NEWS League newcomer Izaia Perese completes stunning NRL transition

I don't know whether I agree with this (probably not) and I honestly don't know what Seibold is thinking, but I have to give him his due, he is not afraid to make some ballsy decisions. Let's hope it works out for us. And before the usual suspects jump in, the decisions I am talking about are:
1. Making the call to replace Niko with Dearden;
2. The number of players that he has blooded this season;
3. Swapping Boyd and Milford;
4. Putting Turpin into halfback.

I have to be honest and say I'm feeling as negative as broncosgroat about tonight's result.

I don't know whether I agree with this (probably not) and I honestly don't know what Seibold is thinking, but I have to give him his due, he is not afraid to make some ballsy decisions. Let's hope it works out for us. And before the usual suspects jump in, the decisions I am talking about are:

5. Tap on Boyd, Macca &/Gillett shoulders at seasons end and free up the cap space would be quite an achievement of him. (All this would eventually help the club to hold on to young crop of players)
6. Make TPJ use his aggression wisely to the benefit of team
7. If Oates resigns, make him tackle hard opposition players
8. Butter fingered Shibasaki shouldn’t get anywhere near 1-17. Must be kept as far away as possible.
9. On a very light note - make Turpin concentrate on his forward passes at crucial plays
10. Make playing group play with aggression and hold onto the footy ALWAYS.

You can add dropping Roberts to that list

7. If Oates resigns, make him tackle hard opposition players
8. Butter fingered Shibasaki shouldn’t get anywhere near 1-17. Must be kept as far away as possible.

Probably an unpopular opinion but Corey Oates makes is just as butter fingered, if not more than Shiba. Good thing he can at least find the try line though.

Probably an unpopular opinion but Corey Oates makes is just as butter fingered, if not more than Shiba. Good thing he can at least find the try line though.

He's been pretty hopeless this year given his hype.

Rocks and diamonds player like Vatuvie but is a legitimate match winner when on. Cant say that about many wingers in the comp.

The additions of Arthurs, Coates, Herbie, Perese does not bode well for Oates contract upgrade... which is great news for Brisbane! Almost no winger is worth the $ Oates wants... and the good clubs definitely don’t pay big bucks for wingers generally speaking! Good luck to him, but 500k a year to stay would be a mistake for us!

The additions of Arthurs, Coates, Herbie, Perese does not bode well for Oates contract upgrade... which is great news for Brisbane! Almost no winger is worth the $ Oates wants... and the good clubs definitely don’t pay big bucks for wingers generally speaking! Good luck to him, but 500k a year to stay would be a mistake for us!
If all he is asking for is 500k ... Give it to him without even thinking twice

I agree he's a match winner when on, but also can cost us a match with a dropped ball at the wrong time.

That said, 500k would be the most I'd be happy with paying him. He's a good metre eater when he can hold the ball.

When we look at players and who makes the side, we need to look at the defence, as well as attack, and how they fit together. That's the thing about Glenn, and also he is so versatile. Along with plenty of others, I would have been happy to see Shibasaki gone, but after that Penrith game, I'm now leaning the other way. He defended brilliantly and makes good hit-ups (he even had good hit-ups in his shocker). If he could show us some of that pace he has with some hole runs I'd be sold, but for now, I'm happy to leave him be and let him develop.
Of the players in the side, our huge problem is being strong defensively consistently (along with organised attack and kicking). It's not that we don't defend well, but that we are often caught out, early on, with our outside backs down Shibasaki and Isaako's side. We need to be on song defensively right from the start.
I've been saying to people this is the worst backline we've had and up until now, it has been true. The one silver lining on this cloud is that there isn't a player from 1 to 7 who can't play better given time (as seen in the Penrith game, even Boyd).
The other thing I have noticed, though it is not something we can fix this season, is the lack of effort from the outside backs during games. It is more pronounced when a player like Glenn or Turpin is playing amongst them. I think it comes down to game knowledge and when to inject themselves, but also fitness in general.
Anyway sorry for this rambling mess of a comment but I'd thought I'd throw some ideas from the left field out there.

Active Now

• theshed
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Maddy
  • Jedhead
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.