Lockyer Surgery

I remember in one of the games in the world cup (in the 2nd half of the final I think) Lockyer put on a very brave shoulder charge that stopped a large Kiwi from scoring untouched, probably one of the best shoulder charges I've seen in a long time - it didn't knock the bloke on his bum, but it threw him off balance long enough for the cover defence to get there and prevent him from crossing. I agree with what Tee said as well. People remember the tackles that he misses, not the ones he makes.

The only thing that he struggles with is when he's defending on the fringe of a 2nd man play.

Let's also remember that the majority of players directed his way are backrowers who are usually good at breaking tackles or getting an offload away, when he's defending against halves and outside backs he's fine!

FCB BB AKA MB said:
I don't look at stats I just watch him fall off a lot of tackles.

Oh ok, so this is just based on your opinion and nothing at all factual!? Cool [icon_wink

FCB BB AKA MB said:
I meant he is strong for his size and that he is fairly well built nowadays.

Yeah, just as every other footballer is "well built". Just he is physically smaller than his peers, which makes me admire him even more.

I am sure there is some factual evidence out there, prove me wrong if you like. I couldn't be farked to look into it. Regardless I love Lockyer hope he recovers fully and rips 8 billion colours of shit out of any teams he plays against this year. I also hope Henjak has a new babysitter for him because Carroll made a huge difference to his game in attack but giving him that smaller workload.

Ghibli said:
I remember in one of the games in the world cup (in the 2nd half of the final I think) Lockyer put on a very brave shoulder charge that stopped a large Kiwi from scoring untouched, probably one of the best shoulder charges I've seen in a long time - it didn't knock the bloke on his bum, but it threw him off balance long enough for the cover defence to get there and prevent him from crossing. I agree with what Tee said as well. People remember the tackles that he misses, not the ones he makes.

The only thing that he struggles with is when he's defending on the fringe of a 2nd man play.

Let's also remember that the majority of players directed his way are backrowers who are usually good at breaking tackles or getting an offload away, when he's defending against halves and outside backs he's fine!

True all that mate. Like any smaller player he struggles when he's isolated against a big bloke with momentum.

But if you want to talk trainwreck defence...Benji Marshall.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
I am sure there is some factual evidence out there, prove me wrong if you like

I'm not going to prove you wrong as such, but trust me when i say there isn't 2 regualr NRL 5/8th's smaller than Lockyer.

He's only 83 kg's mate, he's listed a 84 everywhere but after the last return from injury in 08, he was only 83.

Lockyer is god, he shits all over chuck norris.

On the contrary, I think Lockyer's defense over the past 2 and a bit seasons has improved out of sight.

I remember when he first came into 5/8 in Origin, he was targeted and missed a number of tackles, but as he came into his own he was dumping blokes like Willie Mason on his arse, and NSW stopped trying to target him in defense.

As he comes to the backend of his career, missing a pre-season won't mean squat, he's that fit and that good a player he could miss all the trails and come in round 1 2009 and be pretty darn good.

Agree Jester. I'd only bother with playing Lockyer in a trial game if you wanted to work on some new combinations - eg new hooker, or new halfback etc. And only if Locky was totally fit.

There are some say that Darren Lockyer's poo is pure white, and has no stench whatsoever. He am are God!

uji said:
There are some say that Darren Lockyer's poo is pure white, and has no stench whatsoever. He am are God!

That's not actually true. Darren's mind and body are such precise, efficient tools that he produces no waste matter whatsoever, as his digestive system can convert any type of food into a set play.

Fair argument both sides imo.
I'd have to side with FCB BB AKA MB on this one though.
Bottom line imo is that he misses enough tackles for people to notice and talk about it, him being a god in every other part of his game is not the issue, it's pretty clear when a second rower or big centre is running a good line and he's got locky one on one close to the line, he's in a bit of trouble, not saying he misses all of them, but you're a liar if you're a Bronco and your heart doesn't skip a little whenever it happens.
More than anything I think he falls off a bit too easily so maybe its a technique thing, I couldn't tell you. I'm the first to say its improved in leaps and bounds since 2004.

lockyer47 said:
Fair argument both sides imo.
I'd have to side with FCB BB AKA MB on this one though.
Bottom line imo is that he misses enough tackles for people to notice and talk about it, him being a god in every other part of his game is not the issue, it's pretty clear when a second rower or big centre is running a good line and he's got locky one on one close to the line, he's in a bit of trouble, not saying he misses all of them, but you're a liar if you're a Bronco and your heart doesn't skip a little whenever it happens.
More than anything I think he falls off a bit too easily so maybe its a technique thing, I couldn't tell you. I'm the first to say its improved in leaps and bounds since 2004.

Great post! I think he doesn't have momentum into the tackle and thats why he falls off quite often. As you say though he is a god in all other facets of the game so if they find another minder like Carroll has been for him this year we would have a less tired genius.

Lagi Setu. He hits like an absolute sledge hammer. He should be Locky's minder.

I truly think we will have problems if someone (Setu would be a great choice) isn't given this job. Otherwise Lockyer will miss tackles and will get buggered thus blunting his attack.

Blind freddy can see it. In every team Locky has played in since moving to 5/8th he's struggled if said minder isn't there. Or if said minder is some knuckledragger like Paul Gallen.

Trainwreck defence as Coxy puts it, the kind of defence that REALLY puts you under pressure and not the kind that can be worked around is far worse then anything Lockyer has produced over a substantial period of his career (and not just a rep debut game), frankly having Lockyer in the defensive line isn't a problem IMO because his at a defensive level that is acceptable and can be improved with the addition of a minder and quite frankly his not the only playmaker in the history of the game let alone the Broncos to have a minder. As for the other area's of his game, actually they are the issue or at least part of it, even the best players have flaws in their game, Allan Langer had his defensively yet how many people would have traded him for a better defensive halfback during his time at the club?

as for the idea of Setu being his minder, not a bad idea there.

Unread

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Porthoz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Morkel
  • Turks85
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.