PLAYER Kotoni Staggs

Perfect example of him getting involved in the game and more opportunities coming his way.

14 runs is around the avg I would like to see from him..

I understand he is a explosive player and you can't expect him to be a pure workhorse that's just not his game,
But finding that nice middle ground where he does enough to play himself into the game each week is important and he did that perfectly last week
I'm not expecting Staggs to make them massive meters like Oates or Farnworth. What I want from Staggs is just take a few more runs and get to ground, with a quick play the ball to get our set rolling. Staggs isn't a massive meter eater, but he can push off the players and get a fast play the ball.

I'm not expecting Staggs to make them massive meters like Oates or Farnworth. What I want from Staggs is just take a few more runs and get to ground, with a quick play the ball to get our set rolling. Staggs isn't a massive meter eater, but he can push off the players and get a fast play the ball.
Forsure..

It just seems like them games when he gets his hands on the ball and gets a few carries opportunities tend to present themselves, it's the games where he only gets a touch or 2 in the first half that he struggles to get involved, but full credit to his game last week if he can consistently have close to 15 touches a game and defend hard then I think he warrants his pay packet.

Not expecting him to be the game breaker every week but he has that X factor and seems like a few early touches builds his confidence and quite often results in him doing something special later in the game

Forsure..

It just seems like them games when he gets his hands on the ball and gets a few carries opportunities tend to present themselves, it's the games where he only gets a touch or 2 in the first half that he struggles to get involved, but full credit to his game last week if he can consistently have close to 15 touches a game and defend hard then I think he warrants his pay packet.

Not expecting him to be the game breaker every week but he has that X factor and seems like a few early touches builds his confidence and quite often results in him doing something special later in the game

Totally.......if you go looking for work, opportunities WILL come your way.

I think last week Staggs went looking to get involved.....

Staggs is becoming one of my favourite players again in these first few rounds.

Just loving his competitive drive and aggression on both sides of the ball.

He's gone back to basics. Stopped trying the big power play on every run and just concentrating on getting the little things right. Still think he needs to get a bit more involved, but hopefully that comes as the season progresses.

He's gone back to basics. Stopped trying the big power play on every run and just concentrating on getting the little things right. Still think he needs to get a bit more involved, but hopefully that comes as the season progresses.

Wolfie I know you don't like him, but it's pretty hard to ask him to be more involved than what he is the last couple of games. He's taking a hitup almost every set, scoring tries, and I don't recall any real defensive lapses so far. He tries to be more involved and people will start criticising him for being selfish

Wolfie I know you don't like him, but it's pretty hard to ask him to be more involved than what he is the last couple of games. He's taking a hitup almost every set, scoring tries, and I don't recall any real defensive lapses so far. He tries to be more involved and people will start criticising him for being selfish

I like the player, not the person. Not meaning to be rude, but people need to start accepting that i'm quite easily capable of separating the two and have done for years. If i'm critical of him or any player its based on performance not personality. I think its a bit wrong to have a pop at me ( not saying you are either ) when i've been saying how good of a player i think he is way before he even got anywhere near the NRL.

Regardless though, i still think to be up their with the top centers he needs more involvement. I dont think people would think he is being selfish because a lot of well respected people in the game as well as on here think its something he needs to add to his game. For me, its more about just tweaking what he is doing now to get more out of him.

I think his performances this year have mirrored the team. Not great, but measured and solid.

I like the player, not the person. Not meaning to be rude, but people need to start accepting that i'm quite easily capable of separating the two and have done for years. If i'm critical of him or any player its based on performance not personality. I think its a bit wrong to have a pop at me ( not saying you are either ) when i've been saying how good of a player i think he is way before he even got anywhere near the NRL.

Regardless though, i still think to be up their with the top centers he needs more involvement. I dont think people would think he is being selfish because a lot of well respected people in the game as well as on here think its something he needs to add to his game. For me, its more about just tweaking what he is doing now to get more out of him.

I think his performances this year have mirrored the team. Not great, but measured and solid.

You're a hard marker mate, that's all I'll say. Granted his base should be higher than it has over the last season but I'll put that down to injury and the team not combining very well.

Nah Staggs has been excellent in the last two games, before that it was the same old hide from play but lots of defensive involvement.

basically as soon as we lost Oates he seems to understand we will need more help with carrys on our end, as Arthars hasn't got the body to do that to the same effect.

You're a hard marker mate, that's all I'll say. Granted his base should be higher than it has over the last season but I'll put that down to injury and the team not combining very well.

Probably i am a bit of a hard marker, especially when it comes to our best players. I think people get carried away sometimes on here when one big moment in a game masks a lot, where as i must admit i dont tend to. I like to see some consistency from these players, and i'm seeing that from Staggs.

I still think though we should expect that type of player imo to give us that little bit more. I just cant see how we get back to being genuine contenders again by accepting less from the blokes you are paying good money to.

Personally, this is his best start to a season he has ever had imo. He's had most spectacular ones, but the consistency of performance from him this year is what we need and there is still room for improvement. In my mind i know what he is capable of and its more than we have seen.

In fairness Wolfie, fans were being patient with Kotoni knowing how difficult it is to come back from not one but two difficult injuries.

I dont doubt it, but injuries are part of the game. Unless you are down to the very last man you shouldn't be playing if you are so injured you cant perform anywhere near your capability, and we all know the talent he has. God knows who was to blame for that with his shoulder. I'm still of the opinion if our medical team were doing their job properly it should have been picked up and he should have been stopped from playing. And i still think if its true he was hiding it, he's messed up as well. You dont do yourself or your team mates any favours doing that.

For me it still doesnt change much in terms of expectation. If you cant rely on your better players to perform and expect them to perform then you shouldn't pay them good money.

I dont doubt it, but injuries are part of the game. Unless you are down to the very last man you shouldn't be playing if you are so injured you cant perform anywhere near your capability, and we all know the talent he has. God knows who was to blame for that with his shoulder. I'm still of the opinion if our medical team were doing their job properly it should have been picked up and he should have been stopped from playing. And i still think if its true he was hiding it, he's messed up as well. You dont do yourself or your team mates any favours doing that.

For me it still doesnt change much in terms of expectation. If you cant rely on your better players to perform and expect them to perform then you shouldn't pay them good money.
Injuries are, but how many players have played their best footy after a knee reconstruction? Especially a player who was coming through a tumultuous period in club history and was still developing their game in the centres?

No doubt he still has some improvements to make, but based on what he's shown in 2023 he's well on track. He'd just about be the form centre in the NRL if it wasn't for Herbie.

Would love to see him come in to the centre of the field looking for a offload off Patty or Payne or run some lines at a half.
Not just be limited to sitting in the centres waiting for it.
Last few weeks he has got through alot more work than normal but some variation in attacking positions could work real well for him.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Galah
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.