THE COACH Kevin Walters

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Donuts:

"Everyone at the Broncos is disappointed with how the last couple of weeks have played out, especially at home. We will have a cold hard look at the good, bad and the ugly from the season as a collective and work through the best ways to ensure the program keeps growing."​
“We aren’t going to shy away from the disappointment we have felt the last few weeks. We have some well credentialled, highly capable leaders in the program and we’d like to see them take the program to the next level. We’ve been happy with the club’s progress over the past 18 months, but we’re not where we want to be consistently just yet. We will identify areas to improve and the steps we have to take to do so."​
“We will undertake the same review process we did last year. When you look back on it, we had seven wins last year and undertook a process which was internal to find areas we wanted to improve and focus on. I feel like largely we have made improvements and we will look into things and implement a program for the pre-season and into next season. It’s never one thing, there’s always a number of factors. But it’s important to have cool heads and make sure you are documenting everything to ensure you are learning from it.​

Pat Carrigan:

“We tried to take easy options. At this time of year the teams that are going well are tightening the screws and making it a grind and we didn’t do that. We had our fate in our own hands and let it slip. The review will start over the next few days, but this is a tough one to accept at the moment.”​

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Reminds me of that 40000 times you said you were an expert on French League and KW was rubbish and you would never support him.

Now pretend you didn't say it and bag other people.
chaz-will-ferrell.gif

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Reminds me of that 40000 times you said you were an expert on French League and KW was rubbish and you would never support him.

Now pretend you didn't say it and bag other people.

I never said I was an expert on French league.

I did say I didn't think KW was the right coach (although a better option than Green). I also said I'd back him if he got the gig.

unlike many people on here, my opinion will change based on what's currently happening rather stubbornly sticking to it regardless of the reality of the situation.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I never said I was an expert on French league.

I did say I didn't think KW was the right coach (although a better option than Green). I also said I'd back him if he got the gig.

unlike many people on here, my opinion will change based on what's currently happening rather stubbornly sticking to it regardless of the reality of the situation.

But put shit on people that think the same as you and pretend you're wiser than everyone else now.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
In fairness to Foordy, I don't think he necessarily supports individuals, but rather stability in an organisation. Too often we want to sack the coach and change everything but we've seen what happens when clubs do it frivolously.

On the other hand, I don't think he has to defend his position at every turn. Sometimes you have to let fans vent and let time take care of it - one way or another the truth will come out.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
He's really not getting paid peanuts though. He's reportedly on 400k a year, or about 7.5k a week, many would love that sort of income. He's highly paid, and should rightly be expected to produce top notch results.

I'm not necessarily sold on sacking Walters, I think that creates its own turmoil but I think both his assistants need to be sacked at a minimum, and the replacements shouldn't be picked by him. Ikin/DD need to pick his assistants, and if he refuses, pay out his contract and sack him too.
Nailed it! He must be surrounded with assistants with smart footy brains who won’t shy away in making their thoughts heard loud and clear. Those assistants must be cherry picked by DD & Ikin. Period!

T0mat0

T0mat0

Sep 5, 2022
It’s quite clear what the problem is. Hard thing is to take action to change it. If Ikin and DD don’t have the ability they need to move on ASAP.

The problem clearly lies with Kevvie. He may have the passion for the badge, but unfortunately lacks the communication, confidence and intellect to make the decisions required to fix this mess. It’s not easy. He inherited a side with some challenging personalities which needed the right pressure applied. Then with the ones who didn’t respond he needed to have candidates ready who he could move in. It was a good 2 year process of roster and player management. But it seems Kevvie isnt the person for this. It’s not in is coaching makeup. He maybe a great technical coach but that’s only half the job. He severely lacks in the player management department.

I’m guessing this was something Wayne recognised which led him to move Kevvie on to greener pastures. Kevvie might have felt jaded by the move but that’s his ego he’s protecting. He didn’t heed the lessons and make the changes to his coaching abilities. Trying to develop them on the fly in a pressure cooker environment was never going to end well.

