Lillyman set to quit Cowboys

Meat77 said:
The Rock said:
Lillyman is the second most over-rated forward after Carl Webb.

Massive call...names like Ryles spring to mind

What an absoulte joke of a comment. Can everyone please stop repeating something they read in the Courier Mail 3 years ago?

Go watch Ryles play a game and completely carry the Dragons around the field.

He is leading metres gained in the comp this season, the only forward in the top 6. Also first in hit ups made and 4th in all runs taken. Top 20 in terms of tackles also. Add to this the fact that he is averaging 2 offloads a game, less than 2 missed tackles and less than 1 error.

Overrated? You have got to be fuking kidding.

Ryles is also capable of being the downfall of the dragons in any given game. Granted this year he has been better than he has been for a loooong time, but he was continually getting selected for NSW and Australia when he was playing like absolute rubbish and people were talking about him as though he was the best forward the world had ever seen. Seriously, the wraps he was getting a couple of years ago were way beyond what he was deserving of. And I know dragons fans who think the same.

First things first, I don't read the Courier Mail - I'm in Sydney for starters (and I don't read the Telegraph all that often either).

I watch plenty of games every weekend, including most Dragons games this year and years past. While I like stats in cricket, I find that stats in League can be terribly misleading a lot of the time.

When was the last time Jason Ryles threatened to break the line with a run? 2001? So he's a leading metre maker? Easy enough when he's pretty much the only prop in the Dragons side.

The guy is a powderpuff who does naught except give away ridiculous penalties every game and drops the ball in crucial situations.

Ask your average Dragons fan what they think of him and I bet they don't start spouting stats at you.

Meat77 said:
First things first, I don't read the Courier Mail - I'm in Sydney for starters (and I don't read the Telegraph all that often either).

I watch plenty of games every weekend, including most Dragons games this year and years past. While I like stats in cricket, I find that stats in League can be terribly misleading a lot of the time.

When was the last time Jason Ryles threatened to break the line with a run? 2001? So he's a leading metre maker? Easy enough when he's pretty much the only prop in the Dragons side.

The guy is a powderpuff who does naught except give away ridiculous penalties every game and drops the ball in crucial situations.

Ask your average Dragons fan what they think of him and I bet they don't start spouting stats at you.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Just think its a little ridiculous that he is labelled the most overrated forward in the game when he is not picked for any rep side and does more work than any other forward in the competition.

I agree with you Robbie, everytime I watch the Dragons he seems to be the one shinning light in the forwards. He seems to have fallen into the same catergory as Anasta, no matter what they do people call them overrated.
Meat77 said:

Petro doesn't threaten to break the line either, there props FFS.

At least Petero runs full pelt at the line every time he hits it up. Ryles deadset walks it up.

The only guy in the Dragons side that puts in week in and week out is Ben Hornby

Meat77 said:
At least Petero runs full pelt at the line every time he hits it up. Ryles deadset walks it up.

The only guy in the Dragons side that puts in week in and week out is Ben Hornby

If he walks forward, doesn't try hard and is terribly overrated despite not making a rep side, how is he leading metres gained for the comp? You still have to earn those metres, its not like he's making them off kick returns.

Meat77 said:
As I said, I don't take much notice of the stats.

So you watch him make more metres than any other footballer and conclude to yourself that he is the most overrated forward in the game?

The metres made are a good guide for props. They're always hard-earned. it's no co-incidence that Steve Price is always a leading metre gainer.They sure as hell tell you how hard your props are working over the stretch. One game in isolation is not a guide but consistently making metres is the marker.

I watch him act like a cat, give away stupid penalties and constantly put his teammates under pressure. If he makes the most metres of any forward (bearing in mind that these stats become massively distorted when one forward is favoured in any particular team to do the most work, as opposed to a team such as the Roosters where the workload would be shared much more evenly) then good luck to him. For mine his negatives far outweigh his positives.

Unread

Active Now

• Canga
  • Cavalo
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.