Lockyer: Change attitude or face early exit

We have experience, but we dont have leaders. In the past we have had them in abundance, we just dont have it now. Boyd and Glenn are the only real leaders we have imo, but i'm not convinced they are the type of leaders we need.
I think you're right. It seems that all of a sudden this team is devoid of a culture and they no longer stand for anything.

Back in the day we were a highlights reel, around the Tallis days we were a big fearsome forward pack that rolled teams, even recently we turned into a defensive wall with Lockyer there grinding out games

The 2008 class has come through under much hype initially, but what will their legacy be??

Senior players transfer the culture and it's like it's been lost between the older generation, 2008 class and today's generation.

Think about the past leadership Lockyer, Petero, Thorn, Carroll, Berrigan, Tate, Webke, etc. Hodges and Parker carried it through but I'd say Thaiday may have dropped the ball just with his larrakin attitude.

Dare I say it but the drop in the culture may have coincided with the Henjack/Hook era and now we have no one there to teach the next generation.

May need a Thorn style coach in there to recreate that culture and put some steel back into the team.

Why do people seem to think that TPJ will make a good captain? I've seen it mentioned a number of times.......I just can't picture it at this point.

Nope. Love the guy but even Bennett had to speak out and pull him into line publicly...

Would probably completely lose his head in that role.

We have experience, but we dont have leaders. In the past we have had them in abundance, we just dont have it now. Boyd and Glenn are the only real leaders we have imo, but i'm not convinced they are the type of leaders we need.

Yep. Boyd is on his last legs (literally) and Glenn whilst solid is not being picked as a starting player. What sort of look is it to have your captain on the bench?

Yep. Boyd is on his last legs (literally) and Glenn whilst solid is not being picked as a starting player. What sort of look is it to have your captain on the bench?

Seemed to work fine for Kurt Gidley in Origin? Lol

When in the history of sport has this ever actually happened?

Wally at 21 was made Queensland captain.
Graham Smith was South African cricket captain at 22.

Judging by this, I'd be throwing 7 figures at Locky to take over as coach with Bennett as head of football. I know he has made it clear he doesn't want to in the past but it seems to me he has an eye for the real problems with this team and the credibility amongst the playing group to get it sorted.

Wally at 21 was made Queensland captain.
Graham Smith was South African cricket captain at 22.
Were they playing shit and then became better because of the captaincy or did they just gradually get better?

Were they playing shit and then became better because of the captaincy or did they just gradually get better?

Well Smith had only played eight Tests so hard to really tell but he went on and played 117 so worked out pretty well.

Wally had already played one Origin at lock and two games for Qld in 81 at lock and 6, one at half in 80 and one of the bench in 79 so it was hardly settled.

But no wouldn't ever say shit.

f2749d7b01e148381fe4d271fdbe4709

Poor old Ben Ikin finding it near impossible to hide his erection when discussing the drama around the Broncos. Talk about a pig in shit.

Judging by this, I'd be throwing 7 figures at Locky to take over as coach with Bennett as head of football. I know he has made it clear he doesn't want to in the past but it seems to me he has an eye for the real problems with this team and the credibility amongst the playing group to get it sorted.

Doubt locky wants to lose his hair again so soon but he would be so valuable to have around for tactics at least. I'd like to see hodges at training too to wind up the young "superstars" to keep their egos in check.

It was interesting to hear Isaako talk yesterday. I am surprised more people/media haven't picked up- or I haven't seen it.

"When we go out there and things don't go our way a lot of players panic and being so young the boys look towards the older playing group to step up."

"That's where as a team we need to buy in and work together."

Seems obvious, but the fact he's making the point is worrying.

When you had a guy like Lockyer as a captain, players would look up time because he was the definition of a leader. With even Hodges and Parker to a degree, players did not want to let them down because frankly you knew you were going to get your ass kicked. They walked the walk. With Boyd as leader and captain it is far from the case. While he WAS a capable player he lacking as a leader. If a player screw up, you might get him to raise his hands in frustration and worse still never sets an example on the field.

The classic question... Is it better to be feared or loved? In the case of Boyd and general leadership, the problem is you get neither.

I don’t know but from what I’ve seen I would’ve thought Gillett would be an ideal captain. Bit of an Inglis / Josh Jackson type with lead by example. Generally keeps a cool head and demands respect and a little fear. His media stuff may be a little like Inglis too but he’s a senior player, broncos lifer, gets fired up and puts big hits on to turn momentum and doesn’t take shit from anyone. The rest of the senior players having glaring problems that would translate poorly in captaincy. Boyd is just weird and he falls into dispair too easily when things go against us. You can see his head drop then the team drops closely after.

I don’t know but from what I’ve seen I would’ve thought Gillett would be an ideal captain. Bit of an Inglis / Josh Jackson type with lead by example. Generally keeps a cool head and demands respect and a little fear. His media stuff may be a little like Inglis too but he’s a senior player, broncos lifer, gets fired up and puts big hits on to turn momentum and doesn’t take shit from anyone. The rest of the senior players having glaring problems that would translate poorly in captaincy. Boyd is just weird and he falls into dispair too easily when things go against us. You can see his head drop then the team drops closely after.

Yeah, that sounds like our best option for next year.

The only other captaincy option is Gillett.

No one else is suitable.

The only other captaincy option is Gillett.

No one else is suitable.

I don’t see what it is that Gillett brings that make him suitable. He does an awful lot of dumb sh*t as well as obviously the good stuff.

Just because he is experienced doesn’t make him a good captain. If you’re good enough you are old enough. Look at RTS at the Warriors. He is club captain at 25...

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • marw
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.