Lions and Broncos both to have new coaches in 2009

Best of luck to Leigh Matthews. I'm not a big fan of AFL, but he has done so much for the sport in Qld and in turning the Lions from a complete joke into a success. I met him a few times through work over the years and he seems like a really great bloke. The Brisbane sporting world sure is going to be a different place next year without these 2 coaching legends.

Yes Flutterby the media will have a field day next year with 2 inexperienced coaches that they will be testing out at every opportunity no doubt, moreso after years of getting the short shaft from Matthews and WB in particular.

Congratulations to Leigh for what he has done to the Lions and AFL in Qld, I doubt we have seen the back of him and expect he will show up in Melbourne coaching before to long.

As for the next coach, Voss would seem the obvious but for mine he's not ready, Craig Lambert would be the one I would go with and if he doesn't succeed then Voss after a few years apprenticeship can be bought in. Good news for the club re Jonathon Brown re-signing for 4 years.

Agree about Voss not being ready. Didn't he say no to the Gold Coast job because he thought he should serve an apprenticeship as an assistant somewhere first? Would seem strange he now wants to be Head Coach at the Lions.

I am also seeing a worrying trend with Voss - first he was all gung-ho and doing a bunch of promotion linking him to the Gold Coast (though the never actually signed), then he jumped from there to go to West Coast and now before he has even done anything with them he is wanting to jump ship again and go back to the Lions. I have always respected Voss and thought he seemed like a pretty decent guy, but this recent jumping all over the shop in terms of where he is going to coach doesn't bode well IMO.

I'm also not a fan of a former player (esp a one-club player) going straight into a coaching role with the club they played for - I think it's better they go away and get some experience in another 'system' and then come back if they really want to be at that club.

I'd be happy if Voss got the job. I agree with you Flutterby in the way that he has no other experience anywhere else. But on the other hand, he has his heart and soul with Brisbane, knows the game inside and out and is an inspiration to the players. Not saying that itself would make him a good coach though.

One of my worries is that he may be too close to some of the players. Even though I don't think there are very many (if any) still there that he actually played with, he has still been around the club a lot ever since he retired - they need to respect him as a coach, not a mate/hero and he has to be sure he's going to be able to make the tough decisions when required without the mateship getting in the way.

Voss's jumping around all over the shop merely suggests to me he had no idea what he really wanted to do.

Flutterby said:
One of my worries is that he may be too close to some of the players. Even though I don't think there are very many (if any) still there that he actually played with, he has still been around the club a lot ever since he retired - they need to respect him as a coach, not a mate/hero and he has to be sure he's going to be able to make the tough decisions when required without the mateship getting in the way.

I'm not talking about mateship - what I meant was he will be able inspire a team through his actions and experience and the young boys these days look up to him as a player. They certainly won't forget the magical 3 years where Voss was God of AFL and he can use personal experiences as motivation. He is a good talker.

Yes but inspirational players also come with an aura of the younger players looking up to them more as heros and they don't necessarily make good coaches (Wally Lewis anyone?). Whatever he ends up doing I hope Vossy is successful, as I've said I think he seems like a pretty good bloke. And ultimately I don't really care what the Lions end up doing as far as a coach goes - how they fare in the AFL competition is of little to no consequence to me.

Yeah fair enough. And we can't tell if he is going to be sucessful or not until/if it ever happens anyway.

You mean after persevering with him for 4 or 5 years they'll sack him, and then he'll suddenly produce results in his final weeks? :P

^^ Lol.... but seriously - that is an insult to Vossy ;)

It will come down to who he surrounds himself with moreso than the playing group. He needs to NOT surround himself with mates on the coaching staff as I see that as more of an issue than having played with a few of the team i.e. Black, Brown, Power, Notting, Copeland. His first job may very weel be cutting the likes of Notting and Copeland, and Matthews will still be around to give guidance with the season review via recommendations.

As for him jumping around, Coast wouldn't offer him a long-term deal like he had wanted, Weagles no problems Leigh leaving wasn't on the agenda then so he was going to get some experience. As for experience well his few years in the media will help as he has been analysising games for TV as the games is on so whilst not that same pressures gives him a leg up.

But going back his off-field team is the important one, for mine he can't have the Leppitsch's and Hart's and Lambert's as assistants, that is where the new blood is needed IMHO.

mrslong said:
Michael Voss = Nathan Brown of the AFL

Brown will never be in Vossy's league what did Brown do on the field?? Vossy will be a success although I think it is too early for him.

LOL! Is he the shortest lived assistant coach in AFL history?

Coxy said:
LOL! Is he the shortest lived assistant coach in AFL history?

The answer is probably no as he hadn't even started yet so officially wasn't an assistant yet [icon_razz1

True. Though I wonder what the list is of people who have accepted then been released from a coaching job prior to actually doing a day's work there? :P

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Mr Fourex
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • phoenix
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • theshed
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.