NEWS Macca is as good as gone

Definitely a win win, frees up cap space and leaves us with one less headache to deal with before the season starts. Hopefully Turpin has an injury free season so we don't have to rely on our 3rd or 4th option Hooker.

Danny Levi? Come on.
“Not to be cocky but I’ve always thought I was better than a lot of the hookers in the NRL but I thought I was never given a fair chance to show it,” - Danny Levi

To copy from Reddit.
Well he's another Kiwi/Samoan/Maori so culturally he's a good fit. Anyone but a NSWelshman.

So we free up cap space for.... what exactly can we spend it on.

Is it possible to offer a signing bonus for a 2022 signing??

Sign for 3 yr and get $100k up front as a signing bonus, but because it's paid this year it goes to this year's cap??

If McInnes to Sharks in the lock position, can we request for Toby Rudolph.

Underrated but a fantastic bench player who bends the line back and would be an instant improvement over Kennedy, Hoppa, Te'o and Glenn

In the long run would be way cheaper then the young insta kids currently coming through who all want to sign 'Fifita' deals without proving a thing at the club yet.

Last edited:
Damn it now we’re stuck with Derpin

How is anyone complaining about this? This frees up money and nearly every person on this forum was not wanting Macca to play this year.

Broncos fans: “I can’t believe this plodder is picking up his option so he can rehab here and then provide nothing on the field, we need his money”

Also Broncos fans: “Why have we released him and freed up 500k? Once again this club has fucked up!”

How is anyone complaining about this? This frees up money and nearly every person on this forum was not wanting Macca to play this year.

Broncos fans: “I can’t believe this plodder is picking up his option so he can rehab here and then provide nothing on the field, we need his money”

Also Broncos fans: “Why have we released him and freed up 500k? Once again this club has fucked up!”
Because one of our biggest issues in 2020 was defence and if we aren’t replacing him with anyone worthwhile then why bother? More of the same. Also nobody is really blowing up that we have more money, that’s not a very honest description. We just want to see something for all of these releases

So we free up cap space for.... what exactly can we spend it on.

Is it possible to offer a signing bonus for a 2022 signing??

Sign for 3 yr and get $100k up front as a signing bonus, but because it's paid this year it goes to this year's cap??
I'm guessing it's legal to frontload a contract. No idea, though.

I'm guessing it's legal to frontload a contract. No idea, though.
Wouldn't front loading be for 2022 onwards though??

Which Macca's money doesnt help with (as he was off contract anyway)

Not if we re-sign them to an upgraded deal effective immediately and front load.

We could definitely give out 5x100k re-signing bonuses by re-signing and extending said players with an extra 100k on their first year, which would be this year's cap.

Good riddance I say but another part of me thinks that the coach is doing this just to get his son to the Broncos.
One of our young rookies will be shipped off to the Tigers to make that happen.
Talk of Levi is just a smokescreen, Turpin and Paix will be fighting it out every week for the utility role while Billy Walters will be the starting 9 as long as his dad is the coach.

Now that would be messed up, don't you think?! 💩

Last edited:

Not if we re-sign them to an upgraded deal effective immediately and front load.

We could definitely give out 5x100k re-signing bonuses by re-signing and extending said players with an extra 100k on their first year, which would be this year's cap.
What if we used our ex-hooker money to buy literal hookers for the team after every win?

Last edited:

That would require mutual agreement to cancel the current contract, which would need to go through the NRL... and they just stopped players from being able to get an upgrade on their current deals ie. the Matterson rule where they kick stones and then sign somewhere else for double the cash.

Last edited:
That would require mutual agreement to cancel the current contract, which would need to go through the NRL... and they just stopped players from being able to get an upgrade on their current deals ie. the Matterson rule where they kick stones and then sign somewhere else for double the cash.

Nah, it happens all the time. The Matterson rule is only if a new club wants them, not the incumbent club.

Not too many people on here seem to have much time for Paix.
I'm quite happy for Macca to move on and give us some cap breathing space and i think he is on on the downward slide whereas Paix will only get better.
Hopefully signing some of our up and comers will be Maccas legacy to the club moving forward.

When did that rule come into effect? I've only seen it rumoured, is it official now? Even so like @Morkel said that would be to a new club so it gives incumbent clubs an upper hand.

Can't see how the NRL can stop players from getting a better deal at their current club.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • Browny
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Mr Fourex
  • Battler
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.