Kevin Walters to re-sign

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Sorry @Pushkin

KEVIN Walters is extending his tenure with the Maroons with the Queensland coach to sign a contract upgrade in his blueprint to build another Mal Meninga-style Origin dynasty.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Walters is in talks with the Queensland Rugby League on a two-year extension that will see the Broncos legend remain at the helm of the Maroons until the end of 2020.
Speculation was rife last month that Walters’ position was under threat and that his current deal, which expires next year, could be torn up to make way for Wayne Bennett in 2018.
But QRL bosses were so pleased with the Maroons’ epic fightback to overcome a 1-0 deficit and win this year’s series they have begun negotiations to reward Walters with another term in charge.
Walters is on track to serve Queensland for five consecutive campaigns, a period of continuous service bettered only by Meninga, who steered the Maroons to nine series wins in 10 years.
Walters has had a dream start to his Origin coaching career, winning back-to-back campaigns as Meninga’s successor, and confirmed last night he wants to ink another deal.
“I plan to continue on, certainly,” Walters said.
“I’d like to stay involved as a head coach for a longer term, actually.
“I am contracted for next year but I am looking to extend that deal and I am in talks with the QRL at the moment around doing an extension.
“We’re talking about the term right now but I’d be happy to do a couple more years.
“We’ll see what the QRL are happy with but I’ve got no plans to walk away any time soon.”
Queensland’s record-breaking Origin dynasty appeared on the brink of collapse after Game One this year when Walters was left to digest the pain of a 28-4 hammering at Suncorp Stadium.
But Walters held his nerve and presided over a raft of key changes, including the blooding of eight new faces through a series that marked Queensland’s official changing of the guard.
The likes of Dylan Napa, Cameron Munster, Valentine Holmes, Tim Glasby and Jarrod Wallace represented the fresh blood that helped Walters hit back to deliver an 11th series win in 12 years.
With Johnathan Thurston’s Origin career officially over and key duo Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith weighing up their futures, Walters says it is vital he stays on to mentor Queensland’s younger core.
“I want to provide stability,” he said. “We have some issues over the next couple of years, Johnathan Thurston is moving on and I’m not sure what Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk are doing. We have some battles ahead and I want to see us through that period.
“There were some sleepless nights, that’s for sure — but I’m definitely keen to go on beyond 2018.
“I’ve really enjoyed both series so far, they have been different in many ways and I want to be around for that transition when all the older guys do retire and we have to start with a new group.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...0/news-story/36ee755fbe2272f15de4922827b33940

DYNASTY, NRL-origin related word bingo answer as it pops up everywhere.

Well deserved. Made a massive call last year and that has really been validated with what happened this year. Could have really hurt his tenure early but as much as we have great legends in the current side his tactical coaching really shown through.

I wonder who made the decisions in game 1 to pick O'Neill, Myles and Guerra

I wonder who made the decisions in game 1 to pick O'Neill, Myles and Guerra

Feel sorry for Nate. Everybody knew if you had watched him the last year and a half that he was not even a first grader let alone an origin player. Deserved to go out better than what he dished up in game 1. In hindsight he probably should have given it up last year. The other two were in terrible form.

Good on him. Gives us a real chance to see how he handles generational change in a side and if he does it well, we may just see him wind up as the next Broncos coach given I'd say his origin reign probably will end around the same time Wayne calls it a day.

I'd say (based on pure speculation) that the next Broncos coach will be between Walter, Demetriou and Green. At this point in time, either of Green or Walter I would be more than happy with.

I thought this title was him re-signing with the Broncos, curse you Tom!

Good on Walters though, he absolutely deserves it for making tough calls and having them pay off. It's going to be a rough few years during the transition, so hopefully he can keep QLD playing competitively while Cronk, Smith and JT are replaced permanently.

OTOH... the Broncos need you too Kevvie...

I'd say (based on pure speculation) that the next Broncos coach will be between Walter, Demetriou and Green. At this point in time, either of Green or Walter I would be more than happy with.

I was listening to ABC Grandstand a few weeks ago and they were saying that JD was the front runner to replace Wayne when he retires.

They said that JD is very highly regarded at the club. According to them he is also in no rush to get the top job, happy to stay under Wayne a few years yet to learn all he can

I thought this title was him re-signing with the Broncos, curse you Tom!

Good on Walters though, he absolutely deserves it for making tough calls and having them pay off. It's going to be a rough few years during the transition, so hopefully he can keep QLD playing competitively while Cronk, Smith and JT are replaced permanently.

OTOH... the Broncos need you too Kevvie...

Ha sorry man that's why I put it in the SOO forum. You must be like me and click on the "new posts" link. Can get confusing sometimes.

Ha sorry man that's why I put it in the SOO forum. You must be like me and click on the "new posts" link. Can get confusing sometimes.

Pffft...who looks at forums. Everyone looks at new posts.

You got me too, you c*nt. :pokeytongue:

Yep, new posts all the way!

I must admit, it is some quality clickbait now that I think about it. I could probably get a job for the DT or the CM.

Pffft...who looks at forums. Everyone looks at new posts.

You got me too, you c*nt. :pokeytongue:

What's a c*nt? I know what a **** is but what is c*nt?

Upload 2017 8 3 22 10 9

Good on him. Gives us a real chance to see how he handles generational change in a side and if he does it well, we may just see him wind up as the next Broncos coach given I'd say his origin reign probably will end around the same time Wayne calls it a day.

Who is that?

Walter White maybe?

That could work :biggrin:

Why would Green want to leave the Cowboys? He can build a Bennett type legacy up there given he won the club's first Premiership. I can see him coaching there for 10+ years.

I'd say out next coach will be either Walters or Demetriou.

Why would Green want to leave the Cowboys? He can build a Bennett type legacy up there given he won the club's first Premiership. I can see him coaching there for 10+ years.

I'd say out next coach will be either Walters or Demetriou.

He will give it away when JT is gone for a couple of years when he realises that coaching one of the best players in the world does a hell of a lot of your job for you.

DH0qGwYUIAA9rLy.jpg:large

ETA on the Wayne Bennett to coach QLD in 2018 rumour to re-grow it's legs?

Or Bennett somehow gets Hayne to get Henry the sack after a mysterious cafe meet-up so Kevvie can go there and Wayne can get the Qld gig in a Game of Thrones-style series of machinations to remove his clear influence from a highly suspicious chain of events.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Tim K
  • Battler
  • Aldo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rah88
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.