Koukash Interested in Broncos

I assume when you say Channel 9, you mean News Ltd? According to the Broncos most recent annual report, Nine don't own enough shares to even make their top 20 share holders list.

It makes sense to allow fans to buy into a club. It's loyalty money.
Yeah, I mean News corp of course... and unless they have sold it in the last half year, News owns about 68% of their shares.

News Ltd will never sell the Broncos
Sure they sold the storm because they haemorrhage money like its going out of fashion but Brisbane stand on their own two feet extremely well and they hardly require any work to them. For them, the Broncos are always a good investment. As for Koukash, he can buy shares but not as a majority share holder. This is when clubs go down the drain ala the knights with regards to how much control one person has on an entire football operation who isn't the coach.

News Ltd will never sell the Broncos
Sure they sold the storm because they haemorrhage money like its going out of fashion but Brisbane stand on their own two feet extremely well and they hardly require any work to them. For them, the Broncos are always a good investment. As for Koukash, he can buy shares but not as a majority share holder. This is when clubs go down the drain ala the knights with regards to how much control one person has on an entire football operation who isn't the coach.
At the end of the day if he comes along with a submarine full of money and throws it at News Ltd, they'll do what any smart business would do and take the cash. All depends on how much he wants a team, he's a billionaire so a lazy $50 million wouldn't make his wallet feel any smaller.

At the end of the day if he comes along with a submarine full of money and throws it at News Ltd, they'll do what any smart business would do and take the cash. All depends on how much he wants a team, he's a billionaire so a lazy $50 million wouldn't make his wallet feel any smaller.

He didn't become a billionaire overpaying on things he wanted.

damn, need to win that lotto quick smart then so i can beat him to it.

At which end of the Investment/Big Boys Toys scale does the purchase sit for him? If it's towards investment then I'd agree with you, I can't see how you could get a highly successful, massively popular club for a price that would make it a profitable venture as it's already sitting at the peak end of it's potential value. On the other side, if it's purely for bragging rights then he might be happy to pay above value just to have it.

If the interest is genuine then I can't see how the former situation would be the case, but then counting the zero's on my bank balance won't carve out a large chunk of your day so maybe don't go with my investment advice :)

Roman Abramovich says hi!

Speaking of Soccer, some minority owners of the Victory are looking to sell their shares. If they sell for asking price, the club would be valued at 30m, which is more than what we are worth. How stupid is that!?

Not surprising at all. An awful 'worst case scenario' though: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brisbane-broncos/story-fnp0lyn6-1227117008147

[h=1]Marwan Koukash wants to control who the club hires and fires if he buys into the Brisbane Broncos[/h]

• CHRIS GARRY
  • THE SUNDAY MAIL (QLD)
  • NOVEMBER 08, 2014 11:00PM

CONTROVERSIAL British billionaire Marwan Koukash does not just want to own the Broncos — he wants to control which players and staff the club hires and fires.
Koukash wants to own an NRL club and has had discussions with Brisbane property developer Phil Murphy about buying out his 20 per cent stake in the Broncos.
But The Sunday Mail understands Koukash wants control of any NRL club he invests in and would use Murphy’s shares as a precursor to ownership.
Koukash is the owner of the Salford Red Devils, a struggling Super League club on the outskirts of Manchester.
He has invested more than $5 million of his own money to turn the club around.
008119-c1d334d8-6706-11e4-a2ee-db0b93f02857.jpg

Dr Marwan Koukash during the barrier draw for the Melbourne Cup.

He could need to invest upwards of $50 million to control the Broncos but he has more than enough wealth to do so.
Koukash will visit Brisbane around the Christmas period to further investigate owning the club.
He has told friends he is only interested in the Broncos if he has full control.
It is understood Koukash, a brash horseracing owner who earned his wealth through management training company EuroMa Tech, believes he needs to have control of staffing and player appointments to make any club he buys a success.
While Murphy owns a significant portion of Broncos shares, approximately $4 million worth, his stake does not entitle him to a vote or any influence on the Broncos’ operations.
News Corp, publisher of The Sunday Mail, owns the controlling stake of the Broncos with 68 per cent of shares.

Koukash would need to buy out half of News Corp’s shares and Murphy’s to have control.
News Corp does not want to sell their shares at present, and a future sale would only occur following on-field success.
Broncos chief executive Paul White told The Sunday Mail he was unaware of Koukash’s interest in the club.
“We are a listed company. The shares are traded on the ASX. It is not a terribly liquid stock turned over in large volumes but we obviously have a few major shareholders,” he said.
“It (share ownership) is not something we focus on.
“Ultimately we don’t have control on whether someone wants to make an investment.”
Murphy had aspirations to buy News Corp’s shares but has become disillusioned in the club’s direction following the resignation of his good friend Andrew Gee.
010037-92ab3e26-6729-11e4-b8fc-0b9f02c7ac0d.jpg

Marwan Koukash has expressed interest in buying Phil Murphy’s share in the Broncos. Pic Darren England.

Murphy and the outspoken Koukash were meant to have a serious discussion this week about investment in the Broncos as the horseracing mogul was scheduled to travel to Australia for the Melbourne Cup.
However, Koukash decided to not to travel to the Cup and postponed his Australian trip to the Christmas and New Year period.
Murphy, who declined to attend the Broncos presentation night last month, has had several conversations with Koukash this year and as revealed by The Courier-Mail in August is considering selling his shares due to frustrations with club management.
Koukash has also spoken to officials from two other NRL clubs this year about buying their team.
If Koukash does buy Murphy’s shares he could angle to take a position on the Broncos board which would allow him a vote on major club decisions before pursuing News Corp’s shares.

Thankfully it'll never happen. The dude went stupid at Salford in the last few seasons. Sacked at least half the players after a bad year. Horrible dictator that I believe is too emotionally invested in winning and losing.

As much as I hate how the club has been managed over the last couple of years the idea of one bloke running the club like a dictatorship would be even worse.

He essentially wants to buy the club just so he can say he owns the biggest club in Rugby League, has no real emotional or sentimental investment and would probably throw stupid money at players in a purple patch with no long term planning whatsoever.

Side note I hope Murphy is over Gee's sacking and realises the club had to insulate itself from whatever happened.

Last edited:
If he wants to run the joint, why not just buy the Titans outrught instead of a 20% stake in the Broncos?

I don't care what club he buys as long as it doesn't start with B or end in roncos

So if he bought the club, that would pretty much mean that Bennett has very little control over the side and coaching staff?

Hopefully it never happens.

Seems the kind of club he wants is the Roosters. Take over Uncle Nick's role.

So if he bought the club, that would pretty much mean that Bennett has very little control over the side and coaching staff?

Hopefully it never happens.

Some people would love that

As much as I hate how the club has been managed over the last couple of years the idea of one bloke running the club like a dictatorship would be even worse.

ummmm... hey i dont wanna upset you, but we already have one bloke that runs the club like a dictatorship.....

He does know a little bit more about the club and game than Koukash:rolleyes:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.