NEWS Lockyer: BHQ BTFO on Milford

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Darren Lockyer is back at it again in the Courier Mail, this time responding to the near-unanimous calls for Milford to be stood down. He identifies himself as one of the obstacles to removing Milford from the position that is making a mockery of the Broncos attack:

He doesn't believe dropping him is the
"singular answer to suddenly curing Brisbane’s ills" and although citing "Milford’s seeming reluctance to run the ball" that the bigger issue is the forwards not being able to "win the tackle, win the ruck and, subsequently, win field position for their playmakers."

B7dc6e80fc0824aa7f34d32a182d6795

9 out 10 BHQ members are wrong

He points out that the stats say Brisbane has gained 5584 metres compared to their opposition’s 8532, they have a problem with discipline is a problem and are
"being dominated in midfield." He says the six again rule, while making the game faster, suits "flat, direct runners that can easily get over the advantage line once you’ve created some momentum." Brisbane's forwards, he says, "look to be playing too laterally". He says Haas is a "machine in terms of aerobic fitness but without Lodge, Alex Glenn and Tevita Pangai Jr in the opening weeks, he has had to shoulder an enormous workload and the signs of fatigue are showing. Maybe reducing Payne’s minutes even further can ease the strain on him and freshen him up to produce some of his stronger bursts."

Jobs

Then for the elephant in the room, Milford: "most talented player down on confidence and second-guessing himself. At training, you don’t see signs that Anthony is not committed to the cause. If his preparation wasn’t adequate, then there would be an argument to demote him, but Milford can only be as good as the platform his forwards provide. I’ve been in some dark holes. I’ve had my confidence battered and my belief tested. Milford can’t feel sorry for himself. The criticism will always be there in this arena, so the best response from Milford is to block out the noise, put his head down and address the deficiencies in his game and respond with actions."

He assures us Milford know what he has to improve, and dismisses calls for Dearden to replace him because he hasn't been playing any lower grade football so would take time to "find his feet." Then goes on with that "good honest conversation" routine asking each other ‘why are we here’ ‘how do we fix it? He doesn't blame the change in rules because it's a level playing field for all teams.

73b544a132a71bd8a031e89e740da40a

The future isn't now

He says Brisbane doesn't have "five or six stars waiting in the wings in reserve grade. They have to dig themselves out of the hole and I know the talent is there when their confidence matches their ability. But only the current group can find the answers. There is no magic fix."

McHunt

Last edited:
I find the ‘no lower grades footy’ issue quite humourous. The entire NRL didn’t have ANY football, lower or higher for 9 weeks, yet they’ve come back and played football...

Supercoach’s grand plan is to ‘get some footy into them’ but not Dearden apparently, because he prefers carrying an outside back on the bench, instead of a potential superstar halfback?

Okay...

I find the ‘no lower grades footy’ issue quite humourous. The entire NRL didn’t have ANY football, lower or higher for 9 weeks, yet they’ve come back and played football...

Supercoach’s grand plan is to ‘get some footy into them’ but not Dearden apparently, because he prefers carrying an outside back on the bench, instead of a potential superstar halfback?

Okay...
Yep, it's a shit excuse. At least put him on the bench.

Yep, it's a shit excuse. At least put him on the bench.

Which is the only place for him, at the expense of Paix. Poor Paix. Has he done that much wrong? But then, choosing between 2 younger talented players will always be hard. As I see it though, Dearden offers more than Paix. I'd have him on the bench

Last edited:
Darren Lockyer is back at it again in the Courier Mail, this time responding to the near-unanimous calls for Milford to be stood down.
He assures us Milford know what he has to improve, and dismisses calls for Dearden to replace him because he hasn't been playing any lower grade football so would take time to "
find his feet."

McHunt
This is ridiculous what happens if Milford breaks leg do they just say to Dearden "sorry there is a place for you now but we can't use you because you haven't played any footy recently"
If they aren't careful this guy will walk away from us.

