NEWS Lockyer: BHQ BTFO on Milford

Fair enough then. I guess you could name a lot of clubs that have had issues at one stage and come out the other side...

If we're talking about the Eels specifically, they were still a very young team in terms of combinations. Moses had just completed his first pre-season with the club, Gutho was coming back from a knee reconstruction and hadn't secured his place as fullback and Mahoney was still coming through the grades at that stage. They had the right core, they just needed time to work through the kinks and hire the personnel to fill the roles.

Arthur has a very similar approach to coaching as Craig Bellamy where he has an ideal vision of his team and will cast players in his role. He lost Junior Paulo, so he settled on Siosaia Vave at a cut-rate deal. He loves a back that can work it out from inside his own half, he threw bags of money at Ferguson, but before then had to settle on Auva'a and G. Jennings.

Arthur had the structure in place, he just had to open the cheque book and bring in the players that fit his vision.

It's been far from smooth sailing, they suffered some terrible losses in 2019 but the combinations have improved and in this Covid interupted season, the teams with the most familiarity with one another have prospered.

If we're talking about the Eels specifically, they were still a very young team in terms of combinations. Moses had just completed his first pre-season with the club, Gutho was coming back from a knee reconstruction and hadn't secured his place as fullback and Mahoney was still coming through the grades at that stage. They had the right core, they just needed time to work through the kinks and hire the personnel to fill the roles.

Arthur has a very similar approach to coaching as Craig Bellamy where he has an ideal vision of his team and will cast players in his role. He lost Junior Paulo, so he settled on Siosaia Vave at a cut-rate deal. He loves a back that can work it out from inside his own half, he threw bags of money at Ferguson, but before then had to settle on Auva'a and G. Jennings.

Arthur had the structure in place, he just had to open the cheque book and bring in the players that fit his vision.

It's been far from smooth sailing, they suffered some terrible losses in 2019 but the combinations have improved and in this Covid interupted season, the teams with the most familiarity with one another have prospered.
Yep, i know all that, but not a similar squad to our current one which i thought you were making the compare which you already replied you werent. A lot more experience in that Eels 2018 squad than ours which i think we both are in heated agreement over.

Many tales to bore the forum with of other clubs who have gone from stuggling to competitive (Eels not even the best example as still havent won against the benchmark clubs when it has counted), lets hope our similar journey is a quick one.

Last edited:
The lack of lower grades has certainly affected the Broncos more than any other club. They've got the youngest roster in the competition and Seibold was planning on easing his younger players like Dearden, Coates, Paix, Niu, Bullemor etc. through the system.

They're at a completely different place than the Eels who went through that two years ago, or the Roosters who did that four years ago.

So you rotate players through the main team to ensure they are not being thrown into the deep end when they are needed.

Seibold could have given minutes to Dearden in virtually any game this year but has chosen not to. He chose to give it to wingers instead, as if that is the real crucial part of the modern game in which we are lacking...

And some people wonder why we think his judgement is somewhat suspect...

So you rotate players through the main team to ensure they are not being thrown into the deep end when they are needed.

Seibold could have given minutes to Dearden in virtually any game this year but has chosen not to. He chose to give it to wingers instead, as if that is the real crucial part of the modern game in which we are lacking...

And some people wonder why we think his judgement is somewhat suspect...

I'm sure that's the way it's going to happen, but it's still far from ideal for this squad. They need 80 in the roles they've been brought in, not come in and be asked to fill in somewhere.

It's easier to manage when you've got an outside back who can cover the entire backline in case somebody gets injured.

I'm sure that's the way it's going to happen, but it's still far from ideal for this squad. They need 80 in the roles they've been brought in, not come in and be asked to fill in somewhere.

It's easier to manage when you've got an outside back who can cover the entire backline in case somebody gets injured.

It’s not that unusual either. I’m not sure what it is about this squad that needs such protections? Most players even young halves are introduced slowly into A Grade, not just chucked straight into the deep end.

It’s not that unusual either. I’m not sure what it is about this squad that needs such protections? Most players even young halves are introduced slowly into A Grade, not just chucked straight into the deep end.

It's not that unusual, but usually younger players come through reserve grade and put some runs on the board before they replace marquee talent. All Lockyer is saying is that if Dearden was brought into the team he'd have to be shown some patience, it wouldn't be a magical fix. I don't think a 30 minute stint at hooker when the Roosters are running roughshod would do him the world of good just quietly.

At least reserve grade would at least give the coaching staff and the players some gauge and give some of these out of form players somewhere to find their feet. Again, I can't think of any side this year that's gone in complete rebuild mode as the Broncos.

However, it's just the company line. Dearden will be there, Brisbane will play better in the interim because it can't get much worse and the club will continue to lower expectations since they know they're in trouble and they need to mitigate as much damage as possible.

All Lockyer is saying is that if Dearden was brought into the team he'd have to be shown some patience, it wouldn't be a magical fix. I don't think a 30 minute stint at hooker when the Roosters are running roughshod would do him the world of good just quietly.
Ironic comment considering he played 80 minutes against the Roosters in his debut last year in a win that felt like it turned our season around (until Macca returned, and other injuries and suspensions intervened).

Maybe it's what we need.

Last edited:

Great post.

Here's an article about the Eels in today's Sydney Morning Herald

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...t-could-be-over-at-parra-20200616-p5533d.html

Speaking of the Eels, check out the mess they made of the Roosters' right side defence in this try last night. Shades of Darius:

Impressive.

It also shows what happens when the ball is passed more than once, when the defensive line is fragmented, when a key position in the defensive line moves out of the line too early, when a crucial tackle is missed and when your opposing winger is a monster who actually wants to score, unlike Oates's bombed sitter the other night.

but Tedesco put his body on the line?
Yep, and took him out. Concussed, I think. Pretty good match. Worth watching at least the highlights. Pretty big gap between these teams and us right now:

Move Milford on and bring in either Kyle Laybutt or Lachlan Lam

Ironic comment considering he played 80 minutes against the Roosters in his debut last year in a win that felt like it turned our season around (until Macca returned, and other injuries and suspensions intervened).

Maybe it's what we need.

That was his third game.

His debut was a 32 point loss to Souths.

I thought he showed some glimpses but he needed to get more involved. I wasn't overly impressed with his trial form either and he had a mixed bag for Souths Logan in their embarrassing loss to the Hunters.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Robboi_321
  • Brocko
  • Tmac
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bish
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.