Let the off season review begin

I'm really don't get why we are writing off Maguire....................the man has been a Super League winning coach, an NRL premiership winning coach, a State of Origin series winning coach, and International winning coach..................................yet somehow he's not good enough to even be considered?

Did he just somehow fluke all that?

Well apparently Kevvie fluked 2023 so yeah.

The reality is, every club team Maguire has coached has trended down before nosediving to him getting him sacked. We'll get a sugar hit from him and then we'll all be back here calling for him to be sacked in about two years from the time Kevvie is sacked.

We will go 1 and 5 to start the season or some terrible result like that and Kev will be punted, only to be replaced by....fucking Bazza.

This club is not taking footy seriously enough, I'm sorry. We are a glorified merchandising company like Nike. Fans need to get real and stop rewarding the club for mediocrity. I'm not buying another jersey until our next premiership.
Buy one now, they’re discounted :)

Well apparently Kevvie fluked 2023 so yeah.

The reality is, every club team Maguire has coached has trended down before nosediving to him getting him sacked. We'll get a sugar hit from him and then we'll all be back here calling for him to be sacked in about two years from the time Kevvie is sacked.
That’s the life cycle of every coach

The reality is, there may be a better coach out there but this club will not be a powerhouse again until it gets an R&R team sorted. They need to clean out the up toppers who have been there since the Seibold stuff up.

Redcliffe will go past us very quickly with the pathway systems they have set up and the proactiveness they show.

Then the next two teams will come in and we’ll still sit on our hands and say yeah but we’re the Broncos, we’re a powerhouse because we were relevant 20 years ago so there. And nothing will change and we’ll keep making one heart breaking grand final a decade and that’s it.

That, exactly as you described is THE problem I reckon. As long as the executives think they can milk mindless casuals for everything they're worth regardless of how the team is actually performing, the opinions of supporters like us means **** all.

The Broncos are far more a "corporation" than they are a footy club.
Been the case since Murdoch has had anything to do do with the place. Nothing much will change while that remains the situation, unfortunately. Morris is not the only Murdoch man there either.

I think he’s found his sweet spot with Internationals and Origin tbh. I’m not saying he’s a good coach but the end at the Bunnies was rough and the Tigers experiment was a debacle.
Bennett / Newcastle.
Some coaches need the right roster to be successful.

we’re the Broncos, we’re a powerhouse because
Because…….
We are the most profitable.
We have the most members.
We have the biggest game attendance.
Just have trouble winning football games. 🤔

We will go 1 and 5 to start the season or some terrible result like that and Kev will be punted, only to be replaced by....fucking Bazza.

This club is not taking footy seriously enough, I'm sorry. We are a glorified merchandising company like Nike. Fans need to get real and stop rewarding the club for mediocrity. I'm not buying another jersey until our next premiership.

The Broncos could care less about you buying a jersey .
Corporate sponsors are where it`s at .

The game day ticket is subsidised by the corporates . Fans are just there to add atmosphere for the players and to make the TV shots look good .
They don`t care about your membership money , how many jerseys you buy or whether you buy a ticket . The bills are already paid .

That message comes from Wayne Bennet`s biography .

The Broncos could care less about you buying a jersey .
Corporate sponsors are where it`s at .

The game day ticket is subsidised by the corporates . Fans are just there to add atmosphere for the players and to make the TV shots look good .
They don`t care about your membership money , how many jerseys you buy or whether you buy a ticket . The bills are already paid .

That message comes from Wayne Bennet`s biography .
Indeed!

The reality is, there may be a better coach out there but this club will not be a powerhouse again until it gets an R&R team sorted. They need to clean out the up toppers who have been there since the Seibold stuff up.

Redcliffe will go past us very quickly with the pathway systems they have set up and the proactiveness they show.

Then the next two teams will come in and we’ll still sit on our hands and say yeah but we’re the Broncos, we’re a powerhouse because we were relevant 20 years ago so there. And nothing will change and we’ll keep making one heart breaking grand final a decade and that’s it.

