Locky has two Immortals to thank for his possible inclusion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Darren lockyer 17a5v76jz7m0g170x79uphvu8h

Darren Lockyer is on the verge of becoming an Immortal, and he credits much of his success to two blokes already in the elite club

June 20, 2018

DARREN Lockyer is one of 10 champions in the running to be inducted as the ninth Immortal — the greatest honour in rugby league.

He’s been shortlisted alongside revered names such as Mal Meninga, Norm Provan and Ken Irvine, with the unveiling set for August.

While talking to NRL360 about how humbling it is for him to be one of the contenders, Lockyer also revealed that a current Immortal inspired his illustrious career.

“I played with Joey [Johns] and against Joey, I never played against or with Wally [Lewis], but Wally was my childhood hero as a kid,” Lockyer said.

“And I talk about fond memories playing for Australia but some of my fondest memories as a kid was getting up early in the morning at 4 o’clock to watch the Kangaroos play against Great Britain, and whether it was Wally playing for Queensland or Wally playing for his country he was inspirational.

“And in my eyes, and I think in a lot of peoples eyes, he’s always going to be an Immortal.”

Once Lockyer established himself in grade, the competition with another current Immortal in Johns pushed him to greater heights.

“And for Joey he was the best I ever played with or against,” he said.

“His career was probably cut short due to injury, he suffered some knee injuries, but when he was on, Andrew Johns, there was daylight second.”

What makes Lockyer’s decorated career all the more incredible is that he played fullback for much of his first nine seasons before being asked to switch to five-eighth from 2004.

Unsurprisingly for a player knocking on the door of the most exclusive club in the game, Lockyer said it only took him “four to six weeks” to adjust to the playmaking role.

“When Wayne [Bennett] decided to start me at fullback in ‘97 I thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought at that time when I still had my athleticism it was such an enjoyable position to play because you got to roam and do what you want and be where you want,” he recalled.

“And then in 2004 Wayne and myself, we had a conversation about what the Broncos needed at the time and... they needed someone to take over the reins, so to speak, from Kevvy [Walters] and Alf [Langer] who’d retired a few years earlier.

“So it was the right decision to be made for the Broncos and then the adjustment to go there really took four to six weeks.

“Overall it was just trying to get my head around having to be in the frontline and get through a lot of defence.

“And that was always something that was a challenge for me was making sure my defence was up to scratch every week but as I got older and the legs got a bit wearier five-eighth for me was the ideal position.”

The shortlist also includes: Mal Meninga, Ron Coote, Dally Messenger, Ken Irvine, Dave Brown, Frank Burge, Brian Bevan, Norm Provan and Duncan Hall.

Source: Fox Sports

He won't get in. NSWRL couldn't think of a better **** you to the Broncos.

I thought it was more than just 4-6 weeks before he really adjusted to 5/8.

I thought it was more than just 4-6 weeks before he really adjusted to 5/8.

He did carve up playing there for Australia though, pretty quickly. Set the mold for the modern 5/8 imo.

I'm worried that if he doesn't get in now, like he deserves to, they'll overlook him for Smith and JT.

I'm worried that if he doesn't get in now, like he deserves to, they'll overlook him for Smith and JT.
There is that risk, but I think they are using this vote to include the players pre-war like Dally M, etc. to close the chapter on that period.

There are also set criteria now like having to be retired for 5 years, which discounts Smith and JT until 2023 or so.

I thought they were also going to have it that you had to already be in the hall of fame, but I don't believe Lockyer is in there yet being a recent retiree.

I fully expect Dally M to get in this time round, which only leaves 1 other recipient. They may look to go another old timer like Brown, Coote or Provan just to correct perceived indescretions from the past.

Looking at the list of candidates there is a very nostalgic feel about the top 10 with only Mal and Lockyer from the "recent" era of players.

Lockyer will definitely get in there being the most capped Kangaroo ever, winning the golden boot in 2 different positions and only recently being the record professional games holder. Not to mention the 4 premierships, world cups, etc.

I think the issue is they pulled the trigger far far too early on Johns.

It needs to be now for Locky, otherwise it lets the ***** in the media get away with leaving him out all together. If they don't put him in now it will just move to Thurston, Smith, Slater, Inglis etc. etc.

This will be a controversial view, but I don't hold the same regard for the Dave Brown's etc. of this process. They are a completely different generation. While they are great achievements and I am not trying to diminish them we are talking about when it was part-time so I don't feel it is fair to compare them with the professional generation.

What I think they should do is go back to those previous generations and whoever is deemed worthy put them in but that is the last time the previous generations can be eligible. Then put in Locky because **** everyone else.

Lockyer or Meninga will be one and an old timer the other, they won’t do two old timers, they will want a ‘modern’ player they can market.

There is that risk, but I think they are using this vote to include the players pre-war like Dally M, etc. to close the chapter on that period.

There are also set criteria now like having to be retired for 5 years, which discounts Smith and JT until 2023 or so.

I thought they were also going to have it that you had to already be in the hall of fame, but I don't believe Lockyer is in there yet being a recent retiree.

I fully expect Dally M to get in this time round, which only leaves 1 other recipient. They may look to go another old timer like Brown, Coote or Provan just to correct perceived indescretions from the past.

Looking at the list of candidates there is a very nostalgic feel about the top 10 with only Mal and Lockyer from the "recent" era of players.

Lockyer will definitely get in there being the most capped Kangaroo ever, winning the golden boot in 2 different positions and only recently being the record professional games holder. Not to mention the 4 premierships, world cups, etc.

I think Locky is in the hall of fame.

They used to have a policy of not looking backwards, so they went with Joey over Mal. But I guess since the NRL owns the concept now it's up for grabs.

As part of this current process, the top 100 players as recognised in the centenary celebrations were automatically added to the Hall of Fame. This included Locky.

Or they pulled the trigger on him at all.
This prick would have fitted in perfectly at the Sharks.

Lockyer deserves it, what a player GOAT IMHO
I think Maninga will get one spot (just to shut him up)
Provan will probably get the other spot and probably deserves it, cant dispute his record.

Should Lockyer be an immortal? I can't argue against that but I can't believe Alfie isn't an immortal already, I really can't. He's the greatest number 7 I've ever seen.

Should Lockyer be an immortal? I can't argue against that but I can't believe Alfie isn't an immortal already, I really can't. He's the greatest number 7 I've ever seen.

Locky's record speaks for itself

The only player to be named best in the world in 2 different positions, just as 1 example

NOT comparing Locky should be in at the expense of Alfie, I think they both should make it

It’ll be Meninga and Provan this time. Locky and another next time

It will be Dally Messenger and Norm Provan.

Does Norm Provan really deserve to be an Immortal? He was what, the 5th best player (at best) on his own team? On NRL 360, amongst all of the superlatives they were using for the other candidates, Provan was described with "you knew what you were going to get each week". Sounds a bit underwhelming considering the company.

His record is obviously outstanding, but if we're going to induct him because he happened to play on a team with 4 other Immortals, we may as well induct Ryan Hoffman while we're there.

Last edited:
Messenger & Coote imo.

Then next time around go with Meninga & Lockyer.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Jazza
  • Xarr
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncs1459
  • Astro
  • Financeguy
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.