PLAYER Kotoni Staggs

1988bronco

1988bronco

BRL Player
Nov 18, 2019
Is anyone else worried about Staggs consistency?

I'm the first to acknowledge on his day he is a genuine game breaker and he has been solid in defence so far this year...

The guy clearly has rare abilities but it just seems like it's a hard task to figure out how to consistently get him involved in games...

A part of me is starting to think Fairnworth overall brings more to the side on a regular basis than staggs does.

I hope I have to eat my words and he does find career best form this season but I can't help but feel sceptical about his ability to be consistent.

Is anyone else worried about Staggs consistency?

I'm the first to acknowledge on his day he is a genuine game breaker and he has been solid in defence so far this year...

The guy clearly has rare abilities but it just seems like it's a hard task to figure out how to consistently get him involved in games...

A part of me is starting to think Fairnworth overall brings more to the side on a regular basis than staggs does.

I hope I have to eat my words and he does find career best form this season but I can't help but feel sceptical about his ability to be consistent.
If you're solely comparing him to Herbie, he's certainly been pipped in attack. Herbie has scored 2 tries to Kotoni's 1. But Kotoni has made almost double the tackles (28 vs 16).

But that's only against Herbie. He still compares favourably against household names like Valentine Holmes and Latrell Mitchell, for example. Neither of whom have scored this season.

Too early to judge is my conclusion.

I think Staggs will get more involved in Attack when Walsh gets more involved on the right.

All our previous fullbacks after Boyd have preferred the right, Walsh is more about the left and now Herbie has been getting rewarded with that

I hope so, getting the best out of him each week would bring massive value to the campaign.

It's taken until now for this to be a concern that was thread worthy?

Staggs is a gun on his day, but they are pretty rare. If he can build his defence, he can be useful. I don't see him getting another big contract, but should definitely have a long NRL career.

I think Staggs will get more involved in Attack when Walsh gets more involved on the right.

All our previous fullbacks after Boyd have preferred the right, Walsh is more about the left and now Herbie has been getting rewarded with that
I was positive Boyd preferred the left too. Actually the majority or fullbacks / teams prefer the left

Except Walsh is more likely to cut Herbie out and lop it to the winger. Walsh might be the recipient when Herbie steps back infield though.

If Walsh is left handed [kicks left footed ] he should be able to pass to the right more naturally .
More attack comes left because its generally easier for right handers to pass that side especially under pressure .

Except Walsh is more likely to cut Herbie out and lop it to the winger. Walsh might be the recipient when Herbie steps back infield though.
There is also the pass to the winger then winger to centre as Walsh gets the last edge defender to commit to him with Herbie cover for the winger on fullback.

If Walsh is left handed [kicks left footed ] he should be able to pass to the right more naturally .
More attack comes left because its generally easier for right handers to pass that side especially under pressure .
Probably, it's only been 1 game though in the trials and the last game he favoured the left, it could be based on his step and he might be a good passer on both hands.

Probably, it's only been 1 game though in the trials and the last game he favoured the left, it could be based on his step and he might be a good passer on both hands.
He can pass in both directions. He's a professional rugby league player.

Go look at his highlight reels.

Big year for Kotoni. He's got enough ability, but he cant just wait for things to happen like he has been doing and he has to add another dimension to his attack because his i'll just overpower and run over my opponent plan just doesnt work that often.

For the same reason people rightly criticised Milf for being a big money half and not offering enough, Staggs is in the same camp. Being solid just doesnt cut it for a player you consider one of your best.

Good players don't wait for things to happen for them....if it aint happening

they usually find a way.
Wrong. Plenty of 'good players' drift in and out of games. Great ones usually don't.

I have written this in other topics before, but again:

1. Kotoni is vital for protecting Reynolds. VITAL. Watch how much work he does here.
2. Working it out of our half, the ball tends to go left because our 9s are passing it that way and (if you watch carefully) Staggs is loaded to run and it goes inside to Jensen or another runner because the DH looks inside.
3. Our attacking plays have been more successful going left so far because Walsh is skipping that way and Mam is there. The attack left is speed based, absolutely kills so far (especially from distance).
4. When it does go right, the passing either breaks down before it gets to Staggs (e.g., Cobbo bobble) OR Staggs is cut out or Riki gets the short ball. Staggs being there means that the Centre HAS to stick to him or the winger comes in freeing up Cobbo.

Staggs is fine, he has scored one try already because he played his part correctly. Walsh kicked instead of passing, but Staggs was on and ready.

We have a gun team and it is not time to be whining about Kotoni. He is a huge part of the team.

I reckon he would be getting simple instructions, run powerfully and tackle aggressively, he does that.

Do those things make you a 700k a year player? No, probably not but he has the ability to score a try when there is literally nothing on, that's what made him a 700k player. I got no doubt teams have to shut him down and that presents opportunities for players around him if they're too worried about Kotoni's power running close to the line, how many tries did Selwyn score last year untouched?

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • ezpz
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.