Therefore Kevvie needs to go. I’d guess it will be unlikely he’ll ever have what it takes to be a first grade coach. He needs to accept his standing and try to swing jobs in other establishments to make a living. But a long term, generational coach he will never be. But that’s ok. Hope he finds the right role for his strengths.

C

cento

QCup Player
Apr 3, 2014
I think if kevi survives which I don’t think he should as we had the players to make the 8

Is needs new assistant coaches
And billy must not be resigned by the club as it just cause more trouble yea he is probably the second best hooker the club has but I think the move ikin needs to do if they keep kevi

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think if kevi survives which I don’t think he should as we had the players to make the 8

Is needs new assistant coaches
And billy must not be resigned by the club as it just cause more trouble yea he is probably the second best hooker the club has but I think the move ikin needs to do if they keep kevi

I do think that this is an option that the club decision makers need to think about. Billy is a good young player and this year, deserved his spot in the 17. However, if there are splits in the playing group, it might just be that for all involved, it is better not to have either the coach or his son there. If Kevvie still refuses to play Paix, then at least that is one less reason for us to scratch our heads. I am not saying this is what should happen, I am just saying it will likely be discussed given Billy at present does not have a contract.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If Kevvie still refuses to play Paix,

Paix played 12 games this year (missing around 6 due to injury/concussion) ... there would be quite a few players in the squad that wish Kevvie refused to play them so they could get some more games under their belt.

Paix is right on track to be the next Turpin ... by that I mean, over rated because he isn't [enter name of previous hooker here]; eventually most people end up that they weren't too much better than their predecessor and start hating on them

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I do think that this is an option that the club decision makers need to think about. Billy is a good young player and this year, deserved his spot in the 17. However, if there are splits in the playing group, it might just be that for all involved, it is better not to have either the coach or his son there. If Kevvie still refuses to play Paix, then at least that is one less reason for us to scratch our heads. I am not saying this is what should happen, I am just saying it will likely be discussed given Billy at present does not have a contract.
Are there splits in the playing group.....?

We've heard two players had a sook because KW yelled at them........ and Gamble reckons ARey is the attacking coach, not KW. (does Tyson's opinion mean anything other than **** all to everyone else?)

anything else to base this "split" on?

....and you're suggesting that if indeed there is a split, its somehow because of the father & son Walters team?

because Paix didn't get selected enough times to play......because Paix is playing so well in the lower grades, that he's demanding selection and KW is ignoring that..... over the bias towards his son?

If that's what the "lets sack Kev" theme is based on then.....I'm a hard no.

I think KW as others also suggest, needs to take a hard look at his entire coaching staff. Somehwere in there, is the answer to why we capitulated so badly in the last rounds of the season......someone/s in that group have dropped the ball badly. They would/should be rubbing shoulders with the players on a 100% fulltime basis....one of them should have picked up on something not being right. Even ARey should be questioned as to why as the team's captain.....he couldn't smell that something was wrong.....
You don't just fall apart like that when your season is on the line for no reason.....

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
In fairness to Foordy, I don't think he necessarily supports individuals, but rather stability in an organisation. Too often we want to sack the coach and change everything but we've seen what happens when clubs do it frivolously.

On the other hand, I don't think he has to defend his position at every turn. Sometimes you have to let fans vent and let time take care of it - one way or another the truth will come out.
Odd, you never come out and say ' I don't think Huge has to defend his position at every turn' yet we all know I certainly attract massive bites at 'every turn'.

Mmm, perhaps you think I can fend for myself but poor old foordy...

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Paix played 12 games this year (missing around 6 due to injury/concussion) ... there would be quite a few players in the squad that wish Kevvie refused to play them so they could get some more games under their belt.

Paix is right on track to be the next Turpin ... by that I mean, over rated because he isn't [enter name of previous hooker here]; eventually most people end up that they weren't too much better than their predecessor and start hating on them
No one is overrating Paix. He’s average but he’s easily better than Turpin and most of Walters performances. It’s like how Martin is better than Niu but is still a bad long term fullback

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.