THE COACH Kevin Walters

I don’t know if Cartwright and Matterson are the epitome of coaching excellence
They're realistically about as good assistant coaches as you could possibly have.

I keep drawing the comparison that Kevvie is our Ricky Stuart. I'm not a Ricky fan by any means, but he bleeds green, same as Kevvie Bleeds Maroon and Gold.

Rickies first season in charge, they finished 15th. In his first 5 years in charge they finished 2nd once, and then missed the finals every other time, finishing 15th and 10th 3 times.

Now he's got a competitive side playing regular finals footy over the past couple of years.

My point is, this shit show will take time to turn around. We aren't the only team in this situation. We've invested in Kevvie and we have to be willing to give him a couple of years minimum to get this shit sorted out.

lol for the record the thread title has been edited. I don’t think we should be sacking Kev yet.

That being said, I can’t believe he trained Milford on the right all off season, watched him have his best game since round 2 last year and then swapped him to the left mid game because Fifita ran over him twice, and never shifted him back. The titans have been destroying the knights right edge all game today, far worse than us - yet Kev thought it was enough to throw out his whole preseason plan. What a stooge. Dearden and that right side defended even worse against the rabbits, so what now?

lol for the record the thread title has been edited. I don’t think we should be sacking Kev yet.

That being said, I can’t believe he trained Milford on the right all off season, watched him have his best game since round 2 last year and then swapped him to the left mid game because Fifita ran over him twice, and never shifted him back. The titans have been destroying the knights right edge all game today, far worse than us - yet Kev thought it was enough to throw out his whole preseason plan. What a stooge. Dearden and that right side defended even worse against the rabbits, so what now?
Exactly, he’s showing he doesn’t trust his own process, which is a big concern. Milford hasn’t even tackled that poorly, Fifita vs anyone one on one is game over, the good sides double up on him and don’t give him time and space.

I’m disappointed with what I’m seeing atm.

Its a lose/lose situation for KW realistically though.
If he changed nothing, and Milf kept getting stomped all game, Kev would catch shit from all and sundry for doing nothing.
He cops shit for changing it up and not sticking to his pre-season plan.

Poor bloke lol, i do not envy him one bit.

Exactly, he’s showing he doesn’t trust his own process, which is a big concern. Milford hasn’t even tackled that poorly, Fifita vs anyone one on one is game over, the good sides double up on him and don’t give him time and space.

I’m disappointed with what I’m seeing atm.
It wasn’t that milf got ran over by Fifita that people were pissed about, he didn’t even try to tackle him

Its a lose/lose situation for KW realistically though.
If he changed nothing, and Milf kept getting stomped all game, Kev would catch shit from all and sundry for doing nothing.
He cops shit for changing it up and not sticking to his pre-season plan.

Poor bloke lol, i do not envy him one bit.
The issue is that we had dogs at home the week after titans... so he basically had a free pass to play the same 17 for the two weeks following the dogs game, because we were always going to win it.

instead he throws Dearden on the bench for the dogs game and then throws him into the starting side for the storm who always thrash us.

could’ve quite easily played milf and Croft for dogs and storm, and waited for the souths or upcoming panthers game to make any legit changes, such as bringing Dearden in or wanting to flip Milf to the other side.

he buckled to pressure and now he’s under more pressure regarding his halves situation because of decisions he’s been making.

The issue is that we had dogs at home the week after titans... so he basically had a free pass to play the same 17 for the two weeks following the dogs game, because we were always going to win it.

instead he throws Dearden on the bench for the dogs game and then throws him into the starting side for the storm who always thrash us.

could’ve quite easily played milf and Croft for dogs and storm, and waited for the souths or upcoming panthers game to make any legit changes, such as bringing Dearden in or wanting to flip Milf to the other side.

he buckled to pressure and now he’s under more pressure regarding his halves situation because of decisions he’s been making.
I agree, however we have hindsight on our side.
His changes may have made all the difference in the world and prevented 50+ floggings instead of 40+ floggings, we will never know.

According to Kevvie in the presser, Teo had a bit of a knock but all good, he'll be right to go next week.

Two days later on NRL.com, Ben Teo out for 12 weeks.

So...our medicos at it again?

His changes may have made all the difference in the world and prevented 50+ floggings instead of 40+ floggings, we will never know.

I still think the difference between losing by 40 and 50 is less damaging than the constant chopping and changing. To me that attitude is someone who is scared to lose in the short term to improve things long term.

