chance. There style of football is considered too risky for NRL clubs to consider. In some ways it's a shame because the Titans could have chosen the Walker brothers years ago. But experts around the NRL were suggesting the Titans best option was upcoming Penrith Panthers assistant Garth Brennan. Brennan turned out to be a disaster not only his losing record, but also saddling the Titans with some terrible contracts. And these so called experts pretended like they never recommended Brennan.

Just getting on the front foot.

I think McQuire is a **** stick and I plan to be highly critical of his "coaching" performance at Brisbane.

Active Now

• Alec
  • RodF
  • Swordfish
  • Brotherdu
  • Reds2011
  • Financeguy
  • Nightwatchman
  • Waynesaurus
  • mitch222
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Maroon4life
  • Mick_Hancock
  • eggstar10
  • Hoshsie
  • leish107
  • Tmac
  • theshed
  • Santa
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.