This is ridiculous what happens if Milford breaks leg do they just say to Dearden "sorry there is a place for you now but we can't use you because you haven't played any footy recently"
If they aren't careful this guy will walk away from us.
The sooner we throw Dearden into the deep end, the better. If he's not the next Alfie, we might be better off flicking him too. We already have a bunch of adequate halves - Turpin, Paix, Croft, Luke, SOS - but we desperately need a superstar game manager. That was supposed to be Milford, but somehow Seibold decided we didn't need a game manager, just a couple of blokes to pass the ball, and a 5/8th left to play his "natural game." And that's without talking about the fullback, who's also supposed to be barking directions.

Well, this is what you get when you have no game manager. A fucking shambles.

Last edited:
Which is the only place for him, at the expense of Paix. Poor Paix. Has he done that much wrong? But then, choosing between 2 younger talented players will always be hard. As I see it though, Dearden offers more than Paix. I'd have him on the bench

Which demonstrates the ridiculousness of this argument. Paix didn’t have any lower grades footy at all in him, nor NRL for that matter, which at least Dearden does...

But this isn’t an ‘either / or’ situation. It’s called rotating players. Give Paix some time, give Dearden some time. Slowly give them more and more until they are up to speed...

But this extremely advanced concept appears beyond Seibold’s grasp.

Works for the Roosters. They don't bother waiting, they throw in one half after the other straight into the thick of it and flick them if they can't cut it and buy another one.
I’m sure we’ll be seeing Walker in there against a lesser club soon enough, just to further your point.

Last edited:
So in summary, nothing is going to change.

I just don't get the whole no lower grade absolute garbage that this club keeps going on with.
2 weeks ago, tell me how many previous NRL games Paix had? Niu had?
Coates and Farnworth both had less games in NRL last year then Dearden, yet out of all of those Dearden is the one not ready? wtf is going on here - the club is an absolute joke, they contradict themselves straight away and all across the park.
Maybe Dearden has said he is looking at his options outside this squad and the club is just now not playing him - who knows.

Titans 13+ and I kinda hope it happens, because these overpaid flops (ie Milford and Boyd) won't go anywhere unless we keep getting flogged.

Okay...

Paul Mcgregors idea of playing a nines game before the main game would help with the issue of no lower grades footy.

I cant blame dearden if he elects to go to another team, particularly a top tier team. I dont believe any player will reach their peak under seibold's instruction.

The lack of lower grades has certainly affected the Broncos more than any other club. They've got the youngest roster in the competition and Seibold was planning on easing his younger players like Dearden, Coates, Paix, Niu, Bullemor etc. through the system.

They're at a completely different place than the Eels who went through that two years ago, or the Roosters who did that four years ago.

The lack of lower grades has certainly affected the Broncos more than any other club. They've got the youngest roster in the competition and Seibold was planning on easing his younger players like Dearden, Coates, Paix, Niu, Bullemor etc. through the system.

They're at a completely different place than the Eels who went through that two years ago, or the Roosters who did that four years ago.
Eels 2018? I thought they were a pretty experienced squad who just failed to deliver with the comeback of Hayne a failure. From memory they had Jennings, Takairangi, Hayne, Norman, Mannah, King, Ma’u, Beau Scott, Kenny Edwards, David Gower, Hoffman and Tony Williams. Even their younger players at the time like Moses and Gutherson had a lot more first grade experience than most of our guys.

Not sure i see the Eels squad of 2 years ago similar to ours in terms of experience unless i missed your point? Without checking i would think they were one of the more experienced squads...

Not sure i see the Eels squad of 2 years ago similar to ours in terms of experience unless i missed your point? Without checking i would think they were one of the more experienced squads...

I wasn't comparing them directly to the Broncos, I was just making the point that just because these two teams are handling things better now doesn't mean they didn't have to go through their own issues in recent times.

They had different issues to the Broncos, but they were issues all the same.

I wasn't comparing them directly to the Broncos, I was just making the point that just because these two teams are handling things better now doesn't mean they didn't have to go through their own issues in recent times.

They had different issues to the Broncos, but they were issues all the same.
Fair enough then. I guess you could name a lot of clubs that have had issues at one stage and come out the other side...

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Browny
  • leon.bott
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Johnny92
  • HarryAllan7
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • davidp
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.