NEWS Leaked edict reveals reasons behind NRL's refereeing fiasco

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
By Mark Levy | 11 hours ago
Source: WWOS

Reports of death threats being levelled at NRL referees is reprehensible, unacceptable and it's time to call out the real problems facing the match officials in rugby league.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now. The people in charge of the elite officiating squad need to explain why we've allowed the referees to become robots with their own language and no feel for the game.

This column isn't aimed at the whistleblowers on the field each weekend, it's directed at the likes of Tony Archer, Bernard Sutton and Jared Maxwell who have implemented a ridiculous set of guidelines that are now being used by the NRL referees, right down to the boys and girls running around with a whistle in the junior leagues.

Can you believe the refs are now being assessed on "key indicators" and if they don't blow the penalties which tick all of the boxes, they can be dropped the following week?

They've also been told what they can and can't say -- it's a fair dinkum dictatorship.

I've been leaked a copy of a document which was implemented by Archer and Shane Hayne called 'Officiating Best Practice - National Methodology' and it gives you an idea why the officials in all grades have become manufactured and robotic in the way they referee.

The pressure they're under during a game of footy is intense and I was flabbergasted to read in the 'National Methodology' which came into effect in 2016-17 and is still being used today, that referees have to identify tackle types and then communicate a phrase that matches the tackle.

It's called "ruck vocab" and after reading the document, I'm even more confused.

Here's an example:

There are times in a match when the Referee will apply a "two step" approach with their communication to the ruck. These situations include:

» Identification of a "Surrender Tackle"

» Upright tackles

Surrender Tackle Vocab Sequence (Tackle 0-4)

When the Referee identifies a "Surrender Tackle", the vocab sequence for the Referee shall be:

1. Call "Surrender" (mandatory)

2. Once sufficient time has been allowed for the defender, call "Stand" (mandatory)

3. Instruction to the defensive line/markers and/or ball carrier

4. "Hold & go" call to the defensive line. "Go" is to be called once the ball clears the ruck.

5. Tackle count (mandatory)

Could you imagine someone like Bill Harrigan being ordered to follow these guidelines when he famously declared in a State of Origin game, "Don't talk, just go" after he was labelled a cheat by Gorden Tallis?

I can also remember an entertaining exchange where another referee shut down a captain's question of, "Why would he tackle him in the head?" with a simple but effective retort, "I don't know, go and ask him."

Back then, the referees commanded respect and enjoyed the banter with the players; now, they're too scared to be themselves because they might find themselves in a lower grade.

Roosters premiership winner and former NRL referee Luke Phillips highlighted the problems with the current regime in a recent interview on 2GB's Continuous Call Team when he spoke about his time in the elite officiating program.

"As a former player you've got a feel for the game, but as you go up the grades you've got to be a bit more robotic and you can't have a feel for the game, it's all on indicators, black and white and that's where I fell down," he said.

"I wanted to have a nil-all penalty count and when it would end up 2-1, they would point out the penalties I should have blown during the game and when I challenged them on it, by explaining why I allowed it to continue from a footy point of view, they said it put more pressure on the referee the following week.

"I'd be in trouble for not giving penalties when I didn't want to give them."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F0a280a3b-8fb0-476b-852b-ab5c9eaff680
Former NRL referee Luke Phillips. (Getty)

What happened to adjudicating what's in front of you, referees having the courage of their convictions to make a decision and developing a rapport with the players?

It's worked since 1908, but for some reason we've got past and present referees bosses who have implemented a system which has destroyed the fabric on which some of the most successful whistle-blowers have built their careers.

I think it's time for the NRL to review these guidelines which have been allowed to fester and pollute the current crop of referees and those aspiring officials who are chasing their dream of controlling a first grade game.

Luke Phillips was also asked about the nit-picking in the game and the former whistle-blower said, "I can tell you, referees love catching out things, it's in their blood …they love when it's a knock on or they can say I've got you there, that's just part of refereeing."

