Lockyer - The commentator

Re: "Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

I don't think that's very fair Coxy. I don't see why Locky needs to suck up to anyone at the Broncos, he is a legend in his own right!

No, you're right, he doesn't need to suck up at all - so I can't understand why he says "move Barba to five-eighth? Sure, good move Broncos!" Surely anyone with 2 working eyes can see if you get what was the best fullback in the game in 2012 you play him at fullback, regardless of the sooking of the other guy.

In any column assessing the Broncos, what does he say? "Hook's the man for the job"...now ok, he doesn't have to come out and say "Hook is a joke and should be sacked" but he could still make it clear that Griffin is far from doing a good job and needs to turn things around.

As a commentator, Locky provides no benefit when it comes to the Broncos.

No, you're right, he doesn't need to suck up at all - so I can't understand why he says "move Barba to five-eighth? Sure, good move Broncos!" Surely anyone with 2 working eyes can see if you get what was the best fullback in the game in 2012 you play him at fullback, regardless of the sooking of the other guy.

In any column assessing the Broncos, what does he say? "Hook's the man for the job"...now ok, he doesn't have to come out and say "Hook is a joke and should be sacked" but he could still make it clear that Griffin is far from doing a good job and needs to turn things around.

I agree, but it's a bit hard for any former players to give any real insight into the current club.

they'll either be too recent to put the hard word on their mates, or they've been out for so long they don't really know anything about the current system.

You can't say he provides no benefit just because you disagree with him.
are you saying you don't think he believes what he is saying?

You can't say he provides no benefit just because you disagree with him.
are you saying you don't think he believes what he is saying?

That's exactly what I'm saying! He's trying his best to agree with what the Broncos are doing, but surely someone as good at reading the game as he is knows you don't shift your most dynamic new recruit into a position where he will struggle to maximise his strengths (broken field running).

I agree, but it's a bit hard for any former players to give any real insight into the current club.

Kind of my point. I don't think there's any point having recently retired players commenting on their old club. I take more interest in what Steve Renouf says, for example. He loves the club still (can tell from his tweets), but he's also not afraid to be critical. Why not, he has nothing to lose?

Just as it's pointless having columns from current players/coaches when the topic of their club comes up. And it's why I find it a bit awkward having current administrators/coaches as commentators (Gould, Johns etc) because their comments are always slanted.

I've said it before and just like you Coxy, I think Lockyer's opinion is worthless on anything about the Broncos, he'll never say what he truly thinks, only very nice things. I think Lockyer knows exactly what needs to happen but just wont say it in the media, for that I'm glad he's on the board where he has the chance to voice his opinion privately where it should have a direct impact on the running of the club.

I don't bother reading columns by any current or recently retired players. It's all just nice words.

Lockyer's Broncos opinions are weird to say the least. He always seems to stutter a lot when talking about the Broncos too, like he's really carefully choosing which words to use.

If he wants to seriously make it in the media, they should stop having him in Broncos matches.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Lozza
  • pennywisealfie
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.