NEWS Lodge commits to Broncos as mates join booze-ban

This is a legit question, what does everyone see in Lodge? What is it about him that you like? What do you think he brings to the Broncos?

I know most people are excited Lodge is re-signing and I just want to know why and the reasons.

He reminds me of an old school front rower like Petero. There’s no fancy shit in his game, he’s reliable, has a good attitude, good work ethic and knows what his job is

This is a legit question, what does everyone see in Lodge? What is it about him that you like? What do you think he brings to the Broncos?

I know most people are excited Lodge is re-signing and I just want to know why and the reasons.

He's got major potential, though I thought he'd be a bit further along than he is now - I thought he'd be pushing for a NSW spot this year. If he can increase his workrate further, improve his consistency and handling, he'd be one of the best props in the game.

I like his work ethic. He's a big boy with nice hands and footwork and is fairly consistent.

He takes a hit-up when nobody else wants to. He takes a hit-up at least once a set. He wasn't even scared of armed police with guns drawn. He threw shit at them while they had guns drawn and pointed at him. That shit takes insane balls. Not just any police either, it was trigger-happy American police.

Is anyone else.. concerned isn't the right word, because it's great news, but is anyone else weary of us keeping all of the forwards?

Haas - 2023
Carrigan - 2022
Gillett - 2022
Ofahengaue - 2022
Lodge - 2022
TPJ - 2022
Fifita - 2020
Su'A - 2020
Flegler - TBA
Glenn - TBA

I have no doubt we'll be re-signing Flegler long-term and extending Fifita first chance we get as well. That's 8 forwards extended long-term, not even factoring in Su'A or Glenn, who could very easily be retained as well.

All 8 of those forwards could make a case for being starters over the next 3 years, yet there's only 5 starting forward spots, I don't want to keep up this rotation crap where we're rotating players in and out of the starting line-up every week, I want a set forward pack that we start with every week, which 3 of these 8 players are going to be happy to spend 3+ years on the bench?

We’ll have Bullemor coming through soon too (19yo this year).

Glenn will be gone and depending on Gillo with his neck (which seems to be fine atm, give it a full season of playing and check in at pre-season), can open up spots for both Fifita and Su’A. He may even revert back to the bench and prolong his career where he can ball-play a little more if he is only playing 30 mins a game or something.

8. Haas
10. Lodge
11. Su’A (so long he’s the Su’A of 2017/18)
12. Gillett/Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Fifita/Gillett
15. Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Joe O

It’s doable, but someone might have to miss out every other week. Factor in injuries and form, and I don’t think it’ll be a big conundrum we’ll face too often.

We’re definitely short on outside backs though. Once these two and Flegler are sorted, that needs to be our focus for the next season or two

This is fucking awesome. Made my god damn week.

I love when stuff like this comes out. Warms my heart no end. But to me it screams that the club knows exactly what the ‘newspapers say’ no matter what denials happen.

So they orchestrate a flat out denial such as this.

It’s an interesting way of doing business. Let the journos speak / write their rubbish and just end it stone cold, when the time is right.

(Assuming they actually sign and this is correct...)

Is anyone else.. concerned isn't the right word, because it's great news, but is anyone else weary of us keeping all of the forwards?

Haas - 2023
Carrigan - 2022
Gillett - 2022
Ofahengaue - 2022
Lodge - 2022
TPJ - 2022
Fifita - 2020
Su'A - 2020
Flegler - TBA
Glenn - TBA

I have no doubt we'll be re-signing Flegler long-term and extending Fifita first chance we get as well. That's 8 forwards extended long-term, not even factoring in Su'A or Glenn, who could very easily be retained as well.

All 8 of those forwards could make a case for being starters over the next 3 years, yet there's only 5 starting forward spots, I don't want to keep up this rotation crap where we're rotating players in and out of the starting line-up every week, I want a set forward pack that we start with every week, which 3 of these 8 players are going to be happy to spend 3+ years on the bench?

Doesn’t matter which club you are, you have 5 forwards on the pitch at the start of the game, typically 3 on the bench and you need depth cover for injuries / rep football.

Signing or re-signing 10 or more forwards isn’t a ‘worry’ it’s a necessity. Of those 10, Glenn and Gillett do not have long careers relatively speaking simply because of their age. With Glenn specifically I’ll be surprised if he is with us beyond this year. He may because he is apparently cheap, but I suspect more than likely he’ll move on.

