Le Tour 2011

I thought I read it was a time trial - shows how much I know!

I think as a typical ignorant cycling fan but all round sports nut it would be great to see Cadel win it - kinda like seeing an Aussie finally win the US Masters

Up until the end of 2009 I would have vehemently disagreed with you. I used to hate Cadel. He was such a wheel sucking pussy who I hated to even watch. But in the last year and a half he has really become a racer instead of a rider -- Even though this is the 3rd year he's genuinely contended for the win, this is the first year he can actually say he deserves to win it. I hope he wins, but have no real complaints if Contador does instead.

Last edited:
Yep. If Cadel can stay with Alberto through the next couple of stages, or at least minimize his losses - he will win. He is superior in the time trial, and given the course there could be some significant time gaps. The fact he is leading Contador is a tremendous advantage at this point.

Sammy Sanchez is also an outside shot to win - he's currently ahead of Contador, but is more suited to downhill finishes.

He is superior in the time trial

To everyone but Alberto. Physical condition plays a much bigger part in 3rd week Time Trials than it otherwise does, so there's a case that Evans will time trial better than Contador. But he hasn't actually beaten Alberto in a Tour time trial since 2007.

To everyone but Alberto. Physical condition plays a much bigger part in 3rd week Time Trials than it otherwise does, so there's a case that Evans will time trial better than Contador. But he hasn't actually beaten Alberto in a Tour time trial since 2007.

That's fair, but the time trials weren't the second last stage and Contador hadn't just backed up from the Giro.

Given the apparent condition of both riders I expect Evans to record the quicker time - but you can't underestimate Bertie. He's a big time cyclist - and if he's up to it, he will make up a lot of time.

Regardless, both cyclists will be on the podium in Paris IMO - barring crashes or mechanical incidents of course. Ideally, no Schlecks' will feature either.

It's a little misleading that he hasn't beaten him in a time trial since 2007. Last year due to unfortunate events Cadel was too far behind and didn't have a crack - Alberto was still 5 minutes off Cancellara. Cadel didn't make it to the second time trial in 2009, in the first one that year he was only 3 seconds off Alberto. Whilst due to the drama surrounding team Astana, Contador didn't compete in 2008.

Cadel's time trial star is fading, whilst there are no doubts Alberto's is on the rise. IMO Alberto has the slightest of edges, however if Cadel can keep 30 seconds up his sleeve going into it I'd have to say he would be a warm favourite. As mentioned before though, there is always the unknown of being deep into a tour, strange things can happen.

Personally I hope Contador falls off the top of the Alp De Huez. How he was able to even start this years tour with his doping stench still hanging around is beyond me. This is a man who could very realistically be stripped of last years title. It would be devastating if those events unfolded after he won this years version.

So cycle-nerds....what's Cadel's chances like now after losing a bit of ground last night?

He's still in with a shot, although tonight's stage will be crucial.

His time trialing ability is far superior to the Schleck brothers, so it's important he sticks with Andy and to a lesser extent, Frank through the stage tonight. That said, the Schleck brothers may have improved on their time trial efforts in previous years.

Also, surely Voeckler will finally drop off tonight. Can't believe he's still there, mooching off everyone else.

Cadel is still in a solid position. It could have been a lot worse than it is. He did well to bring it back as much as he did with no help.

Sanchez and Contador are gone now too. Down to the Schlecks, Cadel and Voeckler.

Last night was Cadel's finest hour. Truly amazing to be able to tow the heads up to the highest finish ever seen on the tour. He is in the box seat at the moment, and if he can ride defensively as he has been all tour and counter any moves made tonight, he will be in yellow come Sunday. You beauty!

Well said, m1c.

That was an absolutely astounding effort from Cadel last night. Had no help at all from all the other GC contenders, just had to do it himself. Very gutsy riding.

Voeckler was such a **** last night. Had Rolland with him and wouldn't even send him to help Cadel. Most pathetic display of the yellow jersey since Cancellara neutralized the stage that Chavanel won last year. I can only hope that the frog eater cracks big time and doesn't even get on the podium. Europcar will be back next with a contender though - but it will be Rolland, not Voeckler who does it. He's a super talent.

What a truly epic stage that was! Contador attacking from miles out, then the chase, then the battle on the final climb. Cadel really rode his socks off, bringing everything back. He absolutely deserves to win this tour after the way he has performed and given how strong he has been on the last two stages you would have to think that he has the edge.

Also great to see Sammy Sanchez take the Polka Dot Jersey. No rider has attacked more than he has in the mountains.

Ari, I've never seen you so positive about Cadel! It is a sight to behold.

Ari, I've never seen you so positive about Cadel! It is a sight to behold.

I'm just giving credit where it's due. In tours where he has lost, he rode like a coward. Sastre attacked off the mountain and Evans whined that nobody else helped him chase, even though it was his tour to lose and nobody else benefited from chasing him down.

Fast forward to now, when Andy attacks in a similar fashion to Sastre. What does Evans do? Puts the onus on himself, says this is my tour to win or lose, and I'm going to ride for it. The fact that he didn't have that approach is why I always shat on him. Now he's doing the opposite and deserves full credit -- and the Yellow Jersey on the Champs-Elysee.

I fell asleep on the big decent! Very annoyed with myself but I was buggered. Serves me right for lying down I guess.

Epic ride from Cadel yet again. I really hope he wins -- and not just for my personal financial gain. He really deserves it.

What a phenomenal ITT from Cadel. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

An Aussie winning Le Tour de France... so delighted for him.

Don't follow cycling at all but well done cadel always good to see an aussie win an international sporting event.

Don't follow cycling at all but well done cadel always good to see an aussie win an international sporting event.

+1 Was about to post pretty much the same thing, awesome effort from the bloke.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Rambstien
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • KickHaas
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • leish107
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.