Korbin Sims to St. George

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncsgoat approves of this message

I think he has been alright this year, particularly defensively. Watch him go to st merge though and perform the exact same way as he has up here then the sydney media produce headlines like “origin certainty”, “form prop of the nrl” and people on here will just listen blindly and say what a massive mistake it was to let him go...

Happy for him to leave, a neccessary evil. But with sims, thaiday and taga possibly going though we may need a minimum wage experienced prop to keep the young players honest and to step in when injuries or bad form strike

It’s true he never really set the world on fire while he was here but his departure does leave a few question marks around or depth in the Front Row that will need to be addressed before next season.

At best, we have Lodge, TPJ and Ofa as Props with reasonable NRL, and two of those three are realistically still rookies at NRL level, though granted they all appear to be capable of really high quality football.

You’d think at this stage our best hope is a random journeyman Prop who needs a home, but we haven’t exactly had great results with those sort of players relative to a club like say Melbourne who seem to get much more out of those kind of guys than we ever manage to.

Wonder if we now wish we hadn’t let Herman Ese go now?

It’s true he never really set the world on fire while he was here but his departure does leave a few question marks around or depth in the Front Row that will need to be addressed before next season.

At best, we have Lodge, TPJ and Ofa as Props with reasonable NRL, and two of those three are realistically still rookies at NRL level, though granted they all appear to be capable of really high quality football.

You’d think at this stage our best hope is a random journeyman Prop who needs a home, but we haven’t exactly had great results with those sort of players relative to a club like say Melbourne who seem to get much more out of those kind of guys than we ever manage to.

We didnt let Herman go did we? He just got a better offer

I wouldn’t be surprised if McGuire returns to the front row next year with Bird into number 13...

Last edited:
He's done alright for a cheap journeyman. He's had a couple of games where he Sims'd it up, and a couple where he looked really good, making some hard hits and decent, thrashing runs with offloads mixed in. That, and he's a bit of a character, so I like that.

In reality he was going to be left behind by our younger players coming through. We have more than enough players capable of playing the role.

He's done alright for a cheap journeyman.

I think he wasn’t cheap at all. I’m pretty sure the first two years of his contract were subsidized by the Knights, but he was on a decent pay level. I’m not saying he was marque level obviously but he was an Origin fringe player, he wasn’t on a cheap journeyman rate.

I think he wasn’t cheap at all. I’m pretty sure the first two years of his contract were subsidized by the Knights, but he was on a decent pay level. I’m not saying he was marque level obviously but he was an Origin fringe player, he wasn’t on a cheap journeyman rate.

I think it's only this year his wage got bumped up to something like 250k. Before that we were only paying him about 80k iirc

We didnt let Herman go did we? He just got a better offer
I understand that. It’s the same story with Arrow too. Just can’t help thinking how badly we could use both those guys at this stage. Someone had to make the decision not to offer those guys more money to retain them though, and in Arrow’s case especially we may have let the next great Queensland forward slip through our fingers. Granted our Back Row stocks were stacked at the time, but why could the Titans and Queensland staff see something in him as a Prop and no one at the Broncos could?

No loss, glad he wasn’t re-signed.
I’m fine with us not re-signing him as I agree he didn’t really ever deliver consistently for us, I just hope we do have a plan in place to replace both him and Thaiday because regardless of how effective they’ve been, they’ve made up a decent portion of our Front Row workload so far this season

Last edited:
I understand that. It’s the same story with Arrow too. Just can’t help thinking how badly we could use both those guys at this stage. Someone had to make the decision not to offer those guys more money to retain them though, and in Arrow’s case especially we may have let the next great Queensland forward slip through our fingers. Granted our Back Row stocks were stacked at the time, but why could the Titans and Queensland staff see something in him as a Prop and no one at the Broncos could?

I'm just not sure at that time we could compete financially.

I'm sure the Broncos could see the kind of player he was going to be, they didn't want to let him go.

But the Titans were offering too much and we had other young forwards to sign.

I am sure that I will be the only one disappointed to see him go. He has been very under-rated and I have appreciated his work. I think it is the right idea as long as re-sign these young forwards that we have but as someone said earlier I have no doubt that he will continue to play well there and will actually get the credit he deserves. I look forward to the future meltdown about our recruitment and retention for letting him go.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • broncoscope
  • RolledOates
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.