Left and Right Edge

BuckietheBronc

BuckietheBronc

BRL Player
Feb 26, 2017
Should we give the Roberts/Mead (Right Edge) and Kahu/Oates (Left Edge) another shot?

Now I know Mead had a very under par preseason but I think him and Roberts would be able to rekindle what they had at the Titans on that Right Edge. Our right Edge is strong already with Kahu being such a great finisher outside of Roberts, but I think he'd be much more efficient on the Left Edge both defensively and offensively. The fact that Moga lacks a passing game to set Oates up to finish is why that Left Edge is looking a bit left out. It'd be like a Justin Hodges type Left Edge, where Kahu would be constantly setting up Oates with his amazing passing game and nothing but speed down the Right Edge with Mead and Roberts.

I hear a lot of talk about the Roberts/Mead combo at Titans but what I saw wasn't really anything to get excited about. Not any more than the Roberts/Kahu combo which I believe is a better combination.

Roberts made that combo at Titans look a lot better than what it was. He did most of the work and Mead scored a few tries, but it was mostly Roberts.

I think Kahu needs to stay on the wing. He keeps injured at centre and to be honest I think his defence will be a big problem, moreso than Moga and Opacic.

I hear a lot of talk about the Roberts/Mead combo at Titans but what I saw wasn't really anything to get excited about. Not any more than the Roberts/Kahu combo which I believe is a better combination.

Roberts made that combo at Titans look a lot better than what it was. He did most of the work and Mead scored a few tries, but it was mostly Roberts.

I think Kahu needs to stay on the wing. He keeps injured at centre and to be honest I think his defence will be a big problem, moreso than Moga and Opacic.
I dont know many ppl that rated that combination at all, it's just a recent media beatup based on number of tries scored.

Roberts did most of the work at the Titans on the right side? You'll get some rebuttal mentioning that on the titans forum.

Roberts did most of the scoring which is fact but work, not even close. Mead carried his ass most of the season directing him in both attack and defence and if you asked him he'd agree. I counted at least 5 occasions where Roberts would cramp up before half time and once as early as the 25th minute lol. Multiple drop balls every game, lack of effort, defensive misreads, disinterested body language was all overshadowed by spurts of brilliance that won him Centre of the yr.

Mead begged most of career to have a centre at the Titans that could set him up and the only one that came close was Chris walker, certainly wasnt Roberts

Roberst start to this season imo is much better than any run of form of the 2015 season. He's playing with a purpose now and strengthened up some areas

Last edited:
Bennett doesn't want Kahu in at left centre because he is too much a liability it defence. Bennett is all about defensive and that's why Moga will stay there.

I think our right edge is fine and I don't think the issue is with the Wing/Centre combo on the left. The issue is that Milf is struggling (1 try assist this yr I think?), this is also evidenced in the fact that Oates has only scored once. Once Milf is back to his best (hopefully not far off) we can reassess whether Moga is the right fit at centre.

I wouldn't be changing anything at the moment.

Bennett doesn't want Kahu in at left centre because he is too much a liability it defence. Bennett is all about defensive and that's why Moga will stay there.

Moga needs to step up a bit more. I wouldnt say he has been bad defensively, but he hasnt been great either. He hasnt shown a lot attack wise, but we have been up against the 4 best sides from last year. HE need to show a bit more against the very, very ordinary bulldogs side.

We will have Tommy coming back soon, so i figure Moga has 4-5 weeks to make the position his own before i think Opacic will be ready to challenge. Havent seen a great deal of the older Pangai, but he doesnt seem in the picture.

While moga hasn't set the world on fire for us this year just yet I think it's important to remember his injury history and the fact that he hasn't had a consistent run of top level games under his belt. It's likely ot could take him half a season to find his rythem and full confidence again.

The fact that Wayne has given him a shot tells me that they like something they see in either his attiudide or the way he trains or some kind of potential there. Hopefully he finds his feet for us soon anyway.

While moga hasn't set the world on fire for us this year just yet I think it's important to remember his injury history and the fact that he hasn't had a consistent run of top level games under his belt. It's likely ot could take him half a season to find his rythem and full confidence again.

The fact that Wayne has given him a shot tells me that they like something they see in either his attiudide or the way he trains or some kind of potential there. Hopefully he finds his feet for us soon anyway.
Do we have a half a season to spare

Do we have a half a season to spare
If it means having an absolute gun in the centres for the second half of the year then yes. Personally I'm happy to keep him their until someone else earns the right to replace him. Still early days.

If it means having an absolute gun in the centres for the second half of the year then yes. Personally I'm happy to keep him their until someone else earns the right to replace him. Still early days.
Depends whether a centre can cost us a game or not

I must be missing something. I think moga has been in our top 5 players this season and don't think tommy O will force him out. Huge potential if he can string more games together and for the dough could be the nrl signing of the year by the season out

I must be missing something. I think moga has been in our top 5 players this season and don't think tommy O will force him out. Huge potential if he can string more games together and for the dough could be the nrl signing of the year by the season out

I wouldn't say top 5 players, but certainly up there in terms of "who's playing better than most expected". If Milford snaps out of his funk or Moga gets a bit of room to move or at least one-on-one with his opposite, he's going to be almost unstoppable.

Top 5:

1. Gillett
2. Boyd
3. Ese'ese
4. Kahu
5. McCullough

Plus Hunt, Sims, Thaiday, Roberts and Blair have been really good. Then McGuire in his new position, plus TPJ. After these, Oates as well. You could argue Moga has been on par with Arrow and ahead of Glenn, Marshall and obviously Milford who has just about been the worst all year, though better than Marshall's pointless cameo.

Long story short, obviously this is all debatable and I do think a lot of Moga's lack of performance does come down to Milford butchering everything in sight. I do think Moga deserves a few more weeks though, especially outside a firing Milf and not a struggling for life one.

Moga needs early ball. That's his strength he can't get it at the line. He's not that type of centre.

Would like to see the stats but he's made some valuable yards off our line and made a few errors too but still very solid performer for mine. Your a hard man sproj

Active Now

• Redfern_1980
  • FACTHUNT
  • Gaz
  • broncoscope
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Mpost
  • winslow_wong
  • Hurrijo
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.