THE COACH Kevin Walters

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
How many do we need to win now to make the finals?

We’re in 11th place after this round. 8 games to go, with a fairly soft run home. Going to be a disaster if we miss it
we are 2 points off the 8 right now due to very close comp, and teams like cowboys, dogs and warriors play each other twice still, so I don't think we are that far back given comp closeness tbh.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not thinking sack him, but if we keep imploding and we miss the finals, i reckon it could be time to be ruthless. We need to show we are competent enough and have enough structure in our system to build on. Not going to lie, but right now i'm concerned.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
we are 2 points off the 8 right now due to very close comp, and teams like cowboys, dogs and warriors play each other twice still, so I don't think we are that far back given comp closeness tbh.
Especially with the Sharks falling off a bit. Top 4 still possible.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
He’s not getting sacked after making the gf last year, however imagine this side under Hasler, Flanno, or Ciraldo.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I'm not thinking sack him, but if we keep imploding and we miss the finals, i reckon it could be time to be ruthless. We need to show we are competent enough and have enough structure in our system to build on. Not going to lie, but right now i'm concerned.
outside us just losing everything even with our stars back I wouldn't even be looking at that because the big question raised is with who?

but it's hard to deny our injury luck this year has been horrific so I doubt even with last year form we are near top 2 like we were, but it's also combined with bad recruitment decisions which has amplified it, and Kevvie had to be involved in some of that.

But to sack him this year is only a luxury afforded to a team who has a good option to choose as replacement and to me it's still insane to raise it for this year.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
He’s not getting sacked after making the gf last year, however imagine this side under Hasler, Flanno, or Ciraldo.

Ciraldo hadn't shown shit yet ... Kevvie has made the GF, Ciraldo hadn't even made finals.

Hasler might have early success, but we'd have to spend the next decade fixing what he did to our side.

Flannos juicing program could definitely help, assuming he doesn't get caught this time

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Especially with the Sharks falling off a bit. Top 4 still possible.

View attachment 28580
imo top 6 is equal to top 4 assuming the week 1 loss(in top 4), so that would be the fairer aim, we have a top 2 team if we can keep our best players fit though Reynolds is key to anything we can make for this year though.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
outside us just losing everything even with our stars back I wouldn't even be looking at that because the big question raised is with who?

but it's hard to deny our injury luck this year has been horrific so I doubt even with last year form we are near top 2 like we were, but it's also combined with bad recruitment decisions which has amplified it, and Kevvie had to be involved in some of that.

Even with our injuries, we should be making the 8. No question at all about that imo. If we dont i think even Kevvie himself would be surprised if conversations arent had because he would also see that as a failure.

Somebody would have to be given a chance if we do pull the plug. Every coach appointment is a risk. Do you go for somebody doing well in Superleague for example like Willie Peters, Sam Burgess, Matt Peet or Richie Wellens.

Do you try to get Billy Slater, or look at say Josh Hannay?

Not many experienced NRL coaches right now out of work though tbf who i would take over Kevvie.

Whoever it would be, there are going to be people not in favour of who we get.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Even with our injuries, we should be making the 8. No question at all about that imo. If we dont i think even Kevvie himself would be surprised if conversations arent had because he would also see that as a failure.

Somebody would have to be given a chance if we do pull the plug. Every coach appointment is a risk. Do you go for somebody doing well in Superleague for example like Willie Peters, Sam Burgess, Matt Peet or Richie Wellens.

Do you try to get Billy Slater, or look at say Josh Hannay?

Not many experienced NRL coaches right now out of work though tbf who i would take over Kevvie.

Whoever it would be, there are going to be people not in favour of who we get.
I honestly wouldn't look for another coach until this time being raised next year, too EPL like for NRL imo we simply lack the coaches out there to be as ruthless as them.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I honestly wouldn't look for another coach until this time being raised next year, too EPL like for NRL imo we simply lack the coaches out there to be as ruthless as them.

Thats the thing though, the coaches are there. I thought of 6 who would be viable candidates. Probably more i've missed.

For me, its about how we finish the year out. Show some fight, some some better form and make the 8 then looking at replacing him is off the table and i reckon what you are suggesting about seeing how we go next year is fair. If we collapse, i think he is gone.

The other scenario is Kevvie himself pulls the plug. He's an emotional guy, but he's honest about things as well. He wants whats best for the Broncos and if we dont make the 8, he might decide he's gone as far as he can because he's said in the past failure in his eyes.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This is fairly off topic but in hindsight Farnworth seems to be the best backline player we’ve produced over the last few years and probably the one we should’ve kept over Staggs and Cobbo

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Wouldn’t even be considering a change unless we’ve got Craig Bellamy coming our way.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
This is fairly off topic but in hindsight Farnworth seems to be the best backline player we’ve produced over the last few years and probably the one we should’ve kept over Staggs and Cobbo
If memory serves me correct Farnsworth signed a one year deal to see how we were going. Then when we were top of the table after 7 rounds decided to sign with Dolphins…🤷‍♂️

Why sign a one year deal to see if the club is going in the right direction, just to jump ship when they are finally going well? Just after the $$$ if you ask me.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Thats the thing though, the coaches are there. I thought of 6 who would be viable candidates. Probably more i've missed.

For me, its about how we finish the year out. Show some fight, some some better form and make the 8 then looking at replacing him is off the table and i reckon what you are suggesting about seeing how we go next year is fair. If we collapse, i think he is gone.

The other scenario is Kevvie himself pulls the plug. He's an emotional guy, but he's honest about things as well. He wants whats best for the Broncos and if we dont make the 8, he might decide he's gone as far as he can because he's said in the past failure in his eyes.
The coaches being there is fully opinion, we don't have a track record on how they handle a first grade team which is a huge step up on anything the rookies have in experience, there is significantly more moving parts being a first grade coach especially the Broncos the most media focused team in the competition a very high pressure role.

Billy would be an attractive option but he has made it clear many times he doesn't want to commit to a fulltime role as he would have no time for his young family so I don't think he is looking at coaching atleast till they are older.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brocko
  • Dexter
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Sanjit Joseph
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.