They have completely changed R & R from the Seibold days.

White = gone
Nolan = gone
Seibold = gone

Probably the biggest change was the leaks were plugged. (Much to BHQs dismay)

Since we use an affiliate model, it's harder to set up direct pathways like the NSW (and even Redcliffe do ... I don't like the affiliate model BTW.

I also disagree that we're sitting on our hands. The negotiations with players we want to keep would be ongoing (probably complete in some cases, just not announced. We've seen in the past that the club like to announce signings in groups and tend to do it during the off season)

Additionally, the biggest area we need to fix are our depth and fringe players. But in order for us to go that, we'll need to wait for the good teams still playing to complete their seasons and do their reviews... Because players the Tigers are happy to let go aren't going to fix our depth issues.

They have completely changed R & R from the Seibold days.

White = gone
Nolan = gone
Seibold = gone

Probably the biggest change was the leaks were plugged. (Much to BHQs dismay)

Since we use an affiliate model, it's harder to set up direct pathways like the NSW (and even Redcliffe do ... I don't like the affiliate model BTW.

I also disagree that we're sitting on our hands. The negotiations with players we want to keep would be ongoing (probably complete in some cases, just not announced. We've seen in the past that the club like to announce signings in groups and tend to do it during the off season)

Additionally, the biggest area we need to fix are our depth and fringe players. But in order for us to go that, we'll need to wait for the good teams still playing to complete their seasons and do their reviews... Because players the Tigers are happy to let go aren't going to fix our depth issues.

Players who were gettable throughout the year that addressed at least some of our needs:
- TPJ (understandable we were reluctant)
- Skelton
- Finefeuiaki
- Clifford
- Hosking
- Cotric
- Whitehead
- Curran
- Farnworth (yep had we been proactive, who knows maybe we would have been in a batter position to make him a better offer, for example not signing Paix on a decent deal forever for example or extending the likes of Rogers and Walters to unnecessary extended deals)
- K.Haas
- Lisati
- Mathew Croker is exactly the kind of money ball depth signing Ikin would have made

Jamal Shibasaki is on a development deal next year, why don't we try and poach him back?

Even right now there is a winger just sitting there unsigned for next year who is exactly what we need - a cheap metre eater - Vaega. Do you reckon our R&R team have even spoken about him or even know who he is? What about Dean Ieremia?

Now obviously, I have no idea if any of these guys have been spoken to but you reckon Vaega or Ieremia would say no to a two year deal with legit shots at an open wing spot on our team?

Players who were gettable throughout the year that addressed at least some of our needs:
- TPJ (understandable we were reluctant)
- Skelton
- Finefeuiaki
- Clifford
- Hosking
- Cotric
- Whitehead
- Curran
- Farnworth (yep had we been proactive, who knows maybe we would have been in a batter position to make him a better offer, for example not signing Paix on a decent deal forever for example or extending the likes of Rogers and Walters to unnecessary extended deals)
- K.Haas
- Lisati
- Mathew Croker is exactly the kind of money ball depth signing Ikin would have made

Jamal Shibasaki is on a development deal next year, why don't we try and poach him back?

Even right now there is a winger just sitting there unsigned for next year who is exactly what we need - a cheap metre eater - Vaega. Do you reckon our R&R team have even spoken about him or even know who he is? What about Dean Ieremia?

Now obviously, I have no idea if any of these guys have been spoken to but you reckon Vaega or Ieremia would say no to a two year deal with legit shots at an open wing spot on our team?

Many of those players you mentioned won't be coming a club as depth players and they likely wouldn't beat out our current players for a position in our best 17.

There were also reports that we chased Hosking, but Canberra were prepared to pay better money and there was a better chance at a starting position.

The other point I didn't mention in the quoted post is shouldn't we be waiting for the outcome of the external review before making significant moved ... Otherwise, what is the point of doing the review in the first place.

