NEWS Kevvie on Milford's contract renewal: right now you'd have to say "no"

HScreenshot 2021 04 07 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Queensland Co

Kevin Walters is asked whether Anthony Milford has earned a new contract:

“That’s a work in progress, right now you’d have to say no."

“We need to see ‘Milf’ playing better but I’m extremely confident we can get the best out of Anthony Milford. We’re four weeks into a 25-round competition plus finals. We’re in no hurry and Anthony’s in no hurry. As long as we keep building and getting better, that’s all I’m concerned with. It’s about taking small steps. Everything we’re doing is based around that. It’s all small-picture and trying to get better each week."

"Milf has played some good football this year at stages. We are backing him all the way. He is under a lot of pressure, as is everyone in a Broncos jersey at the moment. It’s about taking little steps at a time to improve and I feel Anthony is certainly having a crack. That’s what I like about him. If and when I believe that stops happening then things will change.”

“I don’t feel there’s any uncertainty around our halves. We’ve got two good halfbacks vying for a position. There is great competition there between them and that’s what’s good about the club. Both players have got areas in their games they are working on and moving forward to get better at."

“The plan is to get those two playing well and improve on what they’ve been building on. I’ve seen some great signs there and some areas we need to be better. The players are aware of that. We’ve had good conversations this week around the three of them (Milford included) and the role they need to play in the side. The competition is about trying to get better each week. I expect those guys to be better.”

“We’re really keen to hang on to Kotoni Staggs, we believe he has a bright future at the Broncos regardless of what position he plays for us. I’m sure he can play back-row, halves and centre. He can play several positions. Right now our major focus is to retain the services of Kotoni and then we will place him somewhere in those positions over the next 12 months.”

“We’re always in the market. You guys (media) should know that. Every club is on the lookout if players become available. We will be looking, but right now we’re trying to re-sign four or five of our junior players. That’s where our major focus has been, trying to secure those guys. There’s a big, bad world out there in the player market and my job is to coach the side. We’ve got other people in our organisation to look after those areas.”

McHunt

If we let Milf go, we'll likely be paying up to 800k for it. That would mean we are playing this season about $2 million under the salary cap plus paying a million to a coach not to be at the club. Unless there is someone incoming, letting Milf go would be ludicrous. Particularly if a month in Q Cup is all that is needed to get him to start firing again. It would be a disaster to let him go now.
approx 500k lef to go on his contract for the season, depending if they pay monthly or weekly - not that it matters when you are earning 83k per month, or 20k per game..............20k per 80 minutes!!?!! Unless you are a drug dealer, not even the most attrectively desired short term meaningful overnight relationship rentals earn that much money!

So how does this pay thing work? Does Milf still get his full wage when he's in ISC?

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Allo
  • Emanon
  • Lostboy
  • broncoscope
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • scobie
  • BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.