The question needs to be asked of the NRL; are the die-hard supporters paying their money to watch football or a referee who's forced to blow the pea out of the whistle?

Lopsided penalty counts, no consistency and a lack of common sense in rugby league have become the major frustrations for coaches, players, commentators and more importantly, the fans who watch the NRL.

Yes, the game thrives on controversy and it'll never be perfect, but the sooner we allow the whistle-blowers to be themselves, the better.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4c745c14-4b6f-4287-bb0c-1bc426baec39
Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler says teams are frustrated with the refereeing. (NRL)

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F373042ce-d421-4df3-8111-236e4055d224
ARLC boss Peter V'landys. (Getty)
Given the current crop of referees and officials involved in the Junior Rugby League Referees' Associations who are contacting me; they think there's absolutely no logic in the guidelines they've been forced to conform to and the experiment needs to be scrapped.

The elephant in the room at NRL Headquarters is the standard of refereeing and it's through no fault of the whistle-blowers themselves, it's the adherence to the guidelines by their so-called mentors.

Let me know your thoughts by sending through an email to the WWOS Radio show by clicking on this link; https://form.jotform.co/70601482897867

"I wanted to have a nil-all penalty count and when it would end up 2-1, they would point out the penalties I should have blown during the game and when I challenged them on it, by explaining why I allowed it to continue from a footy point of view, they said it put more pressure on the referee the following week.

"I'd be in trouble for not giving penalties when I didn't want to give them."

This is pretty... Bad.

At long last somebody in Sydney is getting it.

They need to sort that shit out.

need a rugby union approach to reffing.
clear rules, and complete respect to the ref, regardless if you agree with his call.
you disrespect the ref, you spend 10 in the bin.
you hassle the ref all game (Cam Smith style) you get sent from the field.

Some calls will be wrong, but that's how it go's, accept and move on.

need a rugby union approach to reffing.
clear rules, and complete respect to the ref, regardless if you agree with his call.
you disrespect the ref, you spend 10 in the bin.
you hassle the ref all game (Cam Smith style) you get sent from the field.

Some calls will be wrong, but that's how it go's, accept and move on.

This is like the only thing Union gets right. I love the way they do not accept dissent at all. I also love that the ref refers to players as numbers and not names.

This is like the only thing Union gets right. I love the way they do not accept dissent at all. I also love that the ref refers to players as numbers and not names.

Good video that shows it clearly. Complete respect for the refs.

problem is NRL won't hold their nerve when they attempt to implement it. there'll be double digit binnings and/or send offs in the first round and the usual idiots will bleat about how the game's gone/game's ruined and the NRL will revert back the following week, because they're a bunch of little piss soaked bitches.

Always loved Luke Phillips. His effort against us in the 2000 GF was brilliant and a CC in a losing team would not have been a surprise.

Luke Phillips blocked me on Twitter on the weekend for asking him if Dominic Young diving forward after he's tackled counts towards his post contact metres when he complained there was no separation when Gagai dropped it.

Luke Phillips blocked me on Twitter on the weekend for asking him if Dominic Young diving forward after he's tackled counts towards his post contact metres when he complained there was no separation when Gagai dropped it.
How many ex nrl players do you bother? To be clear?

How many ex nrl players do you bother? To be clear?
Honestly not many, but a lot of them are proving they don't like their opinions to be questioned. I genuinely don't think this one was worth a block.

I don't see a problem with clear, consistent guidelines. In fact, at the top level, the game needs to be refereed the same regardless of who the on field ref is. Allowing a "feel" by an individual ref with an individual style is asking for trouble.

This is not the issue with the refs AT ALL.

I think this is why gavin badger was never really highly regarded by the ref leadership. He did not follow these guidelines to the letter.

However, most players thought he was one of the better referees going around because he was personable and interacted well with them.

Unread

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Swordfish
  • Mustafur
  • bazza
  • Battler
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • heartly87
  • Footy Fanatic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.