Mark Gasnier - Aussie Captain?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I know it's old news, but are people serious when they say Gasnier has a good chance of being the next Kangaroo's captain?

Because, IMO it would be an absolute joke if he was appointed.

I agree. It would be highly embarrassing I think.

It'll be Smith - he was captain for the Test last year and Gaz was in that team. Can't see it happening unless Gaz gives the board some of his special sauce.

The Rock said:
He'd be a top captain. But why would he be in favour over Cameron Smith?

Why name a guy captain who has had several run ins with the wrong crowd off the field, plays for a crap side which have no winning culture whatsoever, doesn't talk or play like a natural leader of men. I would give it to Smith, Thurston, Price, Civo, Bailey, Hunt, Hodges all before him...christ he wouldn't make my test team right at the moment let alone be my captain. He is and can be a brilliant player but there is no way he is Australian captain material. I would prefer Mason and that is saying something.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
[quote="The Rock":18vpfyc1]He'd be a top captain. But why would he be in favour over Cameron Smith?

Why name a guy captain who has had several run ins with the wrong crowd off the field, plays for a crap side which have no winning culture whatsoever, doesn't talk or play like a natural leader of men. I would give it to Smith, Thurston, Price, Civo, Bailey, Hunt, Hodges all before him...christ he wouldn't make my test team right at the moment let alone be my captain. He is and can be a brilliant player but there is no way he is Australian captain material. I would prefer Mason and that is saying something.[/quote:18vpfyc1]

Quality post mate. [eusa_clap.gi

I think an Australian Captain has to have leadership skills on and OFF the field. Hence why Gaz would be a crap Aussie Capt

I've never really seen much leadership by him on the field not to mention off the field. What exactly makes him stick out on the field these days anyway? Aside from the regular shimmy and half a line break, I don't see him much of a leader.

Darren Lockyer
Cam Smith
Jonathan Thurston
Petero Civoniceva
Nathan Hindmarsh

All well before Gasnier. I've probably missed a few as well.

Je$ter said:
Darren Lockyer
Cam Smith
Jonathan Thurston
Petero Civoniceva
Nathan Hindmarsh

All well before Gasnier. I've probably missed a few as well.

I'd drop Hindmarsh from that list. I think his rep career is coming to an end. Although, so is Petero's.

I'd have Karmichael in that leadership group, assuming he doesn't get edged out of the fullback role by anybody. I can't imagine he would.

I agree. I think after the world cup we will see a mass exodus of players from the rep scence. Hindy, Civo, Locky, Price are all probably in their last year of rep footy.

For someone so young, Karmichael Hunt has so many great leadership qualities, if he can hold his spot he should def be in the 'Roos leadership group.

Je$ter said:
I agree. I think after the world cup we will see a mass exodus of players from the rep scence. Hindy, Civo, Locky, Price are all probably in their last year of rep footy.

For someone so young, Karmichael Hunt has so many great leadership qualities, if he can hold his spot he should def be in the 'Roos leadership group.

Hunt and Smith (form and selection provided) are the obvious long term options to lead the Roos. Though both have challengers which is good for the game with any number of fullbacks Bowen, Slater, Stewart, Mini, Mackinnon,Inglis, Hayne and then Farah in particular challenging their places.

If Lockyer is unavailable, it should be Smith.

If Smith is unavailable, however, that poses some problems. I guess they'd just look to a stand-in for the meantime, because Smith wouldn't really be out for long. In that scenario, Civo and Hindmarsh are both completely fine choices.

Gas wouldn't make my top five, and I think no one but Smith is the long-term solution to the captaincy when Locky retires from rep footy (which will most likely be after this year's World Cup, one would imagine).

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't feel proud to support a team captained by Gasnier. Lies about his involvement in the shootings, his toeyness and hot sauce incident.

His off-field dickheadedness is too much. He doesn't deserve it on or off the field.

Aussie said:
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't feel proud to support a team captained by Gasnier. Lies about his involvement in the shootings, his toeyness and hot sauce incident.

His off-field dickheadedness is too much. He doesn't deserve it on or off the field.

Well said.

Whilst he wouldn't be one of my top 3 choices, if he cleans up his off-field act then I think he would be just as good a captain as several others. Past behaviours shouldn't be held against him forever. Different sport I know, but Ricky Ponting has a number of off-field incidents in his career but cleaned his act up and has been a great Australian captain.

Flutterby said:
Whilst he wouldn't be one of my top 3 choices, if he cleans up his off-field act then I think he would be just as good a captain as several others. Past behaviours shouldn't be held against him forever. Different sport I know, but Ricky Ponting has a number of off-field incidents in his career but cleaned his act up and has been a great Australian captain.

You didn't just compare 'Gaz' to the great 'Punter' did you?? :shock: [eusa_naugh [eusa_naugh

Active Now

• Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.