THE COACH Kevin Walters

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The coaches being there is fully opinion, we don;t have a track record on how they handle a first grade team which is a huge step up on anything the rookies have to offer.

Billy would be an attractive option but he has made it clear many times he doesn't want to commit to a fulltime role as he would have no time for his young family so I don't think he is looking at coaching atleast till they are older.

Peters, Burgess, Peet, Wellens all have track records now to some degree coaching first grade. Peet and Wellens it has to be said at clubs with just as big expectations, pressure, and bigger histories than Brisbane. Burgess and Peters very much in the infancy of their careers, but both are doing good jobs and have the added bonus of knowing what the NRL is all about first hand.

Hannay has a solid background coaching and appears to be highly thought of, and its pretty obvious what Billy brings. As i said, everyone is a viable option, and there are still plenty more.

Like i said though, if you dont want to change the coach, its not difficult to nitpick every suggestion anyone could make.

B

bert_lifts

QCup Player
May 15, 2021
Why on earth would we replace kevy... lol.
Just ask Para and/or Brad Arthur. Going from a the GF to not making the 8 next year is pathetic. zero excuses.

Even though this season is a categorical **** up from everyone involved he still should be allowed some time. However If we have a rough start next year he will be gone like Brad.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
This is fairly off topic but in hindsight Farnworth seems to be the best backline player we’ve produced over the last few years and probably the one we should’ve kept over Staggs and Cobbo
I think Cobbo is better but he is a few years behind in development, Herbie is a stable performer but he doesn't have the topline ability of a player like Cobbo, no fend or passing ability near him.

defensively I don't think they are that far off either, Cobbo has proven to be quite a good 1 vs 1 defender this year, but to be fair he has had some drop off on the origin back up games that Herbie hasn't had to deal with as a pom.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
If memory serves me correct Farnsworth signed a one year deal to see how we were going. Then when we were top of the table after 7 rounds decided to sign with Dolphins…🤷‍♂️

Why sign a one year deal to see if the club is going in the right direction, just to jump ship when they are finally going well? Just after the $$$ if you ask me.
Potentially but I’m saying he probably deserves the 800k+ more than Staggs or Cobbo. That being said, it seems to be a fairly accepted story that he left to play right centre as he didn’t like being in the left

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think Cobbo is better but he is a few years behind in development, Herbie is a stable performer but he doesn't have the topline ability of a player like Cobbo, no fend or passing ability near him.

defensively I don't think they are that far off either, Cobbo has proven to be quite a good 1 vs 1 defender this year, but to be fair he has had some drop off on the origin back up games that Herbie hasn't had to deal with as a pom.
No doubt that Cobbo’s ceiling higher. His highest heights are up there with any player in the NRL but he is full of errors and bad decisions. Herbie is an intelligent player which would serve us far better than Cobbo who is one of about 7 players in our team that always prefer the low odds play.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Walters has a lot of work to do with this team and the club in general tbh. We need to build a culture that has high standards like the Storm and Penrith have. I just want us to find some role players who do their job week in week out.

It’ll be very interesting to see what Walters does with our squad and coaching staff in the off season. Pending on how we finish a bloke who can get us fittter would be required

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
I think if we miss the 8, kevvie should be sacked before round 1.

Sacking mid season is always a waste. In his 4 years we would have only made the finals once, that’s not acceptable.

The fact all the support staff are wanting to leave also shows they don’t believe they will learn anything or gain any experience under Kevvie so you will never get good support staff either.

The fact Kevvie has been picking Baker over Willison, and even Marty this year shows how inept he is. Also, the way if we have an injury instead of simply swapping one player (I.e Staggs out, should have just put karapani in, he moves Mariner to centre, swaps Jesse to the other side and brings in Oates, ruining both sides combinations).

Kevvie? I wouldn’t say he’s a good coach, he’s a good bloke, but yeah not a good coach.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
If we keep losing games and we dont make the 8, why wouldn't we? Just comes with the territory of coaching a powerhouse club. There is an expectation of success.
Think the only rookie nrl coach I'd go after would be slater or ryles other than that I'd rather decent nrl experience for our particular players and club

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Think the only rookie nrl coach I'd go after would be slater or ryles other than that I'd rather decent nrl experience for our particular players and club

If you can handle Wigan and St Helens in terms of pressure and expectation, you will handle the Broncos no worries imo. Its is a little more of a risk hiring an English coach, but i think every coach has that element of risk no matter where they come from.

If we go down the road of looking for a coach with NRL experience we are looking at the likes of Arthur, maybe Madge. Everyone has had a failure on their resume and there will be plenty of reasons not to head down one road or another.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Walters has a lot of work to do with this team and the club in general tbh. We need to build a culture that has high standards like the Storm and Penrith have. I just want us to find some role players who do their job week in week out.

It’ll be very interesting to see what Walters does with our squad and coaching staff in the off season. Pending on how we finish a bloke who can get us fittter would be required
Is our (next) captain invincible Pat Carrigan not enough of a roll model then?

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
You need more than one leader out there
Agree. We have Walsh we are missing Reyno, but I think Haas needs to try and overcome the personal shit in his life and revert back tot he game that has saw him win club superman over the last 4 or 5 years. I think we have the troops to lead getting them on the field and getting them in the right headspace has been the issue.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Agree. We have Walsh we are missing Reyno, but I think Haas needs to try and overcome the personal shit in his life and revert back tot he game that has saw him win club superman over the last 4 or 5 years. I think we have the troops to lead getting them on the field and getting them in the right headspace has been the issue.
A lot of them need to grow up over this off season. Some just not being professional enough.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
This is fairly off topic but in hindsight Farnworth seems to be the best backline player we’ve produced over the last few years and probably the one we should’ve kept over Staggs and Cobbo

Nah .
Cobbo has surpassed Herbert in his 1st season at centre . Give him 2 or 3 more and I doubt you say that again .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Potentially but I’m saying he probably deserves the 800k+ more than Staggs or Cobbo. That being said, it seems to be a fairly accepted story that he left to play right centre as he didn’t like being in the left

Last time I saw Herbert play he a got a bath .
Got out paced on the outside that led to a try , dropped a bomb and generally looked off the pace .

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.