Wonder if they asked Jimmy to join their pact?

With the qualifier of my comments simply being what I have seen from him since he has ‘come back’ - he is a non-nonsense type who just gets on with it. Does his runs, makes his tackles and can if needed ball play a bit.

He is that big body we have cried out for, for so long. Just a genuine big tough prop. Not one of the glamour ‘superstars’ but the sort of prop you need to anchor a solid pack.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter which club you are, you have 5 forwards on the pitch at the start of the game, typically 3 on the bench and you need depth cover for injuries / rep football.

Signing or re-signing 10 or more forwards isn’t a ‘worry’ it’s a necessity. Of those 10, Glenn and Gillett do not have long careers relatively speaking simply because of their age. With Glenn specifically I’ll be surprised if he is with us beyond this year. He may because he is apparently cheap, but I suspect more than likely he’ll move on.

And I'd say our depth will get a clean out after this season Fensom, Tags, Mago, Fai are probably out.

And I'd say our depth will get a clean out after this season Fensom, Tags, Mago, Fai are probably out.

I miss Mago

I have a weird affinity for the underrated fringe guys

I don’t know much about Bullemor. What’s his story?

18 year old forward, has modelled his game on Matt Gillett, although he began as a centre funnily enough. Also an OP 1 student from Nudgee College, so has the brains. This kids' going places fast.

Last edited:
With the qualifier of my comments simply being what I have seen from him since he has ‘come back’ - he is a non-nonsense type who just gets on with it. Does his runs, makes his tackles and can if needed ball play a bit.

He is that big body we have cried out for, for so long. Just a genuine big tough prop. Not one of the glamour ‘superstars’ bought the sort of prop you need to anchor a solid pack.
Lodge reminds me a lot of Paul Khan a big no nonsense guy who carts the ball up nearly twice every set. Khan liked to pass left to right and always managed to put roger Kuhn the fullback through a gap. I just know lodge can do this but he needs someone to trail him.

I suspect Turpin is playing for his future at the moment and Dargan will also likely leave.

The Broncos may also let O'Sullivan walk if he can secure a good contract for himself.

18. Izaia Perese
19. Gehamat Shibasaki
20. Jamil Hopoate
21. Jaydn Su'A

Development Players
31. Herbie Farnworth
32. Ilekena Vudogo
33. Tanah Boyd
34. Cory Paix
35. Ethan Bullemor

Juniors
36. Jordan Riki
37. Fanitesi Niu
38. Xavier Coates
39. Reece Walsh
40. Jake Simpkin
41. Josh James
42. Brendan Piakura

So there's around 9 spots they've got to fill. A few of those will be filled by development players, and a few players will be re-signed but there's plenty of spots up for grabs.

When people say this is a young squad, it extends beyond the 17. The entire squad is young and needs to be balanced better.

Last edited:
I think this is a good example of why to take everything said by story hungry journos with a grain of salt. It was very recently that Lodge apparently wanted out but the man himself has now stated how happy he is here. With some patience and if Seibs works some magic, our pack will gun down everything in its path.

Haas - 2023
Carrigan - 2022
Gillett - 2022
Ofahengaue - 2022
Lodge - 2022
TPJ - 2022
Fifita - 2020
Su'A - 2020
Flegler - TBA
Glenn - TBA

In the wake of our terrible season start, this is a fantastic dilemma to have and makes me very optimistic for the future. 2022 will be the end of Gillett, and also Glenn if he's not already gone. We will probably lose troops, but hopefully we keep the cream of the crop. Let's sit back and see how the young fellas develop.

Lodge reminds me a lot of Paul Khan a big no nonsense guy who carts the ball up nearly twice every set. Khan liked to pass left to right and always managed to put roger Kuhn the fullback through a gap. I just know lodge can do this but he needs someone to trail him.

Yup, we literally have no support play. It's on Seibold now but it has been an issue for years. Occasionally we get an offload and it's only Macca there to catch the ball standing flat footed and thinking about dummy half stuff. Fullbacks usually sniff around for offloads on the first few sets but Boyd isn't up for that sort of work anymore.

Development Players
31. Herbie Farnworth
32. Ilekena Vudogo
33. Tanah Boyd
34. Cory Paix
35. Ethan Bullemor

On second thought, I believe Niu is a development player as well.

Riki is the lone Queensland Cup rep who isn't apart of the NRL squad yet.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.