I do think people have a romantic view of Ikin for some reason, I can't recall any significant moved that he made while he was here whether that be Superstar or depth player. I've asked the question about Ikin many times, but it's always been ignored.

Many of those players you mentioned won't be coming a club as depth players and they likely wouldn't beat out our current players for a position in our best 17.

There were also reports that we chased Hosking, but Canberra were prepared to pay better money and there was a better chance at a starting position.

The other point I didn't mention in the quoted post is shouldn't we be waiting for the outcome of the external review before making significant moved ... Otherwise, what is the point of doing the review in the first place.

I do think people have a romantic view of Ikin for some reason, I can't recall any significant moved that he made while he was here whether that be Superstar or depth player. I've asked the question about Ikin many times, but it's always been ignored.

Not sure it has been ignored or you have missed the answer but signings under or at least around Ikin's watch:
- Capewell
- James
- Walters
- Lee
- Hoeter
- TMM
- Pereira
- Hosking
- Taupau
- Madden
- Sailor
- Smoothy
- Plath

Some pretty good squad players in there and some legit under appreciated / quality ones that have gone in Hosking, TMM and Plath but also, it was getting rid of some of the deadwood and upgrading the depth too in:
- Kelly
- Niu
- Kennedy
- Kennar
- Turpin
- Lodge
- Isaako
- TPJ
- Milford

How much is down to Ikin? I don't know but feels like a lot of responsible list decision making as opposed to now. Announcements of signings also seemed to occur earlier in the year. Maybe it is romanticising but I don't think any one could honestly sit there and think what the Broncos have been doing in this space this last 12 months is good enough.

Not sure it has been ignored or you have missed the answer but signings under or at least around Ikin's watch:
- Capewell
- James
- Walters
- Lee
- Hoeter
- TMM
- Pereira
- Hosking
- Taupau
- Madden
- Sailor
- Smoothy
- Plath

Some pretty good squad players in there and some legit under appreciated / quality ones that have gone in Hosking, TMM and Plath but also, it was getting rid of some of the deadwood and upgrading the depth too in:
- Kelly
- Niu
- Kennedy
- Kennar
- Turpin
- Lodge
- Isaako
- TPJ
- Milford

How much is down to Ikin? I don't know but feels like a lot of responsible list decision making as opposed to now. Announcements of signings also seemed to occur earlier in the year. Maybe it is romanticising but I don't think any one could honestly sit there and think what the Broncos have been doing in this space this last 12 months is good enough.
Wasn’t half Kev’s issue with Ikin, was that he was too involved with squad decisions.

What level of responsibility is on Kev? Chicken Sandwich blamed Kev by name

Wasn’t half Kev’s issue with Ikin, was that he was too involved with squad decisions.

Its always hard to know obviously but I just cannot believe that Kevvie would not have met with Sandwich given nurturing our youth seems to be one of Kevvie's few obvious strengths. Who knows though of course.

I feel like Kevvie has taken a ton of bullets for his players this year. I’m keen to see how this review goes and how they critique Kevvie. I guess we will know how much they’ve got his back going into next year.

According to Kev's mouthpiece Gordon tallis ikins job should have been to be his lapdog and serve him.

- Capewell
- James
- Walters
- Lee
- Hoeter
- TMM
- Pereira
- Hosking
- Taupau
- Madden
- Sailor
- Smoothy
- Plath

at least half, probably more of those players BHQ have or still do complain about on a regular basis. **cough** Billy **Cough**

and if Capewell is down to Ikin he is one of the fastest negotiator in history. Capewell's signing was announced 3 days after Ikin started, given that there is or was a 10 day cooling off period, realistically, Capewell signed on the dotted line a week before Ikin started.

Ben Ikin started on 28 June 2001 ... Capewell's signing was announced by the club on 1 July 2001.

but maybe we should agree to disagree. i'm not going to sway you from your uninformed opinion, and I won't be swayed from my uninformed opinion

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Skyblues87
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • eggstar10
  • Spooky1013
  • Rookie Alan
  • KevieBurnerAccount
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.