Lockyer: The team that can stop Storm

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THERE is only one team that can seriously stop the Storm in their march towards the premiership. It is the Broncos.

When I look at the competition as it currently stands, I believe it’s a race between the Storm, the Broncos and the Roosters to be there at the end.

But I am also more confident of Brisbane beating Melbourne than I am of Sydney doing the job.

The Storm are clear favourites and deservedly so.

They have been the best team this year and also freshened up their Origin players, which will put them in good stead at the back end of the season.

Last year, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk played through the Origin series and it probably affected them during the finals.

They have learned from that experience.

And I believe that rest is going to be especially beneficial for Cronk.

No matter where I think everyone will finish, the one thing I know is that it will come down to the halfbacks of the game to determine their club’s fortunes.

Everyone knows what Cronk is going to give the Storm and how unstoppable he can be with his precision.

For a team like the Broncos to stop that, the key will be Ben Hunt.

It is his last season with Brisbane so I have no doubt he will want to do his best.

Hunt will need to step up and control the team’s attack if his side are to live up to expectations. He was good in that department on Thursday night.

I know the win was against the battling Bulldogs, but there were some really good signs there, in particular with their offloads, which created second phase play.

That is what you need to beat the Storm and that’s what Brisbane need more of.

Hunt is dangerous off the back of that.

This showdown between the halfbacks of the competition will become really evident over the coming weeks — or even as soon as Saturday.

While I don’t have the Titans making the top eight at the moment, Ash Taylor is the man who can deliver them their finals hopes and dreams.

He had a brilliant game the other night against the Sharks and he’s the key to their attack.

Obviously Jarryd Hayne brings some x-factor for them, but to close games out and win the tight moments, it will come down to Taylor.

Wearing the No. 7 is where a lot of the responsibility lies.

He will on Saturday meet Nathan Cleary and the Panthers in what I expect to be a great showdown between the two young halves, in a clash that is crucial in the race for the top eight.

Cleary was outstanding against the Warriors last week and in the big games, he is the man who can assert his authority on his team.

When I look at the other top eight contenders, the story remains the same.

The Sea Eagles, who I have coming in among the top four, have a quality halfback in Daly Cherry-Evans.

And while they have made big improvements this year, they’re still another 12 months away from being major premiership contenders, just based on the youth around Cherry-Evans.

With the Cowboys, Michael Morgan will do enough in the No. 7 jersey to get them to the finals.

But the big games and tight moments, that’s where I can see North Queensland struggling without Jonathan.

DARREN LOCKYER’S TOP EIGHT

1. Storm
2. Broncos
3. Roosters
4. Sea Eagles
5. Sharks
6. Eels
7. Cowboys
8. Panthers

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/3a56b3c2113a439f16da95d2170defae

Bit biased but sounds good

Lockyer always says the key is Ben hunt and hunt always stinks it up in the big games. And seriously we just got towelled up by the storm 2 weeks ago. Bless Lockyers bronco loyalty though.

Bellamy seems to think we will play them inthe GF

IMO the Sharks still have a better chance at the knocking off the Storm than the Broncs or Roosters. The Sharks trouble the Storm and beat them earlier in the year. Don't write the Sharkies off from being the first team to finish back to back since the 92-93 Broncos. They would seem the most unlikely to do so, but that's why i think they may pull it off. Hats off to them for remaining a major premiership threat after the loss of some key personnel last year.

At full strength I don't doubt that we can beat a full strength Storm side though. The Storm are beatable and I'd love it to be us to put them to the sword later in the year.

I disagree with Locky. I don't want hear about Hunt. I think Benji is the man we need...

The Sharks can beat the Storm because the refs let them both get away with murder in the ruck and weirdly penalise other teams for doing the same thing. The only other side that can win is the Cowboys but the loss of Scott and JT has to come back and bite them at some point.

Rabs was on U Bet sports breakfast on Wednesday and reckons we'll be there in the final. Not sure if him and locky are just preaching to their Brisbane audience but hey after the dick punches we've copped in the last couple of years - I'll take it

Sterlo didn't even have us in the eight at the start of the year! Mr Clean looking merkin.

That's the same 8 I've got...

Don't think we can beat the storm.

I thought that in 06 as well though

Sterlo didn't even have us in the eight at the start of the year! Mr Clean looking merkin.

Johns thought we'd be shit this year too after we lost a single "match that meant nothing" against Wigan..

We haven't won the premiership since Bennett has been back, but the Broncos are back in town as being a genuine chance at taking out the premiership.

The sooner we discard Hunt the better. I'd be happy to see him come on as an interchange and if he was consistent like Cronk I'd have him there every week but I just don't believe he can be that player. Marshall is like Jason Smith from years ago, he always had time to work his magic. Marshall's hands, brilliant. He is also now enjoying playing and it shows. He needs more time on the field.

What I wouldn't be able to do is figure out what to do with KNik. I'd probably send him to Qcup when Boyd returns but not as a demotion, just to play half back for the remainder of the year and hopefully get some finals there too.

The sooner we discard Hunt the better. I'd be happy to see him come on as an interchange and if he was consistent like Cronk I'd have him there every week but I just don't believe he can be that player. Marshall is like Jason Smith from years ago, he always had time to work his magic. Marshall's hands, brilliant. He is also now enjoying playing and it shows. He needs more time on the field.

What I wouldn't be able to do is figure out what to do with KNik. I'd probably send him to Qcup when Boyd returns but not as a demotion, just to play half back for the remainder of the year and hopefully get some finals there too.

But is Marshall doing well because he is coming on as an interchange? Doesn't have to over play his hand and can see where to attack from the bench as players tire out?

But is Marshall doing well because he is coming on as an interchange? Doesn't have to over play his hand and can see where to attack from the bench as players tire out?

I thought he's gone alright when starting for us.......against the Raiders in R16 for example.

Unfortunately for Locky I think he is wrong. For us to beat the Storm we have to play out of our skins and they have to be off. When you play the storm you have not be near perfect in every aspect.

We give away too many 7 tackle sets, have bad periods where we clock off and we don't score tries that we should be scoring. Those things will be the reason we lose against the storm.

On Benji, I think he's just enjoying not being the focus of attention.....not being expected to pull the miracle play. Meaning he doesn't try to overplay his hand.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.