THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Last year's gf run was an anomaly. Normal service has resumed
Yep. We were playing with so much confidence. We did win a lot of games with kicks and a good bounce. We rode our luck and almost pulled of a heist in the GF.
Kev had everyone believing which is great, it's his talent, but you have to have some belief in your systems as well.
We can all see it, we have no system.
No way if controlling a game with our D and no way of creating defensive errors with an attacking structure.
Basically no clue

I’ve been trying to give Kev his credit for a while now but I just don’t know how to justify missing the finals with the team we have. One thing if we lost a bunch of gutsy 1 or 2 point losses but we have looked awful. The injury excuse is gone now too.

A bunch of talented players with no idea what to do. Athletic enough to do something spectacular when a risky play bounces their way but zero structure or systems.

Plenty will say “who is available better than Kev?” and I don’t have an answer for that. Hope the club does though

As much as every Broncos fan loves Kevvie as a bloke, i dont see how anyone can now not think we dont have to start asking some serious questions. As much as i dont like to believe it, last season is looking it was just us riding the crest of a wave where nearly everything went right.

Not making the 8 this year is a failure.

I’ve been trying to give Kev his credit for a while now but I just don’t know how to justify missing the finals with the team we have. One thing if we lost a bunch of gutsy 1 or 2 point losses but we have looked awful. The injury excuse is gone now too.

A bunch of talented players with no idea what to do. Athletic enough to do something spectacular when a risky play bounces their way but zero structure or systems.

Plenty will say “who is available better than Kev?” and I don’t have an answer for that. Hope the club does though

I've been saying it a lot this year, but the performance levels are a way bigger concern than the results.

There’s always been doubts hanging over his coaching ability, whether from former origin players, or even current broncos players, let’s not pretend that it’s just ‘one of those seasons’. 2022 was a capitulation after sitting in the top 4 & then missing the 8. The GF was a capitulation after leading comfortably with 15mins to go. We started the year as grand finalists and will now finish bottom 8. We have gone as far as we can on individual talent.

Unless we make the top 8, I can't see Kevie and son kept for next year. Unless we make some changes, I can't see it be any better next year.

I can't see him losing his job after this season no matter how it ends up. Halfway through next year, maybe. But only if we're in the bottom four and there's some accompanying drama.

As much as every Broncos fan loves Kevvie as a bloke, i dont see how anyone can now not think we dont have to start asking some serious questions. As much as i dont like to believe it, last season is looking it was just us riding the crest of a wave where nearly everything went right.

Yeah, it’s a very talented team that got lucky with injury and the bounce of the ball. Probably caught a the comp off guard with the fast attack from anywhere style but that has seemingly been figured out.

It’s like the Ben Barba type player break out years, they rattle the comp as no one prepared for them but after a season of brilliance the smart coaches figure them out and then they don’t have the fundamentals to fall back on.

To lose the way we have consistently this season and then to dish this out when our stars are back and season is on the line. Some miracle withstanding, it is beyond a failure - it’s a disaster

Yeah, it’s a very talented team that got lucky with injury and the bounce of the ball. Probably caught a the comp off guard with the fast attack from anywhere style but that has seemingly been figured out.

It’s like the Ben Barba type player break out years, they rattle the comp as no one prepared for them but after a season of brilliance the smart coaches figure them out and then they don’t have the fundamentals to fall back on.

To lose the way we have consistently this season and then to dish this out when our stars are back and season is on the line. Some miracle withstanding, it is beyond a failure - it’s a disaster
There was some collective delusion we only needed two more points in us to win the premiership this season. That bubble should've burst in Vegas, but it seems to have taken this long.

I can't see him losing his job after this season no matter how it ends up. Halfway through next year, maybe. But only if we're in the bottom four and there's some accompanying drama.
I guess it also depends on who’s available and interested, in addition to how the last games play out. A strong finish will probably save him but if the fall continues, especially now that the whole squad is back, then it may just be enough to take action on.

Big decisions for Dave coming up

What you say is true. The writing is on the wall for Kevvie. Problem is any coach we bring in is just another risk.

I guess it also depends on who’s available and interested, in addition to how the last games play out. A strong finish will probably save him but if the fall continues, especially now that the whole squad is back, then it may just be enough to take action on.

Big decisions for Dave coming up
I think we'll see a bunch of drama in the press well before Kevvie's job is under threat. That's usually how it works. We had that at the beginning of last season with Cobbo and Gamble undermining him on social media but he managed to shrug it off. I think the club probably made the wrong decision - in retrospect - not to sack Cobbo at the time, even though none of us wanted it. I'm wondering if the players don't take him seriously.

Does he know they’ve won seven straight?

In an insight into why the Storm have been as successful as they have been over the past 25 years, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy was captured on camera launching a series of ferocious bakes during the club’s 32-14 win over the Eels on Friday night.

First, Bellamy was cap by Fox League cameras giving his side a spray dressing rooms at half time after a lacklustre display against an injury-ravaged Eels side.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20242105
Then, with his side up 20-8 over the Eels with 25 minutes remaining, a wayward Storm pass was followed by vision of Bellamy erupting in the coaches box.

“Craig Bellamy is blowing up deluxe,” Fox League’s Warren Smith said.

The pass was then knocked on by the Eels, which forced a Storm scrum.

Bellamy would have almost hit boiling point with what happened next. Off the scrum, with the Storm 20m out from the Eels line, halfback Jahrome Hughes threw a wayward pass that missed his teammate and rolled into touch.

“Well if the coach wasn’t too happy a moment ago, he might need that bright yellow Freddie Mercury straitjacket,” Smith said.

They won the game 34-12 and seven straight and there he is, still blowing up deluxe. That's the difference between a coach that demands the best and one that would rather be best buddies with the players.

I think we'll see a bunch of drama in the press well before Kevvie's job is under threat. That's usually how it works. We had that at the beginning of last season with Cobbo and Gamble undermining him on social media but he managed to shrug it off. I think the club probably made the wrong decision - in retrospect - not to sack Cobbo at the time, even though none of us wanted it. I'm wondering if the players don't take him seriously.
Kev is in the same boat as Sticky. The media are very gentle in regards to bagging him. Any other coach would be getting, fairly or unfairly, belted in this position.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Redfern_1980
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • FACTHUNT
  • pagey
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Old Mate
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.