NEWS Maranta: Broncos' heirarchy must answer for rubbish

The broncos should go to siebold and say ‘can you turn this around?’
Naturally he will say yes.
The then should say well we want you to back yourself and scrap your current contract and take a 2 year deal that can be extended if you do turn things around.
Naturally he won’t which shows the stupidity of the 5 year deal.
I doubt he will see it out anyway and if he gets punted at some stage white should be as well.

Brisbane founder Barry Maranta unloads
on Broncos CEO Paul White

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 16, 2019 5:39pm

dismay

Broncos founding father Barry Maranta has turned up the heat on CEO Paul White and chairman Karl Morris by questioning Brisbane’s leadership and expressing dismay at handing coach Anthony Seibold a five-year deal.

ridiculous

Maranta found allies in several former Broncos, with club greats Greg Dowling and Steve Renouf lashing Brisbane’s board for the “ridiculous” decision to hand Seibold the longest contract for a rookie coach in NRL history. White confirmed a full review of the club would be held and Maranta, the man who helped give birth to the Broncos in 1988, said the front office should not be immune to any potential overhaul at Red Hill.

Broncos Founder Barry Maranta isn’t happy with the state of the club. Photo: Glenn Barnes

Broncos Founder Barry Maranta isn’t happy with the state of the club. Photo: Glenn Barnes

would not have happened

Maranta took aim at Broncos players for failing the club’s fans by serving up “rubbish” in a 58-0 finals loss to the Eels that rings alarm bells for Brisbane’s five-year, $3 million investment in Seibold. “The front office of a major franchise has a responsibility to provide a base for the coaching staff and from what I can see, the challenge is not being met at the Broncos,” Maranta said. “I can’t imagine giving a coach a five-year deal. It’s the sort of business decision that would not have happened under our watch.

worst thing I have seen from the Broncos

“Most businesses today would not sign a coach or CEO for five years. You have to have certain KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) to earn a contract of that length. “That (58-0 drubbing by the Eels) was the worst thing I have seen from the Broncos. “Where does the club go now? I hope the administration are having a serious look at it. “The Broncos are a $40 to $50 million business and they have to start playing accordingly with the same research and development of any other business operating of that size.

White is under scrutiny after the embarrassing defeat. Photo: Annette Dew

White is under scrutiny after the embarrassing defeat. Photo: Annette Dew

massive problems and stress

“Once a football franchise starts to go down, it requires 10 times the energy to get it back up again. Think of South Sydney, who required street marches and Russell Crowe’s millions to rescue the club. “That’s why the original founders (Steve Williams, Gary Balkin, Paul Morgan and Maranta) were so fastidious about not letting the Broncos go into decline. “Once a business starts to go down, you have massive problems and stress. Why we worked so aggressively to get everything right was to avoid the Broncos struggling. I studied sporting franchises for 10 years before the Broncos were born.

state of shock

“I’m in a state of shock. I don’t feel sorry for the players, they get paid good money and they have to perform. But for the fans to fly down to Sydney and watch that rubbish, they were let down badly.”

Does the club have option but to stick with Seibold? Photo: Matt King/Getty Images

Does the club have option but to stick with Seibold? Photo: Matt King/Getty Images

heads should roll

Dowling said heads should roll for the Broncos board, chaired by Morris, rubber-stamping Seibold’s signing until the end of 2023. “Someone has to be in the firing line over this. I can’t believe Broncos management gave Seibold a five-year deal, how ridiculous,” he said. “Prudent management would have given Seibold a two-year deal with a possible option but to get five years is madness. “What happens if the Broncos falter next year and they have to sever ties with the coach. The Broncos will be under fire because they would face paying out Seibold $2 million-plus to move him on. It’s an expensive exercise.

Monday Bunker: Fixing the Broncos spine

harden up

“The Broncos had some real beltings on the road in Sydney and that tells me their group has a mental problem. They need to harden up. “Seibold will be in the firing line if he doesn’t get results next year. That finish was an absolute disaster.” Renouf added: “I don’t believe any coach should ever get a five-year deal. I don’t agree with it, but the board has given it to him and now they have to make it work.”

I love Maranta but he's being selective in his memory. He gave Bennett a five year contract in 1991 when the sack him roar was deafening. He rang Kelliher said organise a press conference tomorrow- they all turned up for the Bennett sacked press conference and he announced signed for five years.

I love Maranta but he's being selective in his memory. He gave Bennett a five year contract in 1991 when the sack him roar was deafening. He rang Kelliher said organise a press conference tomorrow- they all turned up for the Bennett sacked press conference and he announced signed for five years.

Didn't they offer him a lifetime deal in response to that? Or am I remembering wrong?

Does Seibold's support staff bother anyone else? Who the **** are they?

That doesn’t make it right for siebold though.

The length of the contract was my main gripe. I mean I didn’t think he’d do well, but then to compound it by signing such a massive contract baffled me.

Didn't they offer him a lifetime deal in response to that? Or am I remembering wrong?

Yep , he needs to review his staff, bring in ben Walker to get different ideas from. And he can bring his son back after being coached by cronk.

That doesn’t make it right for siebold though.

“I can’t imagine giving a coach a five-year deal. It’s the sort of business decision that would not have happened under our watch."
[automerge]1568674495[/automerge]
Yep , he needs to review his staff, bring in ben Walker to get different ideas from. And he can bring his son back after being coached by cronk.

Ben has retired and I am betting you've never seen Sam play.
[automerge]1568674613[/automerge]

It's retold sometimes as life time but in reality it was five years. I could imagine Porky saying life time.

Last edited:
this is the problem though; everyone is going to believe they have carte-blanch to sink the boot in...where whats required is informed and targeted recommendations and advice before this decline becomes systemic.

Having said that Maranta speaks a lot of truths here...

Seibold being given a 5 year contract is one of the dumbest decisions I have seen made by an NRL club. He was a one year NRL coach FFS!

Add the Boyd contract into the mix and how bad has this club been run the past few years.

Last edited:
Seibold being given a 5 year contract is one of the dumbest decisions I have seen made by an NRL club. He was a one year NRL coach FFS!

Add the Boyd contract into the mix and how bad has this club been run the past few years.

Perhaps the five year plan included phasing Boyd/Macca out over the first two? Three year deal would have suited me if such a plan was in place.

Perhaps the five year plan included phasing Boyd/Macca out over the first two? Three year deal would have suited me if such a plan was in place.

...if it was planned then for me it would have meant the contracts were front loaded and decreased substantially as each year clocked over...

I reckon that's NOT the case so i now watch on as the club i love and support for 30+ years is bleeding out for the whole Rugby League World to see...

...if it was planned then for me it would have meant the contracts were front loaded and decreased substantially as each year clocked over...

I reckon that's NOT the case so i now watch on as the club i love and support for 30+ years is bleeding out for the whole Rugby League World to see...

Isn't that the case with Boyd though? His contract goes down and has stipulations now about number of games.

i think you are right for Boyd, but for the rest...thats the crux of my reply..?

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Manlyman
  • Morkel
  • Mick_Hancock
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • The Don
  • Johnny92
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gympie devil
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Lurker
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.