Manly Sign Hoppa - 300K

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
Hoppa Jr signs $300k contract

WILLIAM Hopoate still has another year to run at Cromer High School - but already he earns more than his teachers.
Hopoate has created NRL history after finally signing a $300,000 deal with the same Manly club where his famous father starred.

The staggering contract, over three years, is the largest ever offered to a schoolboy and ends a furious bidding war that had six clubs scrapping for the boom full-back's signature.

"And," manager Tyran Smith says, "it's nothing compared to what this boy will eventually earn."

Still only 15, Hopoate boasts the build of Storm superstar Israel Folau and has represented Australian Schoolboys since 2007.

The kid with the famous surname is also tipped to be included in the Sea Eagles' 2009 NRL squad - despite HSC studies preventing him from training full-time.

"I've always supported Manly because of dad so now to be playing at the club, yeah it's all good," Hoppa Jr said.

"But dad also wants me to stay at school and graduate next year. He wants me to make sure I have something to fall back on in case I never make it in league."

Now pursuing a heavyweight boxing career, Hopoate Sr is constantly stressing the importance of discipline and sacrifice to his eldest of eight children.

The former NRL bad boy also insists there's "no way" his boy will ever be involved in the same controversies, negative headlines or lengthy stints on the sideline through suspension.

"Because William is nothing like me," the 1995 Australia tourists says.

"He's a lot better player and doesn't have the same hot head. I know there's going to be some comparisons. Pressure. But my time is finished ... this is all about William."

The unique deal represents the first major strike for Sportsplayer Management - a fledgling company overseen by Hopoate Sr and fellow NRL retiree Tyran Smith.

Boasting a plush high-rise office in Sydney's CBD, the seasoned duo aim to create a bold new voice for promising Polynesian and Aboriginal players.

"Everyone has been talking about fronting for the Islander and Aboriginal boys - but right now no one is walking the walk," Smith says.

"So that's what we're about, giving these players the advice, support and financial knowledge that we never received ourselves.

"Because plenty of guys I played with left the game with nothing. They were dudded, pushed into bad investments ... how does anyone let this happen?

"So we want to change that. If players come to us with the right tools and attitude, we're going to make sure they get all the results they deserve."

And it's started with Hopoate. The only kid on the Northern Beaches who can now spot his teachers a loan.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

0152.jpg

Seriously. He cannot be THAT good.

Wow, I thought it was 300K per year at first. Finding out it's over 3 years makes it kinda meh. It's still impressive though. I'd like to see how he goes.

100k a year not much?

For a 17 year old its like a trillion dollars.

for a 15 year old you mean, thats 2 grand a week for a 15 year old FARKING WOW!

Lachy said:
100k a year not much?

For a 17 year old its like a trillion dollars.

Did I say it wasn't much?I said the 300K in the title made it sound a lot more impressive than it actually was - and it was still impressive though.

No wonder players go off the rails these days. If I was earning 2K a week when I was 15, I would have gotten in to all sorts of trouble. Players these days have too much time of their hand and too much money

I thought the minimum for a player on the NRL books has been upped to $55k. Can anyone confirm?

Either way, to be on almost double that at his age... wow!

mick! said:
I thought the minimum for a player on the NRL books has been upped to $55k. Can anyone confirm?

Either way, to be on almost double that at his age... wow!
Yeah, Used to be 35k, they raised it to 55k, brad morrin at the bulldogs is on 55k a year, hes already earning more than him [icon_ee

I think you'll find most of this deal is based around incentives that he'll find it very difficult to acheive.

Still, nice coin for a kid

Be interesting to see if Manly plead poor in the next few years. Not doubt they will then ask for assistance from the NRL to stay afloat. He hasn't even started his NRL career, and if he becomes a superstar then no one will be able to afford or fit him under their salary cap. Maybe the NRL should put a limit on what juniors can get. This is a lot of money for a 15 year old kid.

RodF said:
Be interesting to see if Manly plead poor in the next few years. Not doubt they will then ask for assistance from the NRL to stay afloat. He hasn't even started his NRL career, and if he becomes a superstar then no one will be able to afford or fit him under their salary cap. Maybe the NRL should put a limit on what juniors can get. This is a lot of money for a 15 year old kid.

IMO, should be limited to 30k a year for anyone who is not playing premier league.

Six digits? He's clearly got smaller fingers than his old man.

I saw him last night on the footy show. He's hot.

Good luck to him, I hope he lives up to the pressure now of being a big signing. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • lynx000
  • broncoscope
  • Financeguy
  • john1420
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Hurrijo
  • kiwibronco
  • Skyblues87
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.