40 or 50 is still a flogging... I think in this comp with this squad you just have to take your licks, shut out the outside noise, stick with your plans and make sure the squad know what’s happening.

at the moment it’s very reactive... we want Dearden to develop, but let’s throw him into a game vs the comp heavyweight away from home.

I would’ve waited until the upcoming panthers game to play Dearden... we have no easy games this year it seems, so at least let the kid come into the team at home as we near the end of a death run of games.

panther home
Parra away
Tits home
Cows away

that run looks infinitely better than storm away, souths away, panthers home, parra away

40 or 50 is still a flogging... I think in this comp with this squad you just have to take your licks, shut out the outside noise, stick with your plans and make sure the squad know what’s happening.

at the moment it’s very reactive... we want Dearden to develop, but let’s throw him into a game vs the comp heavyweight away from home.

I would’ve waited until the upcoming panthers game to play Dearden... we have no easy games this year it seems, so at least let the kid come into the team at home as we near the end of a death run of games.

panther home
Parra away
Tits home
Cows away

that run looks infinitely better than storm away, souths away, panthers home, parra away
Never thought of it like that. Great post. Highlights everything wrong with us at the moment.

panther home
Parra away
Tits home
Cows away

Completely agree with your post though personally I would’ve given Dearden even longer in Q cup but what I want is irrelevant. I would’ve backed Kev no matter which decision he went with as long as it was a solid plan and not the current aimless reactionary shuffling.

Completely agree with your post though personally I would’ve given Dearden even longer in Q cup but what I want is irrelevant. I would’ve backed Kev no matter which decision he went with as long as it was a solid plan and not the current aimless reactionary shuffling.
Yeah in a perfect world he stays in ISC until the tits at home or cows away or maybe longer, but there would be some serious floggings along the way.

I was a bit annoyed that QLD ISC started a week later than NSW ISC. I’m sure there was a reason, and it took me a second to wonder why there was a comp wide bye last week after 1 round, until I realised that most of the guys in the comp are part timers and have families, so they should get the Easter long weekend off... but in the end it means Dearden has only had the opportunity to play 1-2 ISC games in the first 5 weeks of the NRL comp.

yet again COVID and outside influences are impacting on our squad development and compounding issues already in the retention and recruitment.

we have literally picked the worst point in our history to have a serious down period.... and for it to also coincide with V’Lando murdering the game and being hellbent on a 2nd Brisbane team despite it adding no value to the game.

it’s a perfect storm of shit flung at broncos fans right now

I was realistic at the beginning of this season. I was not expecting to make the finals or win more than we lost.

I just wanted to see us not give up and stay in games, increase our defence line speed, not be the last ones off the ground in every tackle/ruck and show some intent in attack.

That is not asking much. It does not require talent, skills or coaching, it is all attitude. Although our team are saying the "right things" they are not walking the talk.

I constantly harp on about line speed but it is no fluke that the teams with the best line speed: melb, souths, penrith, roosters top the comp and those without: broncos, bulldogs, manly are on the bottom
To be fair we are good in small patches. We do have a team of committed guys but I just don't think we've balanced the team as well as we can. We should be looking at playing to what strength we have, namely the forwards.

We can start with a simple forward based strategy. I'd have Lodge Turpin Flegler start with TPJ and Wiki and Carrigan at lock. After twenty I'd relieve Lodge and Flegler with Haas and Kennedy. We'd have a choice of Glenn, Te'o, Bullemor, Asiata, Palasia to rotate the second row.

I'd even give some thought to starting with maximum thrust and have Haas partner TPJ in the second row and use the four gorillas as battering rams. One of those four would get a quick ptb in for sure. I think we lose punch when Haas isn't relieved up front.

In reality, any combination of those four will work as long as Haas doesn't stay out there. We need to use up the go forward of a basic prop like Kennedy and the slightly overpaid Flegler. Instead of late cameos or lightweight benches we should be using our big guys better.

According to Kevvie in the presser, Teo had a bit of a knock but all good, he'll be right to go next week.

Two days later on NRL.com, Ben Teo out for 12 weeks.

So...our medicos at it again?

It's not an uncommon thing though...

Our medicos don't have x-ray vision.... and I highly doubt we have MRI's etc in the dressing room to diagnose these injuries ... we have to wait until the player gets to the we proper equipment to correctly diagnose the injury

Signing Ben Walker as coach with his son Sam Walker as a package in 2 years time seems like a good option right about now. Sam is a franchise player you can build the team around.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  • bert_lifts
  • Sproj
  • Rookie Alan
  • TimWhatley
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Alec
  • Mr Fourex
  • Behold
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Financeguy
  • Inknition
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.