Korbin Sims to St. George

I understand that. It’s the same story with Arrow too. Just can’t help thinking how badly we could use both those guys at this stage. Someone had to make the decision not to offer those guys more money to retain them though, and in Arrow’s case especially we may have let the next great Queensland forward slip through our fingers. Granted our Back Row stocks were stacked at the time, but why could the Titans and Queensland staff see something in him as a Prop and no one at the Broncos could?
It's a shame because I think everyone knew what sort of a player Arrow is and will be but losing him and Herman has undoubtedly allowed us to keep TPJ and Haas. They plugged the gaps with Thaiday and Sims this season to bring Offa and TPJ into grade which hasn't been earth shattering but they've done the job.
I just hope McGuire moves back to starting prop with Lodge and TPJ moves to the second row or lock.
Lock needs to add some attacking ability with some footwork and an offload...McGuire adds **** all. Great forward/shit lock.

Sims served a purpose - he was a stop gap signing while our young guns got another year older and NRL hardened. He has had some memorable moments and has played a few games where he stood out. Unfortunately those games were few and far between otherwise we'd be upping his take home pay and keeping him. We have such a great pack of forwards on the books for next year and losing Sims's wage bill means we are able to retain the guns that we want. Sammy and Korbin's wages is what allowed us to keep Lodge, Su'a, Offa, Hass, Fifita, Gillett, McGuire. We also still have Glenn in there to help with experience and the likes of Carrigan and Flegler coming through next year. There is also the possibility that the unfortunate pommie who bust his ACL will come good as well as the potential of playing Bird in the pack. And if all else fails we still got Oatesy just dying to be our saviour!

Last edited:
I understand that. It’s the same story with Arrow too. Just can’t help thinking how badly we could use both those guys at this stage. Someone had to make the decision not to offer those guys more money to retain them though, and in Arrow’s case especially we may have let the next great Queensland forward slip through our fingers. Granted our Back Row stocks were stacked at the time, but why could the Titans and Queensland staff see something in him as a Prop and no one at the Broncos could?
Could we really? Arrow is a good player but he is a starting lock, and as a starting lock he isn't better than McGuire, nor is he better than TPJ is now/will be next year. Arrow is a high workrate player, not too much special about him.

Fine with Sims leaving. Budget deal for a guy who wanted to get out of Newcastle, he wouldn't have cracked our top 17 next year anyway. Don't think he'll be the last guy of our current forwards to move on from the club this year either.

At this stage I could see:
8. Lodge
10. Pangai Jnr
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Ofahengaue
15. Haas
16. Fifita

Next in line: Flegler, Carrigan, maybe Mago if we can hold onto him.

I think he wasn’t cheap at all. I’m pretty sure the first two years of his contract were subsidized by the Knights, but he was on a decent pay level. I’m not saying he was marque level obviously but he was an Origin fringe player, he wasn’t on a cheap journeyman rate.
I think his Knights contract was torn up because he chose to leave to serve under Bennett. I think he was only on minimum wage initially. Not sure of his current pay rate. Wouldn't be more than 200, one would assume.

I think his Knights contract was torn up because he chose to leave to serve under Bennett. I think he was only on minimum wage initially. Not sure of his current pay rate. Wouldn't be more than 200, one would assume.

99% certain the Knights paid the majority of his first year or two with us. Remember reading as much.

The club rates Carrigan, so this should give him a chance to play some mins. We should probably lock him up before he comes into FG (is he already signed to a multi-year deal?) to avoid an Arrow situation where a horrid club swoops in when he's just about ready to start, sort of like what we did with Haas.

I am sure that I will be the only one disappointed to see him go. He has been very under-rated and I have appreciated his work. I think it is the right idea as long as re-sign these young forwards that we have but as someone said earlier I have no doubt that he will continue to play well there and will actually get the credit he deserves. I look forward to the future meltdown about our recruitment and retention for letting him go.

The media talks up Hunt at St George, but not once this year have I thought "wow, we should have matched the Drags offer!"

EDIT: I just don't like that we are at risk of becoming the Ajax of the NRL, wherein we have the best record of turning young blokes into good NRL players only to lose them. Ajax at least have that model on purpose so they can make cash, we get nothing out of it.

Last edited:
200.gif

The club rates Carrigan, so this should give him a chance to play some mins. We should probably lock him up before he comes into FG (is he already signed to a multi-year deal?) to avoid an Arrow situation where a horrid club swoops in when he's just about ready to start, sort of like what we did with Haas.

The media talks up Hunt at St George, but not once this year have I thought "wow, we should have matched the Drags offer!"

EDIT: I just don't like that we are at risk of becoming the Ajax of the NRL, wherein we have the best record of turning young blokes into good NRL players only to lose them. Ajax at least have that model on purpose so they can make cash, we get nothing out of it.

I’m Dutch, and an Ajax fan. Love the reference!

Can’t totally agree they do it on purpose though, it’s more an innescapable reality of being in the wrong TV market that forces their hand. They just got €18million for Kluivert, who will probably be sold later for several times that amount, but €18million is pocket change for most big clubs on the TV deals they enjoy relative to the Dutch league.

Could we really? Arrow is a good player but he is a starting lock, and as a starting lock he isn't better than McGuire, nor is he better than TPJ is now/will be next year. Arrow is a high workrate player, not too much special about him.

Fine with Sims leaving. Budget deal for a guy who wanted to get out of Newcastle, he wouldn't have cracked our top 17 next year anyway. Don't think he'll be the last guy of our current forwards to move on from the club this year either.

At this stage I could see:
8. Lodge
10. Pangai Jnr
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Ofahengaue
15. Haas
16. Fifita

Next in line: Flegler, Carrigan, maybe Mago if we can hold onto him.

Can’t agree that Arrow isn’t at least as good as TPJ. He may not have been as good as McGuire at the time, but the Titans certainly saw his versatility and could use him at Prop, and the reality is he’s now the incumbent Maroons Prop all inside 9 months.

For a club that badly needs some Front Row muscle, geez it hurts to think we had the current Maroons Prop on our books this time last year and we didn’t find a way to retain him.

Best news of the season.

Not because I dislike Sims, but because it increases the likelihood of re-signing all of our young forwards. Announce a re-signing ffs.

Hopefully we have some signing news soon... Looking very slim next year. Still no renewal for TPJ, Lodge, Sua, Isaako, Oates etc. Looks like a lot of our cash is tied up with Boyd, Gillet and Bird all taking 700k+ each with one doing next to nothing on the field, and the other two still injured...

Really wish we would sign players who aren't injured...

+ Hunt. Will be nothing but good times for merge, i'm quite sure.

my first reaction was: :aaaaa:

but then i stopped and thought about it for a second and my reaction was: :aaaaa:

Unread

Active Now

• Stix
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • bert_lifts
  • Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • whykickamoocow
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  • lynx000
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Porthoz
  • davidp
  • Old Mate
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.