LOLZ @ Michael Phelps

He pretty much has a point. World Swimming is just farked at the moment. And he's got every right to boycott events, because no-name competitors are just smashing records.

More than fair IMHO. The World Championships are a joke ATM, and 140 records broken since February last year.. well warrented to be upset.

Yeah, they should rub the records set by people wearing the polyurethane suits. Swimming is rubbish at the moment, a total joke.

I might not like Phelps much but he's in the right on this case, FINA has botched this issue totally.

Yeh I can't much argue with Phelps here.

All the world records that were set in these suits should be scrapped. They can keep their gold medals because it was a level playing field.

Hows that girl who is flogging rice, she has gone from not even being able to qualify for world champs a few months ago to smashing world records by 2.5 seconds in a 200m race. The suits must influence some swimmers more than others, maybe its got something to do with body shapes???

While we are at it we'll get the 100m sprinters to wear sandshoes or go bare foot. Roger Federer can go back to using a wooden tennis racket and Dunlop volleys etc etc etc.

I have no problem with the "new suits" other than it makes them buoyant.... get rid of that factor and personally I don't see the issue.

Yep. If they're available to all competitors, what's the issue?

Dude Im sick and on a good day I have a hard time working shit out.

IMO even if the swim suit was available to everyone I still think its wrong.... the bouyancy part I have a problem with.. its swimming; not see who cam float the fastest.

I don't think they are available to everyone Coxy - I thought I read while the Olympics were on that a single suit costs a few thousand dollars and is only worn for 3 or 4 swims. I am sure this would affect some competitors - especially those without sponsorship trying to break into national teams.

I would like to see Phelps harden up and make a statement by winning a Gold medal without the suit while others still wear them. If the guy is as good as he claims he is he should be able to give it a shot I reckon.

Coxy said:
Yep. If they're available to all competitors, what's the issue?

When Stephanie Rice broke the IM world record at the Australian Championships, she beat her personal best by 6 seconds. IMO there should be only so much technology can do for athletes.

World Records used to be the hardest thing in the world to do. These days they're almost expected.

They need to set boundaries. Golf is an example of this, they have limited head sizes on drivers to 460cc and the ball has to adhere fairly specific guidelines also a club known as a "chipper" was outlawed on all the major tours. These things would have given people an unfair advantage over others who chose to compete in a normal manner. You shouldn't be punished for wanting to play the sport in its normal manner because someone decides to shift the boundaries.

The Gymp said:
They need to set boundaries. Golf is an example of this, they have limited head sizes on drivers to 460cc and the ball has to adhere fairly specific guidelines also a club known as a "chipper" was outlawed on all the major tours. These things would have given people an unfair advantage over others who chose to compete in a normal manner. You shouldn't be punished for wanting to play the sport in its normal manner because someone decides to shift the boundaries.

Beautifully put mate icon_thumbs_u

I understand the "it's available to everyone" angle, but the fact remains; the suits afre waterproof!!!! FFS, it's a joke.

I've heard somewhere that back in the day competitive swimmers used to wear nothing while swimming. IMO they should bring that back.... especially for the Womens events

Mmmm Stephanie Rice

Anyway IMO they should ditch the suits... if it gives any advantage then they shouldn't be wearing them. The outcome should be based on your own abilities, not the abilities of the equipment you have available.

OK, then the same should apply to training facilities. Some of the poor countries don't have adequate weights setups, gyms etc. Weights training should be banned. It should just be their natural ability to swim.

And in sprinting, they should all run bare foot. It's not fair that the Yanks get scientifically engineered Nikes while people in Outer Transylgolia wear gutted squirrel carcasses.

If you're going to argue about an even playing field then you have to go the whole way.

And if they ban suits now, then any world records won in the past 4-5 years using those suits should be stricken from the books, because they'll never be matched.

Coxy said:
And if they ban suits now, then any world records won in the past 4-5 years using those suits should be stricken from the books, because they'll never be matched.

That's the stupid part. They're banning them from next year but all records stand :roll: It's like saying 'hey take steroids now and break a world record'

Dave said:
I would like to see Phelps harden up and make a statement by winning a Gold medal without the suit while others still wear them. If the guy is as good as he claims he is he should be able to give it a shot I reckon.

Phelps is one of the only ones actually not wearing the suit. He backed his own ability and had come up trumps winning all his individual events and breaking his old world marks. He threw his toys out of the cot when he lost the 200 free WR to the German in the suit. Can't say i blame him really.... bring back the DTs!

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.