NEWS Kevvie on Milford's contract renewal: right now you'd have to say "no"

HScreenshot 2021 04 07 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Queensland Co

Kevin Walters is asked whether Anthony Milford has earned a new contract:

“That’s a work in progress, right now you’d have to say no."

“We need to see ‘Milf’ playing better but I’m extremely confident we can get the best out of Anthony Milford. We’re four weeks into a 25-round competition plus finals. We’re in no hurry and Anthony’s in no hurry. As long as we keep building and getting better, that’s all I’m concerned with. It’s about taking small steps. Everything we’re doing is based around that. It’s all small-picture and trying to get better each week."

"Milf has played some good football this year at stages. We are backing him all the way. He is under a lot of pressure, as is everyone in a Broncos jersey at the moment. It’s about taking little steps at a time to improve and I feel Anthony is certainly having a crack. That’s what I like about him. If and when I believe that stops happening then things will change.”

“I don’t feel there’s any uncertainty around our halves. We’ve got two good halfbacks vying for a position. There is great competition there between them and that’s what’s good about the club. Both players have got areas in their games they are working on and moving forward to get better at."

“The plan is to get those two playing well and improve on what they’ve been building on. I’ve seen some great signs there and some areas we need to be better. The players are aware of that. We’ve had good conversations this week around the three of them (Milford included) and the role they need to play in the side. The competition is about trying to get better each week. I expect those guys to be better.”

“We’re really keen to hang on to Kotoni Staggs, we believe he has a bright future at the Broncos regardless of what position he plays for us. I’m sure he can play back-row, halves and centre. He can play several positions. Right now our major focus is to retain the services of Kotoni and then we will place him somewhere in those positions over the next 12 months.”

“We’re always in the market. You guys (media) should know that. Every club is on the lookout if players become available. We will be looking, but right now we’re trying to re-sign four or five of our junior players. That’s where our major focus has been, trying to secure those guys. There’s a big, bad world out there in the player market and my job is to coach the side. We’ve got other people in our organisation to look after those areas.”

McHunt

Why does everyone hate on Cronks commentating? I think it’s great to have someone with 2 brain cells break down the game. Way better than the usual dolts like Blocker
Because he loves the sound of his own voice. He goes on and on and on and on... if he was a little more concise he'd be much better. Trying way too hard.

Manly and Tigers interested in Milf. We should help him out and offer mid season release. If he continues to struggle with us, it will hurt his own value going forward.

Let him go, seriously. There is nothing he can provide for us now that would be much different to Dearden/Staggs and Croft.

Because he loves the sound of his own voice. He goes on and on and on and on... if he was a little more concise he'd be much better. Trying way too hard.
Yeah it’s not perfect but he offers great insight. I feel privileged to hear how Cronk thinks about the sport. He and Ennis are great additions to commentary imo

No point letting Milford go. Although he has become rubbish, we aren't going to get any of his salary back for this year and more importantly, there is no one to sign to replace him. Unless that changes, what's the point of letting him go? Even if he gets dropped, what happens when one of the halves inevitably ends up injured?

No point letting Milford go. Although he has become rubbish, we aren't going to get any of his salary back for this year and more importantly, there is no one to sign to replace him. Unless that changes, what's the point of letting him go? Even if he gets dropped, what happens when one of the halves inevitably ends up injured?

It’s a long shot but I’m fantasising that it’s a move to have Milford’s management agree to a swap with Widdop

Yeah it’s not perfect but he offers great insight. I feel privileged to hear how Cronk thinks about the sport. He and Ennis are great additions to commentary imo
From memory, Ennis was painful to listen to at the beginning as well. Hopefully, Cronk follows a similar learning curve and starts to make his point without all the waffle.

I could be wrong (because when it comes to this club you can never be sure of the obvious being done), but I think the bell might be tolling for Milford. Every pundit in the game calling for his head, Johns bringing up Karmichael Hunt on Thursday night as a potential replacement to avoid Dearden + Croft, the noise is just getting too loud for the club to ignore.

I feel like this happens every week though.

Told ya.

It’s a long shot but I’m fantasising that it’s a move to have Milford’s management agree to a swap with Widdop
If we are organising a swap to England it should be for Aidan Sezar. Widdop is way too risky

The Warriors Turner plays halves. Maybe Milf goes to Tigers or Manly and Turner takes his place in the 30. Just a thought.

I think the problem would be is that I don't think Milford wants to leave Brisbane, his family is here, that's why he came here in the first place.

If we are organising a swap to England it should be for Aidan Sezar. Widdop is way too risky
I agree with this. I have read previously that Aiden Sezer wants to come back to the NRL. Sezer wouldn't quit on the team mid-season which Widdop has done requesting a release from two of his clubs previously.

Widdop exit really did alot of damage to the Dragons. They were actually traveling along quite nicely until he pulled that request to leave in the middle of their season. The Dragons then looked for a replacement in Corey Norman and then everything went in a downward spiral for the Dragons from then on.

If we let Milf go, we'll likely be paying up to 800k for it. That would mean we are playing this season about $2 million under the salary cap plus paying a million to a coach not to be at the club. Unless there is someone incoming, letting Milf go would be ludicrous. Particularly if a month in Q Cup is all that is needed to get him to start firing again. It would be a disaster to let him go now.

That’s literally the job requirement

The main thing that bugs me is the hyperbole he fits into every single comment about the Storm or Roosters. We don't need reminders every time Tedesco touches the ball that he's the best in the world.

Otherwise he's insightful and likable for the most part, although the smug comes out occasionally when he tries to be funny. Same with Ennis, insightful but when he tries to be funny...ugh. That laugh.

That’s literally the job requirement
Providing insight into the player psyche every single play isn’t In The job requirement.

“right now Milford would be thinking of spinning the ball left”

when all he needs to do is wait for Vossy to say “play goes to Milford who didn’t kick on the last and got tackled”

If we let Milf go, we'll likely be paying up to 800k for it. That would mean we are playing this season about $2 million under the salary cap plus paying a million to a coach not to be at the club. Unless there is someone incoming, letting Milf go would be ludicrous. Particularly if a month in Q Cup is all that is needed to get him to start firing again. It would be a disaster to let him go now.
We should pay all of it to get the lazy toxic loser out of the club

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.