Lets play coach (not the same as last thread)

Dave said:
Defence;

We don't communicate - if you want to sprint up go for it but make sure the blokes beside you do the same

We don't move - If the opposition are running a play at our right side defence our guys on the left just seem to stand there and watch. It's like running up out of the line - if one side slides the other side has to follow or you leave huge holes in the middle of the park

This.

Communication - working as a unit - staying honest - protecting the bloke beside you.

Let's email this thread to Ivan.

Apart from the tackling problems, as rna said (and I've said before) our attack is inexplicably flat. Lockyer continues to shovel the ball out to players who are almost already being tackled. It's like they are banking on this player to turn his back and pop an offload. Sure it's a good move - if used as one of a variety of attacks - but at the moment it appears to be our only play.

For mine McCullough is the only one who offers us any variety or surprises in attack but another one of the Broncos' perenniel problems comes up - no support runners. Most teams have a fullback who stands just behind the play the ball and follows whoever is hitting it up, just in case. I don't see this from the Broncos. So if McCullough throws his dummy and gets thru, or if Sammy busts the line, there is rarely someone around for them to throw it to.

IMO Kemp's pretty good with his support play, we really should try him at fullback this week if available. Hoffman and Yow Yeh on the wings with Kemp at fullback. Winters either goes back to reserves of Hoffman drops off(most likely).

I don't think that's going to help. Leave Hoffman at fullback where he prefers and Kemp has obviously shown he can be damaging on the wing. After a couple of more games with Hoffman at fullback we'll see if he can cut it.

if i was ivan i would sack myself because forget what we see on game day i would look at all the players i have in my roster and ask myself as a coach which player has improved under my coaching and when the answer is no one i would understand that maybe the best decision is to stand down or ask the club for help.

I dont see our defencive issues as anything besides coaching and attitude issues. From what i hear the goup of players now dont get on with each other and nothing is been done to improve it. The issue with izzy is perfect example Hes a 20 year old kid who at 17 started playing first grade that means his life from what 14 has been spent mostly with other players not outside friends. Hes gone from a club (storm) who were close knit and spent time outside footy together to a club (broncos) where the player groups are split into 5 or 6 group who dont get on with each other. From what i hear thats why he doesnt care about leaving because he misses the club unity because thats what he was used to. When your not united as a team deffence is what suffers.

Ivan knows what he's doing. Trouble is, no-one else does.

draggx a few obvious ones that for some reason can't be fixed:

1) On-line D --> our scrambling D has generally always been good but our online D since IH has been nothing short of shocking at times. I won't go as far as saying it is as bad as the Sharks but we NEED to show some resilience on our line ---> esp on repeat sets

2) Shutting down offloads - admittedly this has been a problem since WB as well but something simple as wrapping up the ball never seems to be a priority ... especially when we're tired or want the set to be over... where as you should be constantly up in their face putting pressure on the offense.

3) Kicking game? Locky has the strangest kicking game in the last couple of years... his excellent long range kicks to the corner are not as frequent and his grubber is literally non existent and he doesn't even utilise his bomb... uncanny IMO
Wallace is just too inconsistent in his - his got a nifty short one but he needs to add some tricks to his bag

4) 2nd Phase play - rarely have any apart from Gillette now I guess... we've got nothing in the forwards in regards to 2nd phase play... our forward pack is a shadow of previous packs of course but we're just not getting it right.

Fundamental stuff but we are so far behind in these simple areas at the moment and truthfully it reflects were we are at the moment... honestly though we just need to rack up some wins and see the formations we get going towards the end of the season...

Give players a set position and get them to develop in that role.
We've got Teo and Glenn swapping roles contatantly - often mid game, Ben Hunt playing Hooker in Qld Cup and halback now. Beale is on the wing one minute and dummy half the next. There just appears to be too much chopping and changing, it's hard to know your place in set structures and develop combinations when they are constantly changing.

In attack we need more depth, if we're going to our favourite second man sweeping play, the second runner needs to be deep enough and force the defence to make decide - either to rush up and take the back runner, or hang off on the front runner. that's when that play works best and Lockyer and co can read what the defence is doing and play off that accordingly.

Attacking kicks, use them!!

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • lynx000
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • marw
  • BroncosMan
  • mrtij
  • Broncosgirl
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Xzei
  • Jazza
  • Bronx48
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.