Let the off season review begin

I’m gonna cop it for this but I actually think Hayne was the best winger if you purely count ceiling and not longevity in the position.
Probably but his peak was at Fullback, I think if we Talk about Hayne strictly at wing, Falou was probably better.

In the conversation from the last 20 or so years:
JYY, B.Morris, origin Gagai, origin Hayne (I know, I know), To'o, early career Crichton, early career Folau, early career Inglis, Tupou, Johnston, Storm version Addo-Carr, Sing, Tuqiri, Mulitalo (I know, I hate it too), Warriors DWZ, Isaako, rep level Tate, Sailor, Radradra, peak Sivo

Who am I missing?
What's vunivalu upto these days? Had a pretty good strike rate at the storm

What's vunivalu upto these days? Had a pretty good strike rate at the storm

I still remember that time he flew at two blokes heads with his knees, like he was trying to jump them or something.

Yea Del is always front of mind when I think of greatest winger of all time but I’m sure I’m being bias
Sure there is Bias but the gap between him and others in his era was huge, You could argue he had that Jonah Lomu like breakout that brought in the modern big winger into the game, sure you had the likes of Eric Grothe in the pre professional era, but Sailor was in the full time training era and he was a tier above everyone in his position physically in all regards, he had the forward size with the speed to match.

Before a winger was seen as a finisher mostly but Sailor was a game breaker from what was seen as the most expendable position.

In the conversation from the last 20 or so years:
JYY, B.Morris, origin Gagai, origin Hayne (I know, I know), To'o, early career Crichton, early career Folau, early career Inglis, Tupou, Johnston, Storm version Addo-Carr, Sing, Tuqiri, Mulitalo (I know, I hate it too), Warriors DWZ, Isaako, rep level Tate, Sailor, Radradra, peak Sivo

Who am I missing?

Scotty Minto

Sure there is Bias but the gap between him and others in his era was huge, You could argue he had that Jonah Lomu like breakout that brought in the modern big winger into the game, sure you had the likes of Eric Grothe in the pre professional era, but Sailor was in the full time training era and he was a tier above everyone in his position physically in all regards, he had the forward size with the speed to match.

Before a winger was seen as a finisher mostly but Sailor was a game breaker from what was seen as the most expendable position.

And every other team started looking for that kind of winger but no one got close at least not as consistently great as Sailor was. Tuqiri was probably the closest but even he wasn’t Big Dell

You do have the likes of Brett Morris, Radrada or Johnston for example who were much better try scoring wingers in worse teams than To'o is playing in.

His job is not to just place the ball over the line with downward pressure .
To O does double duties . Makes as many metres as a middle , doesn`t let opposition past him and places the ball with downward pressure very regularly .

So yes the best I have seen in the last 5 years .

I'd put a sneaky mention in for Daniel Tupou... gets through a ton of work, great aerial threat, great finisher on his wing for a lanky winger and has been doing it for a long time now... modern league and Vlando ball.

Yeah !
He really rivals To o for metres too . LOL .

All round game fellas . Not catch and fall over the line . ...

His job is not to just place the ball over the line with downward pressure .
To O does double duties . Makes as many metres as a middle , doesn`t let opposition past him and places the ball with downward pressure very regularly .

So yes the best I have seen in the last 5 years .

So your limit is 5 years ?

So your limit is 5 years ?

Post COVID the rules are different .
Comparing eras is too hard .

I am also talking about his allround game and how it benefits his team . Not how many times he scores .
He is a big part of Panthers winning games by saving the energy of the forwards to attack .

We had no choice but to pay him that. Losing him at that time after Fifita and Coates abandoned ship would’ve ruined us for a decade
100%. On face value it might be overs, but he was the big fish we needed to keep at the time. His performances in the back end of this season weren’t far off his contact value imo.

I still remember that time he flew at two blokes heads with his knees, like he was trying to jump them or something.
i remember him putting a really scabby shot on kodi nikorima and injuring him after the siren after melb already beat us by like 60, kodi was on the wing iirc and they just kicked to him all night and it was a disaster

i remember him putting a really scabby shot on kodi nikorima and injuring him after the siren after melb already beat us by like 60, kodi was on the wing iirc and they just kicked to him all night and it was a disaster
God, I’d forgotten that game. What a disaster.

I'll post it here too because it's part of my review of the season

Watch the first four sets from the Melbourne Storm VS Broncos game and see where the differences are. Firstly, we are too passive in defense. We wait for them to come to us and give them a million metres from the get go. If our fitness isn't good enough to move forward in defense for 80 minutes, the coaching is at fault.

Secondly, the play the ball. I understand that you're supposed to get up and play the ball with your foot, but we are legitimately the only team who consistently makes contact with our foot when playing the ball. It slows everything down. Seriously, I implore you to watch the first four sets of the Storm game and you'll see just how much it makes a difference. Storm were playing tunnel ball. The Panthers (Specifically Yeo who throws it backwards like he's snapping it back to a quarterback) do this so well and it gets them on the front foot immediately. We start every game on the back foot because we are doing both of these things poorly.

It worries me that the Broncos as a whole can't see refereeing trends that occur throughout a year and change our tactics to suit them. The Storm have been holding people in scrums, playing tunnel ball, blocking kickers etc for decades, the Panthers get away with murder. We aren't on the front foot at all and that is on the coach. What's our game plan? What are our tactics? What weakness does the team we are playing against have? Does Kevin even know? Because it doesn't look like it when the players run on the field every week..

I'll post it here too because it's part of my review of the season

Watch the first four sets from the Melbourne Storm VS Broncos game and see where the differences are. Firstly, we are too passive in defense. We wait for them to come to us and give them a million metres from the get go. If our fitness isn't good enough to move forward in defense for 80 minutes, the coaching is at fault.

Secondly, the play the ball. I understand that you're supposed to get up and play the ball with your foot, but we are legitimately the only team who consistently makes contact with our foot when playing the ball. It slows everything down. Seriously, I implore you to watch the first four sets of the Storm game and you'll see just how much it makes a difference. Storm were playing tunnel ball. The Panthers (Specifically Yeo who throws it backwards like he's snapping it back to a quarterback) do this so well and it gets them on the front foot immediately. We start every game on the back foot because we are doing both of these things poorly.

It worries me that the Broncos as a whole can't see refereeing trends that occur throughout a year and change our tactics to suit them. The Storm have been holding people in scrums, playing tunnel ball, blocking kickers etc for decades, the Panthers get away with murder. We aren't on the front foot at all and that is on the coach. What's our game plan? What are our tactics? What weakness does the team we are playing against have? Does Kevin even know? Because it doesn't look like it when the players run on the field every week..
Great post. None of this type of structure/system issues have been addressed during Walters and before him. We have been like this since I remember. We are one out in attack and with no line speed in defense. We got through to a grand final on long range tries great support play and scrambling defense. The players coming and going does not matter nearly as much as fixing the issues you suggest.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • Tristan1990
  • Midean
  • lynx000
  • Gaz
  • azza.79
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • Alec
  • kman
  • thenry
  • Stix
  • upthebroncs
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Old Mate
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.