THE COACH Kevin Walters

I am really, really hoping that Donuts takes it out of Kevvie's hands and based on Ikin's hopefully decent spreadsheets, headhunt guys like Wolff / Ciraldo, guys we want to groom as assistants before taking over from Kevvie if need be (which it looks like need will be) and even veto Kevvie if need also be. Now I know this is not a great system at all but who cares, the current system is a joke.

I am really, really hoping that Donuts takes it out of Kevvie's hands and based on Ikin's hopefully decent spreadsheets, headhunt guys like Wolff / Ciraldo, guys we want to groom as assistants before taking over from Kevvie if need be (which it looks like need will be) and even veto Kevvie if need also be. Now I know this is not a great system at all but who cares, the current system is a joke.
Someone like Ciraldo would only come if he has a guaranteed path to head coach, or we double or triple his pay. Either one works for me.

The only problem with that is I don't think either of those guys will move from where they are for an assistant's role.

Why would Ciraldo move from Penrith where he is building his reputation to go to the same role with us? Short answer, he wouldn't.

It would make the situation entirely untenable (and it would leak) if the Club said to either of them we are going to replace KW and you will be the coach down the track. Can you imagine how that would play out in the press and with the Old Boys.

If they are going to do anything it has to be done all up front and with KW knowing what is happening.

Someone like Ciraldo would only come if he has a guaranteed path to head coach, or we double or triple his pay. Either one works for me.

You know what, I reckon we have sort of been touching on it but I've just realised, there is a disconnect also between management and coaching. Let me explain very briefly. Donuts comes from a system where they plan everything down to the 'nth' degree, even on their second set of books. Ikin is a self-professed stats / data nerd. This is the modern way of sport.

Kevvie is an old school type of coach who seems to believe man management is the key and everything falls into place. This is fine if you have other members on staff who are stats nerds / moneyball fans. Neither Matterson or Cartwright strike me as being this type of coach whereas all of the good teams do, whether it be their head coach or the assistants. Most other clubs also have someone / someones on their coaching staff full time who are closer to the ages of the players / recently retired.

I think we might be on to a key issue here you know and once again, guess where the finger is clearly pointing. The coaching staff is out of touch with modern players and the modern game, no wonder everything feels so disjointed.

The only problem with that is I don't think either of those guys will move from where they are for an assistant's role.

Why would Ciraldo move from Penrith where he is building his reputation to go to the same role with us? Short answer, he wouldn't.

It would make the situation entirely untenable (and it would leak) if the Club said to either of them we are going to replace KW and you will be the coach down the track. Can you imagine how that would play out in the press and with the Old Boys.

If they are going to do anything it has to be done all up front and with KW knowing what is happening.

I don't disagree but once again, the Roosters managed to do it, they manage to get Ryles out of a role where he was heir apparent to come into another role where he is doing exactly the same job.

It's not going to happen, but ideally we lock someone up before the Tigers sack Madge and get their pick. Even if we sign them now for next season with a chance of starting early if Kev shits the bed even more. Kevvy doesn't even need to know, we can break it to him in the offseason.

You know what, I reckon we have sort of been touching on it but I've just realised, there is a disconnect also between management and coaching. Let me explain very briefly. Donuts comes from a system where they plan everything down to the 'nth' degree, even on their second set of books. Ikin is a self-professed stats / data nerd. This is the modern way of sport.

Kevvie is an old school type of coach who seems to believe man management is the key and everything falls into place. This is fine if you have other members on staff who are stats nerds / moneyball fans. Neither Matterson or Cartwright strike me as being this type of coach whereas all of the good teams do, whether it be their head coach or the assistants. Most other clubs also have someone / someones on their coaching staff full time who are closer to the ages of the players / recently retired.

I think we might be on to a key issue here you know and once again, guess where the finger is clearly pointing. The coaching staff is out of touch with modern players and the modern game, no wonder everything feels so disjointed.

Agree. We need more coaching nerds.

needs to **** off .. not a coaches asshole nothing has changed & he gets an extension…
May aswell stuck with Seibold if we wanted to be consistently shit.

Who are some of the assistant coaches out there that we could look at getting? Off the top of my head, Cameron Ciraldo, Josh Hannay, John Morris, Jason Ryles, Steve Price, Aaron Bellamy, Ben Hornby. I'm probably missing some other highly rated assistants, but surely even one of them would help Kevvie a lot more than Cartwright and Matterson ever will.

No point sacking KW if the replacement is Green. Only other options are Flanno and Madge but not sure these options would work either. At the time of appointing Pies, Todd Payton was available and so was WB and JD.
Looks like we're stuck with KW who is proving to be a spud.

Flanagan or ciraldo for me
I am ok with Shane Flanagan as coach. I know he has a bit of a questionable past and people are probably fair in not wanting him near the club, but if he has learnt his lesson and has served his time, I'd rather we land someone like him to turn around the club from what it is currently. He is a proven coach who has tasted success against the other top coaches in the game.

But a slightly off topic question. What's people's opinion on Kyle Flanagan. I don't necessarily think the treatment he has received from the Roosters and from the Dogs has been warranted. I think he played pretty well at the Roosters but he got shafted so that they could bring in Walker.

The reason I ask, is if we bring on Shane Flanagan as coach, would it be worth bringing in Kyle Flanagan to partner Reynolds with the plan of eventually taking over from Reynolds as the chief playmaker. He has a good passing game, a good kicking game, he is cool under pressure, he organises pretty well, and he goal kicks too.

I think the way the club has recruited and planned for the future, we could struggle again once Reynolds retires.

I am ok with Shane Flanagan as coach. I know he has a bit of a questionable past and people are probably fair in not wanting him near the club, but if he has learnt his lesson and has served his time, I'd rather we land someone like him to turn around the club from what it is currently. He is a proven coach who has tasted success against the other top coaches in the game.

But a slightly off topic question. What's people's opinion on Kyle Flanagan. I don't necessarily think the treatment he has received from the Roosters and from the Dogs has been warranted. I think he played pretty well at the Roosters but he got shafted so that they could bring in Walker.

The reason I ask, is if we bring on Shane Flanagan as coach, would it be worth bringing in Kyle Flanagan to partner Reynolds with the plan of eventually taking over from Reynolds as the chief playmaker. He has a good passing game, a good kicking game, he is cool under pressure, he organises pretty well, and he goal kicks too.

I think the way the club has recruited and planned for the future, we could struggle again once Reynolds retires.
Haven't really paid much attention to Flanagan's game but at the time I thought the roosters treatment of him was unfair.
But If we were going to go down the father-son route.. Ben and Shane Walker would dangle a carrot to get Sam Walker.

Haven't really paid much attention to Flanagan's game but at the time I thought the roosters treatment of him was unfair.
But If we were going to go down the father-son route.. Ben and Shane Walker would dangle a carrot to get Sam Walker.
I get the feeling that Sam Walker is too far gone to ever be a legitimate recruitment option. I don't think he will ever even entertain the idea of becoming a Bronco.

Struggling like getting flogged 40-12 and half the fans think that is ‘not too bad’?

Bleak…

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.